Substitution for citrus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patou

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have a lot of trouble with a lot of recipes because I am allergic of citrus, tomatoes and peaches (including their wholes families (ex. apricots)).:(

I was wondering what I could use especially to replace citrus (tomatoes I can deal with by simply not adding any and same with peaches)

Thanks a lot!:)

Tamarind paste. Some of the more acidic cheeses. Try coriander, but not everyone thinks it works. Lemon basil. Lemon grass. If you have a Penzey's nearby, go down and see what else works for you.

Can you use vinegars? Balsamic, rice wine, champagne and other vinegars might add a nice touch to recipes.

BTW, welcome to DC!

Let me ask, is it the citric acid that you're allergic to? Or something else in the fruit. In other words, is it citric acid intolerance, or the true allergy to limonene or proteins?

Honestly, I don't know yet I have to meet with my doc. All I know is if anyone eats a clementine at school, I have to leave the room otherwise I really feel bad :( But I use rice vinegar in my sushi rice without any problems so I assume that I'm allergic to the fruit...

I am not a doctor bit I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night....

I may be wrong, but I don't think that many people are allergic to the acid, they are allergic to the proteins.

So anyway, substitutes depend on what the citrus is being used for. If it's acidity, then rice or white wine vinegar would be the sub.

Vinegar does not contain citric acid, by the way. It's acetic acid.

For taste.... Well that's harder. Lemongrass comes to mind, like GLC suggested. Lime leave also came to mind, but they may have the stuff you're allergic to.

Boyjian (sp) makes very potent citrus oils which you might want to experiment with. Sometimes when food is heated it changes enough to tone down allergies. Plus you only need a drop for intense flavor.

Last edited:
Tamarind paste. Some of the more acidic cheeses. Try coriander, but not everyone thinks it works. Lemon basil. Lemon grass. If you have a Penzey's nearby, go down and see what else works for you.

There is also lemon thyme and pineapple sage, I grow and use both. I THINK I remember seeing citrus mints last year. FYI - lemon balm is very strong and I find an acquired taste. Some people refer to is as smelling like Lemon Pledge. :LOL:

Honestly, I don't know yet I have to meet with my doc. All I know is if anyone eats a clementine at school, I have to leave the room otherwise I really feel bad :( But I use rice vinegar in my sushi rice without any problems so I assume that I'm allergic to the fruit...

Yes. Probably something that's carried in the volatile oils released when someone bites or cuts one. I don't think you'd get anywhere near enough citric acid without eating some. And citric acid is added to enough other foods that I think you'd have had trouble with other things before. That means citric acid itself is available for use, and so artificial lemon flavorings and lemon flavored foods not derived from the fruit could be used where the lemon flavor is important. An allergist will both determine which substance is a problem, and they will know where it appears or what kind of extracts or substitutes work.

My daughter does have citric acid allergy, determined by a skin allergy test done by a board certified allergist. Anyway, we use white balsamic vinegar for lemon juice in recipes. It has worked very well for things like fruit salad, wilted lettuce, and some chicken dishes which called for lemon juice.

For cranberries in baking recipes, we substitute tart cherries. For cranberry sauce, we will be making pomegranate sauce.

Do any of the plants with lemon in their names like lemon basil, lemon thyme, or lemongrass have citric acid in them or is it another compound that gives it the lemony smell?

I too am allergic

I am also allergic to critics foods and foods in the night shade group of foods which include any type of peppers, paprika, white potatoes, tomato, and other ingredients. Which has made it very hard for me. I do break out in hives and/or rashes depending on the type of foods.
I had not thought of white vinegar but had thought of the lemon grass. Is there other herbs that might taste similar to other citrus fruits without the acid?
I especially want to make infused water to use in shakes and cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom