"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 02-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #131
Sous Chef

When I was a teen and learning to cook, my signature dish was anything I didn't burn.

Today, I guess it's my unusual spaghetti or my chicken soup that's so thick DH calls it "chicken stew."

Old 10-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #132
Sous Chef

Smile Sausage Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
People rave about several dishes I make. Here are a few. I could never choose one.

Macaroni Salad with tomato rose garnish

Mini Spinach Pies

Cheese and Potato Blintz

Sausage Bread

Do you have a recipe posted for your sausage bread? My family would love it!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #133
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two dishes also. Lamb or Beef Stew with barley and a Yankee Pot Roast. I do have other dishes I am asked to make for family. Pies, cheesecake and other deserts. I am the family desert maker. My daughter makes anything Italian. (Not my favorite cuisine.) Pirate and Spike like to make curry dishes. Something they both learned from their father.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #134
Senior Cook

Cassoulet
Coq a Vin using a real 'old rooster'. Easily had around here for free. Just Goggle 'Used Victoria' and there are always people wanting to find an old rooster (pet) a 'new home'.
I never tell them where the rooster is going to end up. LOL
Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #135
Assistant Cook

I am a veggie and i like to have sweet pototoes salad mix with some walnuts.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #136
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingunrefined View Post
I am a veggie and i like to have sweet pototoes salad mix with some walnuts.
I am a veggie, too, and I have never heard of such a combo as you describe. Could you possible share the recipe if it is not too much trouble? Many thanx.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #137
Senior Cook

I'd say my signature dish is paella and yes, I use Spanish saffron and Spanish paprika.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #138
Assistant Cook

I enjoyed reading this thread - especially the closely guarded secret of the foie gras whatevers.... I often giggle when I read things like "I make the best xxx in the WORLD" ... it's all subjective, isn't it? I mean seriously, you *could* make the best paella in the world, but I think seafood is disgusting, so.... see? It's just a matter of one person's opinion. And that's the sad part, because we pour our hearts and souls into cooking and we really do hang our fragile egos on our sleeves.. and along comes KDJ who hates fish and my sense of worth is shot to ****.

So I don't go by these proclamations or signature dishes as a means to validate who I am or what I do... but I do look at the results. A gathering of people, enriched by each other and their gifts..their selfless contributions... giving the gift of their creativity... and how food forges relationships. Not food as a means of survival, but food as a means to learn about ourselves and each other.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #139
Head Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDJ View Post
I enjoyed reading this thread - especially the closely guarded secret of the foie gras whatevers.... I often giggle when I read things like "I make the best xxx in the WORLD" ... it's all subjective, isn't it? I mean seriously, you *could* make the best paella in the world, but I think seafood is disgusting, so.... see? It's just a matter of one person's opinion. And that's the sad part, because we pour our hearts and souls into cooking and we really do hang o

ur fragile egos on our sleeves.. and along comes KDJ who hates fish and my sense of worth is shot to ****.

So I don't go by these proclamations or signature dishes as a means to validate who I am or what I do... but I do look at the results. A gathering of people, enriched by each other and their gifts..their selfless contributions... giving the gift of their creativity... and how food forges relationships. Not food as a means of survival, but food as a means to learn about ourselves and each other.
You are like a breath of fresh air in what can become a stuffy atmosphere! I especially like you being outspoken and daring to call it how you see it (I can be too!)

However, if I have got it right (going by the OP), then I think the definition of a signature dish here just denotes something we uphold as a dish we do well rather than saying "I am a well made lasagna!" We can all make lots of dishes well and so it is just a way of saying, so far, this is what I excel at.

Er...just in case I am wrong here
Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #140
Assistant Cook

But am I alone in going on "kicks?" I mean, today I made meat pies. I make them every so often, but maybe today I'll think, "hmm, I can do this better, I wonder how it would be if I caramelized the onions, threw in a pinch of kofte spice, and added some goat cheese?" (Actually that sounds pretty darn good!) And then I'll work them and work them for a few weeks, until I'm satisfied - then I move on to the next thing. Over a few decades it's hard to nail down that one thing... it's more like the one thing I've done recently.

But if you're going to push, well then fine. I'm in. I make a killer quiche..unless you don't like eggs, in which case you'll hate it. :)