"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

wELL, ON THE SAME NOTE AS juNE, IF YOU WERE TO READ sOVIET PRESS THEN EVERYTHING THEY DID NOT HAVE IN THE STORE WAS BAD FOR YOU, I.E. BUTTER, OIL, SUGAR, MEAT, ETC.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Master Chef

Oops, I apologize for the caps.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaglerich View Post
After vegetables are cooked or heat treated they are considered a TCS food. By using the 4 hour rule they should be refrigerated and treated like any other potentially hazardous food. Does this apply to all vegetables ?
Yes, it would apply to all cooked vegetables, and all cooked food for that matter. I don't understand why this is a problem unless you don't have refrigeration.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Half Baked

After putting my foot in my mouth earlier(post removed)

I came across this which may help answer your question.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/foodesta...ctober2006.pdf

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

There are foods that are inedible if not heat-treated (cooked). In addition, there are many foods that have high nutritive value, but whose nutritional components are unavailable until the food is cooked. Many vegetables have very tough cell walls that make the available nutrients unavailable to the body until the cell walls are heat damaged. Grains fall into this category of foods as well. Flax seed, for instance, is absolutely useless to the body until it is ground up to break the tough cellulose walls of the grain. Oatmeal and barley need to be steamed, and rolled or ground, then cooked to make them digestible.

Though some nutrients are destroyed during the cooking process, either by leaching them out in hot water, in the case of water soluble nutrients, or in hot oil with fat soluble nutrients, proper cooking technique will preserve these nutrients.

Also, cooking destroys some enzymes that cause foods to react with other foods. For instance, papaya, kiwi, and pineapple will not allow gelatin to solidify until after they are cooked. There is an enzyme in each of these foods that breaks down protiens and collagen.

Lima beans grown in countries other than the U.S. often contain enough cyanide to be deadly if eaten raw. Boiling in water leaches the cyanide out of the lima bean and into the water, which then is released from the water in the vapor. The beans are drained to remove any residual poison. In the U.S. breading programs have reduced the cyanide significantly. But there are many varieties of beans that exhibit this effect (not found in your average supermarket).

And so we see that many veggies are actually more nutritious than are their raw counterparts, no matter what you read.

I is true that some veggies are better raw, but not most, not by a long shot.

Do some research and find out the truth.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
...Lima beans grown in countries other than the U.S. often contain enough cyanide to be deadly if eaten raw. Boiling in water leaches the cyanide out of the lima bean and into the water, which then is released from the water in the vapor. The beans are drained to remove any residual poison. In the U.S. breading programs have reduced the cyanide significantly. But there are many varieties of beans that exhibit this effect (not found in your average supermarket).

And so we see that many veggies are actually more nutritious than are their raw counterparts, no matter what you read....
Apricot and peach pits, if cracked open to expose the interior, contain a significant amount of cyanide as well. Perhaps enough to kill an adult man, but most certainly make him deathly ill. Interestingly, early settlers once thought that if a fruit or berry was safe enough for a bird to eat, it was also safe for people. Select species of birds will open apricot and peach pits to access the interior meat. Those same species of birds are also cyanide poison resistant. I wonder how many lives it took to figure that out? I never let my children access the pits when giving them the fresh fruit. I gave it to them pitted.

It's also been said that fact about the cyanide is the source of the phrase, "That's the pits!" referring to the nasty, potentially deadly nature of some situations.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Apricot and peach pits, if cracked open to expose the interior, contain a significant amount of cyanide as well. Perhaps enough to kill an adult man, but most certainly make him deathly ill. Interestingly, early settlers once thought that if a fruit or berry was safe enough for a bird to eat, it was also safe for people. Select species of birds will open apricot and peach pits to access the interior meat. Those same species of birds are also cyanide poison resistant. I wonder how many lives it took to figure that out? I never let my children access the pits when giving them the fresh fruit. I gave it to them pitted.

It's also been said that fact about the cyanide is the source of the phrase, "That's the pits!" referring to the nasty, potentially deadly nature of some situations.
Quote:
Apricot and peach pits, if cracked open to expose the interior, contain a significant amount of cyanide as well. Perhaps enough to kill an adult man, but most certainly make him deathly ill.
As a kid, I used to crack them open and eat the little kernel inside the pits on a regular basis. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I certainly was never deathly ill from eating them, and obviously not dead.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
As a kid, I used to crack them open and eat the little kernel inside the pits on a regular basis. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I certainly was never deathly ill from eating them, and obviously not dead.
I learned they were poisonous from an old "Adam 12"
episode.(remember Reed and Malloy).I think they found a kid unconsious who had carved peach pit baskets in his pockets and they put two and two tegether.I don't remember all the details but it stuck with me as a kid.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote