Bad meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes while shopping I see meat that has a weird color to it, like a soap bubble rainbow of some sort.
Most of the store meat is defrosted, so it loses it's appeal in my eyes, but most people eat that stuff (I do too).

What is that un-natural coloration?
Is it ok?

I see it in cold-cuts too sometimes :|

That's iridescence.. we were talking about it a few posts up :cool: It's normal and won't cause you any trouble.

Sometimes while shopping I see meat that has a weird color to it, like a soap bubble rainbow of some sort.
Most of the store meat is defrosted, so it loses it's appeal in my eyes, but most people eat that stuff (I do too).

What is that un-natural coloration?
Is it ok?

I see it in cold-cuts too sometimes :|

It is what I posted about above and is safe>

OSU Meat Science: IRIDESCENCE IN RAW AND COOKED MEATS

I see that rainbow look in roast beef alot. I am not certain what causes this but it is in the meat itself and visible when slicing cooked roast beef for sandwiches. It does not mean it is bad because I have seen it all my life and eaten it and it isnt a taste issue either. I have not seen it in any other meats though.

I see that rainbow look in roast beef alot. I am not certain what causes this but it is in the meat itself and visible when slicing cooked roast beef for sandwiches. It does not mean it is bad because I have seen it all my life and eaten it and it isnt a taste issue either. I have not seen it in any other meats though.

I've always tried to avoid it, but every one else ate it, and they're still alive :)

The article made me less fearful, thanks.

Its weird that it didnt have an odor though. Anyone whose ever seen bad meat has SMELLED bad meat. Im wondering if it wasnt aged long enough. Green meat is meat straight of the cow. It has to be either wet or dry aged for some period of time. But like has been said. When in doubt........

Back
Top Bottom