"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
What's your favorite way to dress up rice?

I cook rice a LOT. I am an American expat living in the Middle East and have spent most of the last 6 years in either the Middle East or Asia. Rice has become my primary starch. I use it often when I make various stir-fry dishes, naturally, but more often serve it as a side dish with a meat and a veggie.

When I was a kid, rice was served with butter and salt and that's what rice was supposed to taste like. I still like a good buttery rice now and again....but once I started cutting down my butter and salt intake some years ago I became accustomed to eating rice plain. My favorite is brown basmanti rice because I like the added texture.

The problem is, after years of eating plain rice....I am becoming bored with it. I've tried experimenting by adding some spices here and there, but nothing comes out right. So....help me out. What are some of your easy/favorite ways to add (healthy) flavor to rice?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Well, this is healthy...maybe.

There is the simple rice w/cream of mushroom soup w/added mushrooms, baked.

Cheesy rice, similar to make'n homemade mac & cheese w/a roux. Add some corn & mushrooms &/or broccoli to that also.

Shrimp fried rice, veggie fried rice, plain w/soy sauce.

Now I'm hungry.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Various baked Spanish rice recipes. In it's simplest form- raw rice topped with onions, red peppers, tomato sauce and grated parmigiano or locatelli is baked in a rich broth.
Getting fancier-
http://www.spain-recipes.com/image-files/spain-recipes-logo.jpg
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Great point, Bill. Reminds me of stuffed green peppers. Ground burger, rice, sauce, topped w/cheese all stuffed into green peppers and baked.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I often fix an aromatic jasmine rice. Other spiced rice mixtures I have cooked at one time or another are:

* Chili Powder
* Italian Seasoning Mix
* Gumbo File (Pronounced fee-lay) (Powdered sassafras.)
* Powdered shrimp
* Powdered beef or chicken bouillon
* Curry or Marsala spice

Each of these gives plain rice a welcome change. I add a spice mixture before steaming so it absorbs the greatest amount of flavor as it cooks.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Well, this is healthy...maybe.

There is the simple rice w/cream of mushroom soup w/added mushrooms, baked.
My mom used to make that a lot and I fully agree it is tasty. I wonder what I would need if I wasn't going to use a canned soup but all fresh ingredients from scratch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Cheesy rice, similar to make'n homemade mac & cheese w/a roux. Add some corn & mushrooms &/or broccoli to that also.

Shrimp fried rice, veggie fried rice, plain w/soy sauce.

Now I'm hungry.
Yum....that makes 2 of us!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Various baked Spanish rice recipes. In it's simplest form- raw rice topped with onions, red peppers, tomato sauce and grated parmigiano or locatelli is baked in a rich broth.
Getting fancier-
http://www.spain-recipes.com/image-files/spain-recipes-logo.jpg
Thanks Bill! I love Spanish rice and have done that a couple times. Since I can't buy pork here I always feel it's missing something. Plus I haven't made it often enough to get the consistency right without burning the bottom of the pan. Need more practice I think.

Thanks for the suggestions, Selkie. I have added curry to my rice but I think I overdid it or did something wrong. The flavor was much too strong (and I'm a curry fan). How much do you use? Do you combine it with anything else? Any special techniques?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Master Chef

I've cooked the rice in both beef and chicken broth often adding the corresponding bullion for additional flavor. To the beef version I add onions and garlic. My family loves jasmine rice with cream cheese and ranch dressing mix.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
...I have added curry to my rice but I think I overdid it or did something wrong. The flavor was much too strong (and I'm a curry fan). How much do you use? Do you combine it with anything else? Any special techniques?
I season my rice the same way I would as if I were adding salt - light in quantity in the palm of my hand first, and looking for just enough spice to produce a slight color change as if each kernel were dusted with only a few grains. The flavor will take care of itself as long as the aroma is there.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Growing up in the south, we ate rice a lot too. My mom used to make chicken and rice and spareribs and rice. Both are very good and cooked together. She would cook the chicken or spareribs in broth or water with salt and pepper til almost done then add regular long grain rice and finish til rice was tender. A meal in one pot.