Carrots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
interesting, I also am not one for fresh carrots, dh eats them fresh EVERY day:wacko:. I make my own v8 juice, but the other 7 veggies are not here right now! Still am gonna try buzzing some carrots and prob some onions. My celery and parsley plants are a wee bit small..

Miss Beth have you ever substituted a little basil or spinach for the parsley...or do you use those as a matter of course......

If there is a food bank in your area I am sure they would love to take any you cannot use.

Or one thing we have done, even with non food items we did not want and did not particularly feel like having a yard sale, is put the stuff on a table in front of the house and put out a sign saying free.

Wish we were your neighbor, love carrots.

UB, spinach will work!!! My basil only have 4 leaves per plant:(. I have over wintered a nice spinach patch.

oh auntdot, I wish you were a neighbor too. But the only neighbor that will drive by will already have been given carrots:ROFLMAO:. I might get 3 vehicles pass per day:LOL:! (same guy coming and going)

There are no food banks here, I live in a very sparsely populated area

My mom used to make carrot/pineapple Jello, with grated carrots, crushed pineapple and orange Jello. Drain the crushed pineapple and use the juice as part of the cold liquid. I loved it!

Here's a recipe I saw Paula Deen prepare on her show called Copper Pennies. I haven't tried it, but it looks good!Recipes : Sweet and Sour Carrots or Copper Pennies : Food Network

Thanks Connie, I was thinking about s/s carrots and had not looked up a recipe yet..Thanks!!!

... no local shelters here, but I will contact the local ministerial association..

If you have any pre-schools or home daycares, they might take some for healthy snacks. Even if you had a small elementary near you, you can get alot of carrot sticks out of just a few pounds.

Pickled, grated in turkey/duck dressing, boiled with pork saurkraut and potatoes, fritters. Then there's:

1) Martha Stewart's Carrot-Raspberry Puree
2) William Sonoma (Thanksgiving & Christmas) Glazed carrots
and parsnips
3) The Joy of Eating Natural Foods - Agnes Toms ; Carrot Loaf
4) Down on the Farm Cookbook - Helen Worth;Honey Carrot
Marmalade

Give it to some local vets. they can grind up and add to dog, cat, horse - all kinds of feed. Or local restaurants.

I found another recipe in a little book called;

New York Cook Book - by Golden West Publishers 2003

Creamy Carrot Casserole

(trivia from the book: The first all-electric house was built in Schenectady in 1903 / state motto - Excelsior (ever upward) /
subway opened Oct. 27, 1904 - today,468 subway stations with 5,811 trains that run 1,000,000 miles a day (2003) / the borough of Manhattan is 13 1/2 miles long, 2 1/3 miles wide / Central park is 840 acres / an italian immirant named Gennaro Lombardi opened the 1st pizzeria in the U.S. in 1895 in N.Y.C. / 1/3 of all battles from the Revolutionary War were fought in N.Y. / N.Y. is the 3rd largest dairy state in the U.S. / between 1892 and 1924 Ellis Island processed 12 BILLION immigrant. New
(2003) website est. to search for family records for that time period is ellisislandrecords.org

WOW, 61lbs. I think all the bases for uses have been covered, canning juicing baking etc, but what about the dangers of eating to many?
You could turn orange, or start growing ears and a fluffy tail.... not good.
Feed some to the poor rabbit I say, give some away if possible, then can and juice most of the rest until you have just enough to do some baking but not tons.

How about this one, Beth? I think it was in a Weber email to me. I saved it in my files for this summer. Can't wait to try it!

Lee

Grilled Carrots
Prep time: 10 minutes
Grilling time: 3 to 5 minutes

8 medium carrots, each 6 to 8 inches long and about 1 inch wide at the stem
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon minced fresh Italian parsley

1. Peel the carrots and cook them in boiling water until they are partially cooked but still crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the carrots and rinse them under cold water for at least 10 seconds to stop the cooking. The carrots may be cooked up to this point several hours ahead of serving.

2. If you are using a charcoal grill, arrange 1 chimney starter of lit charcoal in a tightly packed, single layer across one-half of the charcoal grate. Put the cooking grate in place, close the lid, and preheat the grill to high heat. Keep all the vents open.

If you are using a gas grill, preheat your grill on high until it reaches 500°F.

3. Lay the carrots flat on a work surface. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the vinegar and nutmeg. Brush the carrots with about half the butter mixture and season with half the salt and pepper.

