"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Deep frying Thanksgiving Turkey - help please?

Hi everyone! I need a little help. This year my husband decided he wants to fry our Thanksgiving turkey. He went out and purchased this fryer kit and an industrial size container of oil. I am terrified. Hes not very skilled at anything and I just know hes going to burn the house down. Any advice on how I can talk him out of it would be appreciated! Thanks, Eileen.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry you want get any help from me to talk him out of it....I love fried turkey!
If it's his "first time at bat" frying a turkey then encourage him to read the many "How to" and tutorials on the internet...Don't worry...He want burn the house down...He'll be in the back yard away from the house....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Half Baked

Just do it ouside on the lawn with cardboard underneath it.
Test the oil ht with water and the turkey before ever putting oil in so you know how much to use. there should be a fill line on the pot to keep under.

An ice chest with water and ice (for burns-don't ever throw water on a grease fire)and a fire extinguisher are smart things to keep nearby just in case.

If you really want to talk him out of it,there are Youtube videos that could do more than I could.

The turkeys are yummy and cook in about 40 minutes.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi Eileen. Welcome to DC.

Don't try to talk him out of it. Just make sure he does it safely. A deep fried turkey is moist and delicious and cooks very quickly.

Hubby should set up the fryer outdoors on a non-flammable surface. Fill the oil no more than 3/4 full and make sure the turkey is fully thawed and COMPLETELY dry inside and out. He should have a fire extinguisher appropriate for oil fires handy.

The turkey will cook in less than an hour. A 12-14 pounder will cook in about 45 minutes.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

1.) There are some restaurants (you'll have to do some research) that deep fry their turkey. You might find one close enough to do it for you, for a small fee.

2.) Get a really big chemical fire extinguisher.

3.) Have a local fireman come out to your house and give your husband a lecture on deep fried turkey safety.

4.) Tell him you're increasing his life insurance policy to $5,000,000!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Master Chef

To make sure you don't put too much oil in the fryer, earlier in the day or a day before, put the turkey in the pot, fill it with water. Pull the turkey out and note (with a sharpie or scratch a mark) the level of the water when the turkey is pulled out. The last thing you want is for the oil to slosh over when you put the turkey in, and this will let you know exactly how much oil you need. I'm just giving specific directions for something others have mentioned.

Take paper towels and dry, dry, dry the turkey before putting into the oil. Whenever you deep fry, water hitting the oil will make it splatter. So you want that turkey dry.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
To make sure you don't put too much oil in the fryer, earlier in the day or a day before, put the turkey in the pot, fill it with water.
Clair is correct...I would however like to amend the above statement to say fill the pot with water to cover the bird about two inches...then remove the bird and mark the water level etc...This will prolly mean the pot was not completely full of water before removing the bird ~~~ Has anybody said you must, DRY, DRY, DRY the turkey before S-L-O-W-L-Y lowering the turkey into the oil???? If not...make sure the Turkey is DRY inside and out!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

Uncle Bob, you are so right. I didn't specify the water level. The main thing is you do not want the oil sloshing over, because the oil will ignite and all hades will go up in flame. Ditto any water making it splash all over anyone near the pot, AND, again, oil ignites very easily. And never, never try to put out an oil fire with water! It will just spread. I've never bought one, I assume the pot comes with a lid. MAKE SURE THE LID IS NEAR THE POT AT ALL TIMES. If the oil does, in spite of all precautions, catch fire, the fastest and easiest solution is putting the lid on it as quickly as possible. Then turn off the gas.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Uncle Bob, you are so right. I didn't specify the water level. The main thing is you do not want the oil sloshing over, because the oil will ignite and all hades will go up in flame. Ditto any water making it splash all over anyone near the pot, AND, again, oil ignites very easily. And never, never try to put out an oil fire with water! It will just spread. I've never bought one, I assume the pot comes with a lid. MAKE SURE THE LID IS NEAR THE POT AT ALL TIMES. If the oil does, in spite of all precautions, catch fire, the fastest and easiest solution is putting the lid on it as quickly as possible. Then turn off the gas.
+1 ....Yes to everything!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks Uncle Bob!