Campbell Recalls 300 Cases of Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Campbell Recalls 300 Cases of Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce Due to a Risk of Spoilage

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 31, 2013 – Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) is voluntarily recalling approximately 300 cases of 24-ounce jars of Prego Traditional Italian sauce because of a risk of spoilage.

The affected product was manufactured on December 15, 2013 and can be identified by the “Best By” date of June 16, 2015 and a four-digit, military time code ranging from “CT BJ ZV 0330” through “CT BJ ZV 0449.” This information is printed on the top of the lid as follows:
JUN 16 2015 12153
CT BJ ZV 0330 Through JUN 16 2015 12153
CT BJ ZV 0449

Even if you did buy Prego I'm sure they'll take it back.
I feel for all the preppers with cases of this stuff stored in their secluded bunkers :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I buy Prego about every other month. I only use about a tablespoon or two each time. So a jar lasts me for quite a while. So long that I usually end up tossing about a fourth of every jar. I don't like my pasta swimming in the sauce. Due to buy a jar tomorrow. Will definitely check the dates and codes. I copied them down. :angel:

Addie, you should do what I do with tomato paste. When I don't use a whole can, the left overs I scoop out in to 1 tbl sizes and place on a cookie sheet, put in freezer till frozen then put in Ziploc bag for when I need a tbl or 2. you could but the unused sauce into Ice cube trays, when frozen pop them out and put into bag. then if putting on pasta, microwave the frozen in small dish. One tip if you do keep that ice cube tray just for that as it stains it and give ice cubes a funky taste.

Addie, you should do what I do with tomato paste. When I don't use a whole can, the left overs I scoop out in to 1 tbl sizes and place on a cookie sheet, put in freezer till frozen then put in Ziploc bag for when I need a tbl or 2. you could but the unused sauce into Ice cube trays, when frozen pop them out and put into bag. then if putting on pasta, microwave the frozen in small dish. One tip if you do keep that ice cube tray just for that as it stains it and give ice cubes a funky taste.

Thanks. I have two trays that are just sitting under the counter in the cabinet. I never make ice cubes, so I should put them to use. And if they get stained, ice cube trays are so "cheap" that I can get two of them for just one dollar at the Dollar Store. (In my mind, "cheap" cost less than inexpensive.)

When the kids were small, I made a large pot of gravy at least once a week and it went really fast. Sometimes I might have enough for the freezer to use for their lunch. But cooking for just one, it is more cost effective to buy the jars. :angel:

I don't buy Prego, but I do buy Ragu. Recently I realized that making pasta sauce for the two of us is much less expensive if I use tomato sauce and tomato paste. It makes a smaller amount, which I am still throwing away occasionally. I still use the jarred sauce for lasagne or sometimes make my own.

I have some tomato paste frozen the way you do, LetsCook. I use that for flavoring in other dishes.

I cook for one and I make my own. I never compared costs. I'm not meticulous enough in that field to take into account cooking sauce on a stove compared to warming up what came out of a jar, gas/electric usage, five toes of garlic compared to the whole bulb, spices... did I open a can of crushed tomatoes or open what I canned last fall like a lot of you guys do... all the little things that *I* feel should be taken into account for a true cost comparison.
I just do it because I like to cook. And spaghetti sauce freezes well.
I do recall buying a jar of sauce for something a couple months ago... maybe meatball subs? Italian omelette? Beats me. Something where only 3 TBS or so were required and I didn't want to thaw a meal sized portion.

When I cooked for one, I used the soup can size can of Furmanos crushed tomatoes, 14 oz I think, it made such a great, quick sauce. Now that size can of crushed tomatoes from any brand is impossible to find. Luckily I'm not single anymore ;)

I do buy jarred sauce for the pantry for quick evening meals, some of them, including my store's store brand and Trader Joe's roasted garlic are pretty great and all natural. When I make my own, I end up with a similar flavor profile anyway!

I cook for one and I make my own. I never compared costs. I'm not meticulous enough in that field to take into account cooking sauce on a stove compared to warming up what came out of a jar, gas/electric usage, five toes of garlic compared to the whole bulb, spices... did I open a can of crushed tomatoes or open what I canned last fall like a lot of you guys do... all the little things that *I* feel should be taken into account for a true cost comparison.
I just do it because I like to cook. And spaghetti sauce freezes well.
I do recall buying a jar of sauce for something a couple months ago... maybe meatball subs? Italian omelette? Beats me. Something where only 3 TBS or so were required and I didn't want to thaw a meal sized portion.