4. Brush the cooking grate clean. Grill the carrots over direct high heat (450°F to 550°F), with the lid open, until lightly charred with spots and stripes, 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally and swapping their positions as needed for even cooking. Move the carrots to a platter, brush them with the remaining butter mixture, and season them with the remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parsley over the top. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings

Mashed carrots, pickled carrots

Also if you ever make homemade pasta,you can juice the carrots and use the carrot juice in place of water. I do that so it adds color and extra nutrients.

you mean they were in the ground and they're still good after an OHIO winter?

61 lbs ... wow ... I'm thinkin that's a daunting amount of work and would peel, blanch and freeze as many as possible for later use with all of Godweed's phenomenal ideas!

A couple weeks back Ina made an interesting carrot salad on Barefoot Contessa. I'm sure the recipe is at the foodnetwork.com site if that sounds appealing to you.

Although now I am craving morning glory muffins ... good luck with your bounty. If I were anywhere near you I'd come help ya!

you mean they were in the ground and they're still good after an OHIO winter?

61 lbs ... wow ... I'm thinkin that's a daunting amount of work and would peel, blanch and freeze as many as possible for later use with all of Godweed's phenomenal ideas!

The key is to prevent the ground from freezing right where the carrots are. We apply about two feet of fresh hay on top and to the sides of the carrot rows.

Yeah, precisely why I was praying that the mice had found them:ROFLMAO:. I was acutely aware of the labor involved in getting the carrots into the frig.

As luck would have it, I am meeting 4 friends for lunch today, and hosting a committee meeting at my house later this week, so I think I can unload 15 pounds right there. I do intend to can a couple canner loads of them, and that should take the fright off of the carrot over load!

I was reminded last night, that I require a flavoring, such as peanut butter, ginger, maple syrup, cinnamon, ANYTHING, in order to down any amount of cooked carrots. Thanks all for the suggestions, I think I am now set!

The key is to prevent the ground from freezing right where the carrots are. We apply about two feet of fresh hay on top and to the sides of the carrot rows...

How deep of a frost do you get where you are (and does frost move horizontally once it's in the ground)? I wonder if that would work further north here ...

How deep of a frost do you get where you are (and does frost move horizontally once it's in the ground)? I wonder if that would work further north here ...

dh says in the coldest part of the winter here, frost can go 4 inches deep in the lawn, 12 inches deep on the driveway and 6 inches deep on bare soil in the garden. There would be very little horizontal movement of the frost. You could use anything to cover the carrots. We use hay because the plants are not bothered by it. For the spinach, I use sleeping bags because spinach rots under the hay. I have seen people use bags of leaves.

dh says in the coldest part of the winter here, frost can go 4 inches deep in the lawn, 12 inches deep on the driveway and 6 inches deep on bare soil in the garden. There would be very little horizontal movement of the frost. You could use anything to cover the carrots. We use hay because the plants are not bothered by it. For the spinach, I use sleeping bags because spinach rots under the hay. I have seen people use bags of leaves.

Six inches!:ohmy: About 7 years back, the frost went so deep that water and sewage pipes were freezing and rupturing in town, and they're buried 4 feet deep. That winter we had 2 months straight of -double digit temps (F. scale). At night, if I didn't start my car and let it run for about 20 minutes, the battery couldn't carry enough heat to turn over a pillow. Only on one occasion was I not able to start my car. I knew people who had block heaters, and radiator heaters plugged in every night, and who still couldn't get their vehicles started up. The day I couldn't get mine started, I removed the battery and brought it into the house. I let it warm up to room temp and then put it back in the car. The day hadn't warmed above -35, but the engine turned over like it was a warm summer's day.

Nope, it's not contracting metals, nor thick oil that keeps your engine from turning over when it's very cold. It's the fact that lead/acid batteries lose their ability to transmit energy as temperatures dip down into the - teens and below. At -40'F., they don't work anymore.

Just think of the possibilities of such temperatures. You'd only need to unpack fish in an unheated warehouse, let it sit for 2 days, and it would destroy any parasites that could make your sushi unsafe to eat. And talk about quick-setting jello... In fact, I oftentimes use my giant outdoor fridge to keep things cold in the winter.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

wow, GW, that is cold. We don't see temperatures like that for that duration where I am. I'm about on the same latitude as Washington DC. It usually hits 0*F each winter, but often not long enough to go ice skating. Code here is also 4 foot depth, which has not made sense since the glacier was here.:LOL:

We get the same as you GW ... I'm thinking keeping them in the ground won't work. As per the farmers in the area, it only went about a foot this year, a shallow year which has helped with adding moisture to the soil early.

...In fact, I oftentimes use my giant outdoor fridge to keep things cold in the winter...

I LOVE my giant fridge in the winter (ie... the front section of our garage). I realize about mid-March (when it's too warm) how much stuff we actually stock pile out there.

Back
Top Bottom