"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

You could make an appetizer dip with them. Or if you are already grilling pork tenderloin, chicken, etc then throw them on the grill to heat through. I also like a veggie sandwich with roasted peppers, onion and mushrooms.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think everyone gave you pretty much anything I would have said! I like to grill baguette slices, top with goat cheese, pesto, and then slivers of roasted red pepper. I add to veggie paninis - and well, everyone has mentioned my favorite things already!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Sous Chef

KitchenElf, I actually have everything you mention on hand, and in addition, chicken. I was thinking of trying Jeekins' suggestion tonight, but I think I'll combine your suggestion with it to try something new.

I'm also going to make a dip with the peppers and some cream cheese (along with some fresh basil from my Community-Supported Argriculture (CSA) box this week.

I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieKate
I also like a veggie sandwich with roasted peppers, onion and mushrooms.
I second that. They are GREAT on sanwiches!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
use them for a direct replacement of Tomatoes, I do this with Onions too.

drain them all and blitz them in a blender add you salt and spices and heat on the stove to make a very thick sauce.

I use this instead of Tomato base on a pizza, and as I said, you can do the same with Onion too. no one ever said that it Must ne Tomato as the base :)

it`s also nice as a sauce for Pasta as well.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Cook

I love this recipe with pasta
1/2 cup pureed roasted red peppers
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
I make a roasted red pepper jus for lamb.

Dice red peppers, onions and a cloves of garlic to taste. Sautee with evoo for a coupla minutes. Puree in a blender and drain through a seive. Add S&P to taste.

I do something like that but I use it to spread on toasted baguette, condiment for sandwiches (roast beef is good) or mix with hummus.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #18
Cook

Lots of great meals I've read so far in this thread. However, none have mentioned the following:

Spanish Tortilla Pizza w/ Moroccan Red Bean Soup/Dip.

I say soup/dip since the actual recipe calls for tomato paste, however, I use one large 18oz can of diced tomatos, alongside the rest of the needed ingrediants. Spanish tortilla pizza needs at least 2 whole peppers julienned. So, here is how they're made. The bean dip is from a weight-watchers cook-book and spanish tortilla pizza is from a book called "Grill It!", also with the weight-watchers. It's best if the bean dip is dribbled on the pizza, or just on the side. Adding in the diced tomatos to make it more "soupy" allows it to taste just as good, although I would recommend blending it so it's not full of chunks.

Spanish Tortilla Pizza (6 servings):

2 large red bell peppers (I like BBQing them whole then peeling off the skin then julienning it, otherwise known as julienned pimento peppers, however, if it's already in a jar, peeling them will be rather tenious).

In a bowl combine,
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspon of saffron
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon capers (I add in 2 teaspoons then some of the oil the capers are in)
S&P
I also like to add in some crushed Basil and tumeric, about a pinch of each.

Once this is ready, add in the peppers and mix them around. This can be stored if you're going to be eating late for dinner or the next day.

Once you're ready to eat, spray your BBQ grill, let it heat then take 3 or 4 (or more) 10inch regular tortillas and put it on the grill once it reaches about 300F. Bubbles form quickly and it hardens, darkening around the edges. It burns very fast and cools fast, so it's best to eat it right away. Flip it and do the same to the other side. Use either tongs or a spatula, but they get crisp and hard enough that using tongs hasn't ever had them break on me.

Also, lightly grill some serrano, or some sort of ham (I like black forest). Flip it then on the other side, put some shredded cheese. Put all that ontop of the peppers and spinkle more cheese over everything. The cheese melts fairly fast but if you're in a hurry or the peppers are cold, microwave for 45 seconds or until cheese is bubbling.

Moroccan Red Bean Dip/Soup (4 servings):

In a skillet, put 1tsp of olive oil and saute 1/2 chopped red onion. Add in some garlic if you like garilic. Saute for 3 or so minutes. Add 1 can tomato puree**, 1 tbsp golden raisins, 3 dried (or fresh) chopped and pitted apricots and 1 tbsp of orange juice. Simmer for 3 or so minutes. Add in can of red kidney beans, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp cinammon, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp curry, 1/8 tsp chili powder, S&P. Mix for a little then blend it. I find adding some fresh lemon zest is very nice.

* = tomato puree is equivelant to tomato paste
** = for the dip, use tomato paste, for the soup use 1 can of 18oz diced tomatoes with the juice, some water/vegetable broth and 1/4 tsp of curry, cinammon & chili.

Serve the moroccan bean dip/soup on the side. It's also good to have a salad with vinagrette dressing and some moroccan bean dip/soup on it.

I know it may sound horrible to some, but trust me, serving this at parties, for lunch or dinner is amazing. Everyone who I've served it to said it's amazing and asked for seconds and even thirds.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Since no one said it, I will: foam it!

But seriously, I would puree it and make a coulis. You can then serve it with things like crab cakes, salmon, scallops, etc.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #20
Master Chef

I slice them and use in pasta salad, in casserole dishes, and as a condiment along side of steak of other meats.