Braunschweiger - Your favorite way to use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
I grew up eating Braunschweiger, mostly because my mom, who was German, loved it so much and I learned to like it as well.

My personal favorite way to eat it is in sandwich form on toasted bread with Miracle Whip and onions. However, having just bought some, I'm looking for other ideas on how to use it.

How do you like yours?

LOL, Linda I lived in Germany many, many moons ago but don't recall any thing called Braunschweiger. Now a sort of educated guess would be it is sausage but still looked it up.
Here you go 5 ways to use braunschweiger
Didn't find them too different but maybe it's enough to satisfy your cravings. :LOL:

I used to love the stuff. A nice big slice of vidalia onion (or any milder low sulfur onion), w/mayo between slices of bread. When I couldn't get braunschweiger I'd make liver pate and that seemed to fill the craving.

LOL, Linda I lived in Germany many, many moons ago but don't recall any thing called Braunschweiger. Now a sort of educated guess would be it is sausage but still looked it up.
Here you go 5 ways to use braunschweiger
Didn't find them too different but maybe it's enough to satisfy your cravings. :LOL:
Braunschweiger came from Braunschweig, a city in Germany. I think the Germans actually call it mettwurst, though, or something like that. Not 100% positive. But since my mom's family was German, we ate all types of sausages and Braunschweiger happened to be one of them.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

It's my understanding that, in the USA, braunschweiger is simply liverwurst that's been smoked. I believe it's something different in Europe.

That said, I eat it in a sandwich and I am not required to share it with anyone else in the household.

It's my understanding that, in the USA, braunschweiger is simply liverwurst that's been smoked. I believe it's something different in Europe.

That said, I eat it in a sandwich and I am not required to share it with anyone else in the household.
That is correct ;)

I'm not required to share it either. My son won't eat it. So it allllll mine.

I guess after looking over the link dragn gave me and doing a little searching online, there isn't a whole lot else you can do with the stuff but just eat it. Most everyone suggests pates, spreads or adding it to charcuterie boards. But I still enjoy reading what everyone else likes to do with it.

I don’t think that I’ve ever had Braunschweiger but I do enjoy Liverwurst.

A Liverwurst sandwich on rye with onions and brown mustard is an occasional treat.

A chunk of Liverwurst with crackers or party rye is a nice addition to happy hour around the campfire or on game night with friends.

I grew up eating Braunschweiger, mostly because my mom, who was German, loved it so much and I learned to like it as well.

My personal favorite way to eat it is in sandwich form on toasted bread with Miracle Whip and onions. However, having just bought some, I'm looking for other ideas on how to use it.

How do you like yours?
My parents got married in Germany and lived there for some years.

Like you, I grew up on braunschweiger and miracle whip sandwiches! yum!

I haven’t had it in a long time but now I want to run out and buy some!

My parents got married in Germany and lived there for some years.

Like you, I grew up on braunschweiger and miracle whip sandwiches! yum!

I haven’t had it in a long time but now I want to run out and buy some!
That's so cool. I thought I was the only one who used Miracle Whip with Braunschweiger. For some reason when you say "Miracle Whip" to most people, they look at you like you've got two heads. :LOL:

I don’t think that I’ve ever had Braunschweiger but I do enjoy Liverwurst.

A Liverwurst sandwich on rye with onions and brown mustard is an occasional treat.

A chunk of Liverwurst with crackers or party rye is a nice addition to happy hour around the campfire or on game night with friends.
Liverwurst is delicious as well, although to find true liverwurst, I've had to buy it from online German deli sites.

I just had 3 sandwiches yesterday and today, of braunschweiger on that rye bread I baked, mainly to eat this on! I use different types of mustard on them, and occasionally put a slice of a mild onion on the sandwiches, only if I am going to use the rest of the onion on something else. While I don't put slices of tomatoes on the sandwiches, at this time of year, I have a bunch of different types of cherry tomatoes on the side, to snack on. The cheapest, and some of the best I've had, is from Aldi.

For someone who can't abide liver (or kidneys for that matter), whether chicken, beef or otherwise, I do happen to like liverwurst. Any old way will do, but sparingly. I once had violent nightmares from eating too much of it. So bad I actually went to the doc to find out what was wrong with me. When he heard what I had eaten, well... he couldn't help himself, he started to chuckle, then chortle, then just plain broke down and with tears in his eyes, just said it was the liverwurst and I was fine but don't eat so much next time.
I wasn't angry, by the time he was finished I was laughing just as hard as he.
So I still like it, but in moderation! ;)

I just had 3 sandwiches yesterday and today, of braunschweiger on that rye bread I baked, mainly to eat this on! I use different types of mustard on them, and occasionally put a slice of a mild onion on the sandwiches, only if I am going to use the rest of the onion on something else. While I don't put slices of tomatoes on the sandwiches, at this time of year, I have a bunch of different types of cherry tomatoes on the side, to snack on. The cheapest, and some of the best I've had, is from Aldi.

The couple of times I've bought produce from Aldi, it was terrible. Your Aldi must be better than ours when it comes to fruits and veggies.

For someone who can't abide liver (or kidneys for that matter), whether chicken, beef or otherwise, I do happen to like liverwurst. Any old way will do, but sparingly. I once had violent nightmares from eating too much of it. So bad I actually went to the doc to find out what was wrong with me. When he heard what I had eaten, well... he couldn't help himself, he started to chuckle, then chortle, then just plain broke down and with tears in his eyes, just said it was the liverwurst and I was fine but don't eat so much next time.
I wasn't angry, by the time he was finished I was laughing just as hard as he.
So I still like it, but in moderation! ;)

Now that's a funny story. (y)

@Linda0818 How would Braunschweiger be in the fruits and vegetables? :unsure: You know I wouldn't be buying cherry tomatoes, or any tomatoes there, or any store.
My apologies. When I read I have a bunch of different types of cherry tomatoes on the side, to snack on. The cheapest, and some of the best I've had, is from Aldi., it looked to me like you were talking about cherry tomatoes.

My apologies. When I read I have a bunch of different types of cherry tomatoes on the side, to snack on. The cheapest, and some of the best I've had, is from Aldi., it looked to me like you were talking about cherry tomatoes.
I had to read it twice. I know that the chance of Pepperhead buying tomatoes, especially in summer, are extremely low to nil.

But, isn't Aldi German owned? That would certainly explain having good German deli items.

I don't remember ever seeing Braunschweiger at the store. I find liverwurst okay. But, I live in Québec and we have loads of really good liver pâté, probably the French influence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom