"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

What's Your Signature Dish?

So, the GC Challenge - Signature Dish has taken the same format at the Hamburger thread.

A "signature dish" is just a fancy name for your favourite "go to" meal when you don't know what to cook. Or, the things that others constantly rave about and want more (i.e. fatties for Pacanis, pancakes for Goodweed, etc.). It does not have to be fancy at all. Then tell us a little bit about why this is so dear to you. Again, you don't have to write much and it can be funny, serious, but is just a little insight into your cooking and you.

You can start posting any time right here in this thread. Pictures are not necessary and recipes should be posted in their proper category and linked to the thread. Other than that, anything goes!

"Voting" will commence on August 31st so you have lots of time! I look forward to seeing what everyone submits!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My Chicken/Sausage/Shrimp Gumbo may be my top dish. I get more requests for that one than any other. I'm fortunate in that my mother (who is 100% Louisiana Cajun) taught me how to make it the same way her mother made it. Oh, she taught me other dishes as well, such as Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, Po' Boys of all kinds, Baked Duck, Venison Chili, Fried Chicken and Oyster Stew, but Gumbo is the one I like making the best! Much of the food I just listed came from uncles and cousins who were hunters and fishermen, and I have many fond memories of the their stories about how they shot or gathered it. But Gumbo is something that I can make most any day because I almost always keep those ingredients handy.

It wasn't easy to learn to make it good consistently. Making a roux takes practice, but once mastered, will serve many other dishes.

As I'm typing this very sentence, I have a pot of Gumbo simmering for my lunch. That with a side salad and some sourdough bread will be my big meal for the day.

I also make outstanding pizzas and artisan breads, but Gumbo has a special place in my heart.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I'll have to think about whether I want to post what I believe is my best dish and what some others think is my best dish
Old 08-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

When I was a young tyke, about from birth until present time, my favorite breakfast was that served to me at my Grandpa Flowers house. It usually went something like this:
A bowl of cereal or milk with bread and sugar, followed by two to three poached eggs (from an egg poaching pan), followed by pancakes and sausage. My Grandpa would make the same kind of pancakes my Dad made, Aunt Jemima pancakes using the recipe from the box. He would serve them up fresh while singing; "Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I ought-ta know, 'cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time."

2nd favorite breakfast Pancakes at my Dad's house with sausage, and sausage grease spread over the fresh pancakes.

First thing I learned to cook - pancakes.

After becoming an adult, and when I started to take cooking seriously, and as an art form, I received a good from-scratch pancake recipe. Sometimes it came out good when I used it, and sometimes the pancakes came out amazing. Due to PAG's observations, I eventually perfected the recipe so that the pancakes always come out amazing. I posted the recipe under quickbreads, cakes, and muffins for all to enjoy, plus a few variations.

Though I can present far more complex, fancy, and exhalted recipes, none say Bob Flowers like my pancakes do. Just ask anyone in my family, or in my church, or on D.C.

My signature dish is pancakes. But oh what I can do with waffles.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

G.W's Signanature Dish Link

Whoops, here's the link: Goodweed's Signature Dish?

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Selkie and GW. Those are both wonderful stories and food. Selkie, are you willing to give us the recipe or a picture? GW, any pancake pics you want to show? These aren't necessary, just if you feel comfortable!

Niquejim, we would love to have you share!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

People rave about several dishes I make. Here are a few. I could never choose one.

Macaroni Salad with tomato rose garnish

Mini Spinach Pies

Cheese and Potato Blintz

Sausage Bread

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Master Chef

msmofet,

Don't forget the biscuits!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
msmofet,

Don't forget the biscuits!
LOL There are way to many to pick just one!

Buttermilk Biscuits

Mocha Brownies

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in the recipe I have for Ravioli and or pasta sauce It's a long cooking sauce but it is so tasty and smells so great. Mom and M-I-L both made this and I learned by asking both of them how to. I also learned how to make home made raviloli by sneaking aroun and watching when they thought I was outside or asleep. Then I just said let's shop and when someone gave me that old pinch of this or a handful of that I'd whip out a measuring cup and say put it in here Let's say there were times my M-I-L's eyebrows hit her hair line but Now I can make all her goodies and that keeps people asking when ya gonna?
kades