Dessert wanted: Walnuts, Pears, Ginger syrup (frozen)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eachna

Assistant Cook
I have a tray of ice cubes of ginger syrup in the freezer (made when I candied some ginger). I also have 6 pears and about a pound of chopped walnuts.

I want to use them for a dessert. No idea _what_ dessert though. I'd like it to have a fairly mild ginger flavor as my husband doesn't like ginger much.

I have a well stocked pantry, but I'm low on eggs. I have several pounds of butter in the freezer :D.

I'm looking forward to any suggestions!

mmm Aunt Bea = ginger poached pears.

How about a gingerbread-pear upside down cake. serve warm with whipped cream

That sounds nice, a little of the ginger syrup would make a nice addition to the brown, sugar butter mixture in the bottom of the pan. Don't forget the whipped cream! :pig:

I know you said that you were low on eggs but if you could spare 2 then make an oblong meringue base with 4 tablesp sugar. When cold and ready to serve either whip / squirt thick cream onto it, then sliced pears ( either raw if ripe or poached if a bit hard) then your walnuts broken up a bit and defrosted ginger syrup. If you have some chocolate around then melt in microwave and drizzle over all the rest or grate as a garnish. If not, just melt a spoonful of instant coffee in a tiny bit of water or rum is good( if that's your thing) and drizzle this over instead. Hope this helps inspire ??

Maybe a pear crisp, with a topping of oatmeal and chopped walnuts, mix the pears with ginger syrup.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to make the pear crisp. I haven't made a crisp in a while. We have some vanilla ice cream in the freezer, and I'll make a ginger syrup that my son and I can put on the ice cream, and my husband can avoid.

The upside-down pear gingerbread cake sounded really good. Sadly, the reason why I ended up with too much ginger syrup is that my husband refuses to eat gingerbread. I'm not sure what it did to him as a child (maybe a gingerbread boy beat him up on the playground?)

He only told me after I bought two pounds of ginger to candy, turn into syrup, and use for ginger sugar. I guess that means more candied ginger for me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom