Tofu as ricotta cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristen17

Assistant Cook
I am trying to perfect vegan lasagna using tofu as the cheese substitute. I've heard of adding yeast and lemon juice to make it more cheese like-any suggestions or ideas? Ideally I'd like to increase the flavor. Thoughts? Experiments? Horror stories?

Tofu has very little flavor of it's own, but is an excellent mimic.

You can change it's texture by baking it or frying it. What you put it in, it becomes, (flavor wise).

You'll get it's cheesiest texture after frying it oil at a nice high heat until its slightly browned.

Marinate it after browning, in whatever you want it to taste like and it will absorb that flavor.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing the outcome of your experiment.

Also, if you make your own tofu, it blows away the paste they sell as tofu in the markets.

I use a "SoyaPower" Soy Milk machine, but any blender will work. It's so easy, you'll love it. Homemade tofu is truly awesome tasting. Very nutty and you can make it as firm as you want to by using additional pressing.

You might also love paneer. It's an awesome salad ingredient when cubed. A mix of half paneer and half fried tofu would be great!

I am trying to perfect vegan lasagna using tofu as the cheese substitute. I've heard of adding yeast and lemon juice to make it more cheese like-any suggestions or ideas? Ideally I'd like to increase the flavor. Thoughts? Experiments? Horror stories?

You can buy it already made at Whole Foods.

Browned tofu will not be anything like ricotta in a lasagna recipe.

But browned tofu is great in other recipes.

Back
Top Bottom