Strangest Substitution? But it was good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef2337

Assistant Cook
The other night while cooking dinner. :chef: I got about 3/4 of the way done with some sort of Cheeseburger & French Fry throw together.( It was a feathers week) When I realized that I had no cheese.:(

I had Sour Cream so I added some White Cheddar popcorn topping to it.
I thought it might come out like one of those ranch dips you make from the packet and bring the cheese flavor I so desperately needed.

It was really good especially when mixed in with the seasoned ground beef and french fries.

So I was wondering if anyone else had some strange substitutions that in a pinch are actually really good?:chef:

That sounds... strange. LOL. But sometimes some of the weirdest sounding things actually turn out well.

Something I can think of that surprised me when I tossed it together was mixing soy sauce with ketchup. It ended up tasting like BBQ sauce, which is what I wanted! I know it doesn't sound like it would, but trust me. Give it a try someday. Ketchup + soy sauce = BBQ sauce substitution

wEiRd!

~GB

I wouldn't mind hearing more about your cheeseburger and FF throw together. I'm always looking for hamburger concoctions. It sounds like you mix them together and cover with some kind of cheese sauce?

I cant think of anything off hand

but you mixed the white cheddar popcorn to the sour cream or was it a packet or the white cheddar powder?

I guess you really wanted the cheese flavor on there.

Many Years ago, I was trying to impress a young lady with my culinary skills. Of course, being a bachelor without a clue (or a bank acct!!) I had to make do with what I had. Which was a pot roast, some baby carrots, some celery, and a pkg of Polska Kielbasa. But, I was woefully short on seasonings.

Well, I threw all of it into the crockpot with a little water (as per Moms instruction) and when it came time to eat I discovered that the Kielbasa had actually helped "season" the roast, and vice-versa-it was delicious!! I'm not sure which is better-the sausage or the roast, but 20 years later, I still make that dish!!

Back
Top Bottom