"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuaranteedGF View Post
I've also found that if you use a news reader to get your RSS feeds, you can have their web crawler grab that info for you. I have mine (I use google's reader) set to "recipe contests" and each day I get links to blogs and newspaper posts about contests. These links don't necessarily list new contests, but I've learned a lot from reading the blogs of avid food contest contestants and I have learned of many contests.

Stacy
NY, NY
Great ideal Stacy. I have set it up!!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

I entered a cooking competition while in culinary school. I made it through the first two preliminary rounds and was one of 6 finalists to compete for the four spots in the major competition to represent our school. I had made the dish 12 times in practice and it came out perfect and under the 30 minute time limit.

However, when I was in the "competition" setting, Both the dish and I fell apart. There was a tie for the fourth spot between me and another student, but it was kind of "best of the worst" scenario and I thankfully lost. I will never enter competition cooking again.

But in many ways I won, because my dish became a vegitarian appetizer on our school restaurant menu! For me, the consolation prize was better than the chance to win a medal!

My point is that here at DC you are treated like a winner all the time and competition isn't necessarily as glamorous as it is made out to be.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Cook

Life's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I entered a cooking competition while in culinary school. ....... For me, the consolation prize was better than the chance to win a medal!

My point is that here at DC you are treated like a winner all the time and competition isn't necessarily as glamorous as it is made out to be.
As I get older I continue to find wisdom in the saying that life is about the journey and the discoveries we make along the way. The journey is often more memorable and rewarding then the destination.

For instance, you found great pleasure in seeing other enjoying the recipe, and you disliked having to "perform" as part of the contest. So perhaps contests where your recipe was judged only on it's merits and not how you deal with being in the spotlight might work for future contests.

Maybe for you cash isn't the ideal "prize" - perhaps you'd "get" more from the experience if part of the prize was seeing your recipe in a printed publication that you respect or having it added to the menu of an establishment you can be proud to be associated with. How you define accomplishment or satisfaction is personal.

There are so many contests out there and the requirements are just as varied. Prizes aren't always monetary and in person participation isn't always required.

I've learned that I do well cooking in person in front of groups. I've done many demo's and group cooking classes. I've learned that I don't care for contests that require me to submit a video tape. I may learn to like that medium, and I'm keeping an open mind about it, but those contests just don't get me excited about the process.

As with so many things in life, find something that "fits" and strikes you as fun. With any luck, the outcome, win, lose or draw, will leave you feeling like you've accomplished something. Sometimes the accomplishment may be something small, like developing a dish you're proud of and getting it in by the deadline!

Personally, I think that if a person's only motivation in life are the financial rewards, they're missing out on so much in their lives.

Stacy

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Stacy.

The truth is what I got out of this is not so much I don't LIKE to compete but that I don't have to. Prizes and 15 minutes of fame are not important to me. It is cooking good food and having others enjoy it, even if it is behind the scenes and they never know who I am.

This doesn't mean I am against contests - hey, I watch "Food Network Challenge" every night and love Top Chef! It just means I am content not going for the gold.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I agree

I agree with L P Beier and Guaranteed GF

For me I am wanting to expand in to trying to see how good I am at some contests.

But, the best blue ribbon for me is when friends and co-workers rave over my on personal recipes. They find out it is my on creation and not from a cookbook or other sorce.