I understand your thinking. Cooking for DH involves getting the food on the table as fast as possible. He cannot think about what he wants to eat until he is actually hungry. So "quick" is a big factor.

When I cooked for one, I used the soup can size can of Furmanos crushed tomatoes, 14 oz I think, it made such a great, quick sauce. Now that size can of crushed tomatoes from any brand is impossible to find. Luckily I'm not single anymore ;)

I do buy jarred sauce for the pantry for quick evening meals, some of them, including my store's store brand and Trader Joe's roasted garlic are pretty great and all natural. When I make my own, I end up with a similar flavor profile anyway!

I only buy Ragu Old World Style with Mushrooms. It tastes very similar to my home made. I never thought to use canned crushed tomatoes. Good idea.

And the definitive word there is "we". I cook for only one. You have multiple people to cook for, so it is more cost effective to make your own. :angel:

It freezes very well. We = 2.

One of the two or three times I have bought the smaller can was when I made that pizza a couple weeks ago. I was following a recipe for the sauce and didn't want to use the 28 oz can in case I didn't like it. Otherwise all I buy are the larger sized cans.
I just can't pass up when they go on sale for $1.00 each. And it's always your choice of size, 14 or 28 for $1 ea. I don't understand that type of thinking, but it is what it is. I'll be buying five cans of Contandina sauces today because they are on sale.

I, too am cooking for one. When I make my sauce, it's in a 5 quart Dutch oven. I allow it to simmer for an hour or two, then I take out about a quart and freeze it for use with seafood. I add 8 each cooked meatballs and Italian sausage links, and simmer for 2 hours more. I make one meal of 2oz of any type of macaroni product, one meatball and one sausage link. Once the sauce has cooled sufficiently, I package it in GladWare Soup & Salad Containers; one meatball and one sausage link per container, fill the containers with sauce, and freeze them. Each container has enough sauce for a repeat of the above meal, plus another serving of sauce for things like veal, chicken or pork parmigiano; an Italian style frittata or anything else that calls for tomato sauce. I would never think of buying jarred or canned sauce, and I have never thrown away any sauce. It must be the Sicilian in me.

Last edited:
I, too am cooking for one. When I make my sauce, it's in a 5 quart Dutch oven. I allow it to simmer for an hour or two, then I take out about a quart and freeze it for use with seafood. I add 8 each cooked meatballs and Italian sausage links, and simmer for 2 hours more. I make one meal of 2oz of any type of macaroni product, one meatball and one sausage link. Once the sauce has cooled sufficiently, I package it in GladWare Soup & Salad Containers; one meatball and one sausage link per container, fill the containers with sauce, and freeze them. Each container has enough sauce for a repeat of the above meal, plus another serving of sauce for things like veal, chicken or pork parmigiano; an Italian style frittata or anything else that calls for tomato sauce. I would never think of buying jarred or canned sauce, and I have never thrown away any sauce. It must be the Sicilian in me.

This is the process. Whether you're cooking for 1 or more, you make a big batch and freeze it in meal-sized portions.

This is the process. Whether you're cooking for 1 or more, you make a big batch and freeze it in meal-sized portions.

One or two 28 oz cans is a big batch to me.
Although if I was making 4-5 qts at a time it would probably save money. I could buy my tomato product in the bulk aisle. Get one or two of those enormous cans.

One of the two or three times I have bought the smaller can was when I made that pizza a couple weeks ago. I was following a recipe for the sauce and didn't want to use the 28 oz can in case I didn't like it. Otherwise all I buy are the larger sized cans.
I just can't pass up when they go on sale for $1.00 each. And it's always your choice of size, 14 or 28 for $1 ea. I don't understand that type of thinking, but it is what it is. I'll be buying five cans of Contandina sauces today because they are on sale.

Yeah, nowadays I buy the 28oz, but when making pizza having the 14 comes in handy with no waste. I have found that the store near me carries the Furmano pizza sauce (way over priced though) and I really like it, so I end up buying that.

My favorite crushed tomatoes are from Aldi, believe it or not, they are quite "saucy" and have a great flavor, they come together for a really great quick sauce. They are usually 89-99 cents per 28 oz can.

Good to know, GG. Thanks.

I subscribe to this notification (I think it's for U.S. only)

Current Recalls and Alerts

The Campbell Soup notice isn't included in that---- do you belong to an RSS feed? Or how did you come by that notice, if you don't mind me asking.

Back
Top Bottom