"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

Although I agree with everyone else of the danger factor of leaving something overnight the truth of the matter is I've never known anyone who's gotten ill from this practice, including myself, including a pot of rice left in the rice cooker overnight.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Although I agree with everyone else of the danger factor of leaving something overnight the truth of the matter is I've never known anyone who's gotten ill from this practice, including myself, including a pot of rice left in the rice cooker overnight.
Roadfix, with all due respect, this kind of comment is dangerous on a public forum in my opinion. Because you or anyone you know hasn't become sick from this practice means nothing really. I'm unsure of the source of my food poisoning when I nearly kicked the bucket in the hospital on IV's for three days. I do know it was no fault of my own however, as I had been on vacation and away from my very careful cooking habits. I hope you understand how very much I want to keep others from my fate.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Master Chef

You're absolutely right, Kayelle. My stubborn cultural bias got in the way. .....my bad....
Old 01-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I empathize with anyone who has had food poisoning. I had ecoli and thought I was going to die. I've never been so sick in my life. The !@#!@ doctor at emerg kept trying to tell me I had the flu...I argued that my temp was cycling every 20 minutes from 36 C to 41 C. I would shake, sweat (soaking wet), shake so I couldn't hold a glass of oj or water...I thought it was the flu the first 24 hours...then I decided Emerg (the advantage of the Canadian Health Care system). He finally agreed to run some tests, next thing I knew, I was on IV and antibiotics. Worst 10 days of my life. I never want to be that sick again. Always wash your spinach, strawberries, etc., even if they come from your own garden. Still don't know where I got the ecoli...and dealing with the health department re: this is another story <g>.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Hmmm...when I lived in Germany, leftovers were put in the laundry room. I didn't die. We only had a bar-sized fridge. Mind you, the house also didn't have central heat. So nighttime temps in that room were probably around 38-40 at this time of year.
38-40 degrees is the recommended refrigeration temp for storing food - that's probably why you didn't die. If you check your home fridge it is probably the same temp - I have a digital readout on mine that keeps the temp at 38 degrees. Without sounding like a pretentious know it all, and I'm not picking on anyone here - everyone please refrigerate your food. It slows the growth of the bacteria that will make you sick especially with poultry items. Poultry carries salmonella as a natural bacteria to help digest the grain they eat, it can stick around and/or be transferred to the food if preparation and refrigeration is not done carefully. Please don't eat food left out at room temp for longer than 3-4 hours. Restaurant food brought home should be consumed within 24 hours after refrigerating it. If it's not eaten - throw it out. Whose hands have touched it and how long did it sit around before you got it? I'm an old hospital infection control nurse - such horror stories I could tell you about food left out for long periods and then consumed. It's not a pretty picture. I know no one wants to waste food, but there are limits of safety and they really should not be taken lightly. We are not at the top of the food chain - the bacteria are - is? I could do a disseration on handwashing too, but I'll save that for another post. *she steps down off her soap box*
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
38-40 degrees is the recommended refrigeration temp for storing food - that's probably why you didn't die. If you check your home fridge it is probably the same temp - I have a digital readout on mine that keeps the temp at 38 degrees. Without sounding like a pretentious know it all, and I'm not picking on anyone here - everyone please refrigerate your food. It slows the growth of the bacteria that will make you sick especially with poultry items. Poultry carries salmonella as a natural bacteria to help digest the grain they eat, it can stick around and/or be transferred to the food if preparation and refrigeration is not done carefully. Please don't eat food left out at room temp for longer than 3-4 hours. Restaurant food brought home should be consumed within 24 hours after refrigerating it. If it's not eaten - throw it out. Whose hands have touched it and how long did it sit around before you got it? I'm an old hospital infection control nurse - such horror stories I could tell you about food left out for long periods and then consumed. It's not a pretty picture. I know no one wants to waste food, but there are limits of safety and they really should not be taken lightly. We are not at the top of the food chain - the bacteria are - is? I could do a disseration on handwashing too, but I'll save that for another post. *she steps down off her soap box*
Handwashing demonstration in the third floor Mens in 20 minutes.

I watched a couple of nursing school candidates who couldn't wash their hands correctly, I think they went on to other degrees and are working at a fast food restaurant now.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

So... how long does friend chicken last, wrapped in a napkin and stored in a handbag.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Rice, in particular, is something you should never eat if it's been in the danger zone for more than 2 hours.

Unless you welcome debilitating bloody diarrhea.

Rice is a common source if bacillus, which produces heat resistant toxic spores.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Rice, if I am not mistaken, is the largest source of food poisoning there is.

The problem with saying that you have never known anyone who has gotten food poisoning from this practice is that you really do not know. Food poisoning can take many forms from mild discomfort, headache, body aches, diarrhea. to death. The symptoms can start 3 days after ingestion. So unless your friends tell you every time they get a headache or the runs and then go to a doctor to get diagnosed (the only real way to know if they have food poisoning) then you really have no way of knowing if someone has gotten sick.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
So... how long does friend chicken last, wrapped in a napkin and stored in a handbag.
About 3 days, but it stinks to high Heaven and you just throw the chicken and the handbag out

Tags
chicken, soup