"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks for the commraderie Spork! I should be finishing my taxes. I just noticed though that the number of images I have put in members photos, shows in my profile on any of my posts, so for quick access anyone who wants to see them can click on that numeral. It's not as tidy as all of the other challengers posts, but it will have to do for now.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Thanks for the commraderie Spork! I should be finishing my taxes. I just noticed though that the number of images I have put in members photos, shows in my profile on any of my posts, so for quick access anyone who wants to see them can click on that numeral. It's not as tidy as all of the other challengers posts, but it will have to do for now.
Can you e-mail the pics to me? I could post them for you from my computer.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny
I shopped at the Quickie Mart, it used to be called "Toads" it's a gas station/convenience store.

Green Appletini
1 sour apple Slushy (it was half way melted by the time I got home, stuffed it in the freezer.
sour green gummy rings for garnish
I did add a splash of vodka (I think this puts me over on pantry items) oops!
Just spooned the Slush into a Martini glass splashed in some Vodka and garnished with the the gummy ring.

It was tasty, I could really taste the sour apple. I don't like sweets much, but it wasn't too sweet. DH liked it too, he isn't much of a Martini drinker.
We both thought it was refreshing.
Drink - take 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1149074698.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	10558   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3497595602.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	10559  

Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Appetizer

Cheese Souffle
I have never made Souffle before, but why not try and if I failed at least I would be among friends. I knew the basics so try I did. I started by making a standard 2 Cup bechemel/white sauce and added 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese & 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. I used one cup of the bechelmel, 2 egg yolks and 3 "hand whipped" egg whites. I tempered the egg yolks with the slightly cooled bechemel before incorporating the yolks completely. Then gently folded in the the egg whites. The mixture was poured in to Ramekins that had been lightly greased with butter. They were baked at 400 for 15 minutes and the oven temp was reduced to 350 for another 10 minutes. (I thought they were browning to quickly)
They rose to perfection climbing out of their little dishes and reaching for the sky.
Well they were perfect and they stayed that way long enough for me to get pictures and have the first bite. I am smitten! They were light and airy with nice cheese flavor. I wanted more! And since there were 5 I had another! DH liked them, he said they were "cheesy,light and fluffly, they are pretty good!"
Old 04-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Here are the pics of the Souffle and the Landjaeger sausage, Slim Jim bites and ham and cheese roll ups The sausages are kind of self explanatory, the ham and cheese rollups were made by sprinkling shredded sharp cheddar on Budig ham slices and rolling up; all came from the convenience store. Dh liked them but said he "prefers pepperoni. I love the Landjaeger sausage. Ham and cheese, well it's just ham and cheese how bad could it be? ;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3409392863.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	10560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2839921142.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	10561  

Old 04-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Can you e-mail the pics to me? I could post them for you from my computer.
Thanks Fi.........I think I've got it now. I am able to post pics from my IPhone. Thank goodness that I took pictures with the camera and the phone. Some pics are better on the phone and some are better on the camera, but you have to go with what you've got! Thanks again for the offer to help, you rock!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Main Dish

Scalloped Potato Chips and Spam

I used the other half of my Bechamel sauce for this dish. I started by coating the bottom of my baking dish with about 1/4 of the sauce, then layered in Salt and Pepper chips and topped that with a few crushed Funyons for some onion flavor, then about a third of a cup of diced Spam which I lightly fried first. A layer of sauce and repeat with a layer of the veggie (potato only) chips (I just wanted to see, since they seemed to be a much less greasy chip how they would work) another 1/3 of a cup or so of the Spam, more crushed Funyons and a Final layer of Salt and Pepper chips and the last of the Bechamel sauce. I then sprinkled with shredded sharp cheddar (boy that cheddar makes an appearace everywhere) My thought was that by using the Salt & Pepper Chips that I wouldn't need salt and pepper, I was right.

The potatoes were creamy and not salty like I might have expected. They were very rich and you could taste the pepper and slight onion flavor from the Funyons. The Spam gave a nice "almost" ham flavor and really was pretty tasty. Overall I liked it, but it was pretty rich.
DH said "There's nothing wrong with this, I would eat it again. It's good"

Name:	2011_03100070.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	10562

Name:	2011_03100139.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10564

Name:	2011_03100067.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	10565
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011_03100138.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	10563  
Old 04-10-2011, 03:33 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Side Dish

Corn and Bean Salsa Salad

This was a refreshing side made with a can of Green Giant Mexican Corn, 2/3 of a can of Caribbean Black Beans 1/2 a can of green beans and not quite 1/2 a can of garbonzo beans. I drained the black beans retaining the liquid for something else, and hoping that enough of their flavorful sauce still clung to them to give the "salad" some flavor(being limited on what pantry items I could still use). Green Giant corn comes packed in very little liquid, so no draining necessary. I just spooned in what was a little less than 1/2 of the garbonzos sans any liquid, and cut up into smaller pieces about 1/2 of the can of green beans. I mixed 1/2 tsp of dry mustard with 2 T. of vinegar and 2T. of vegetable oil and a couple of grinds of salt. This I poured over the salad. This "Salsa/Salad was served with the Tomato and Spinach chips that I didn't use in the potatoes, they worked well for scooping.

This was very good it was a nice contrast to the richness of the potatoes. I did think it could have had a little more spice to it. DH like it and said " this is good, it would make a good summer salad or side dish".
I said "no kidding, could that be because we have had something very similar the last couple of summers?" Seriously, I have made something like this but with alot more herbs and spice and my beloved onions!

I had really wanted to do the Orange Julius drink, so I served that with the main meal. It was refreshing, but DH said it wasn't orangy enough. It wasn't very sweet which was fine for me, but it probably should have had some simple syrup added. But I couldn't afford another "pantry item"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011_03100138.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	10566   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_03100064.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	10567  

Name:	2011_03100072.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	10568  
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Dessert

Deep Fried Zingers and Ding Dongs

I have never eaten a Zinger before, but have eaten a Ding Dong as a child/teen. I have heard of people deep frying Twinkies so I thought I would giv it a shot with the Zingers and Ding Dongs. I started by making a batter with 1 C. of flour 1 C. of milk 2 T. of vinegar 1 T. of oil and 1 tsp. of baking soda. I froze the victims for several hours, when it was time for their hot tub, I first dredged them in flour then dipped in the batter, then it was "everybody into the pool" well not really, it was one at a time so that I could control the heat and figure out what I was doing. I fried them for about 5 minutes turning to brown on all sides. I removed from oil to drain on paper towel. They were then plated and drizzled with melted "Cookies and Cream chocolate bar and served with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. THe ingredients for the batter except for the milk came from my pantry, everything else came from the convenience store.

I enjoyed the crunchy exterior of the Zinger, but thought the Zinger itself was a little to sweet for me. Overall not bad. It didn't need the added sweetness from the chocolate bar. I thought the Ding Dong tasted better, maybe because it wasn't so sweet. DH thought they were "okay, but said why would I deep fry a ding dong when I could just eat it with out all the work?" I think he changed his mind when he later discovered the un-fried mate to the one eaten earlier, took a big bite and said " Boy that's really really dry" I thought the same thing BTW I only fried one of each and DH and I shared some of each.

Pictures are going in the next post, as I am having trouble again! This is the second time I have written this description/critique.......I want to to go bed!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Here are the dessert pics. Whew! I'm finally done!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3623889971.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	10569   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1046868963.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	10570