"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It was warmer in my fridge last night than it was in the kitchen this morning.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Anyone who has intentionally left food out over night "for decades" without getting sick needs a wake up call.
Actually, no we don't. The fact that neither us nor our child who is now in her mid 30s or anyone else that ate our food has had a problem speaks for itself since it's been DECADES! However, if anyone in the house was immune suppressed or had any other kind of health issue, things would be different. We use A/C pretty much year round because of where we live, so overnight temps are in mid to low 70s. When it's cold here, it's usually colder in the house than in the fridge as our heating unit isn't up to par with you northerners. On the few occasions that we have been without power because of a hurricane, the food either got eaten immediately or went into a cooler or now the fridge/freezer since we have a generator. Like Craig wrote, leftover seafood goes in the fridge ASAP. Anything like a roast for instance that is getting used for another full meal, like shepherd's pie, chef salad, etc., goes into the fridge /freezer after cooling. If it's getting eaten the next morning, after spending less than 12 hours in an A/C'd home, then obviously there isn't a problem since it's been done for DECADES.

People survived for thousands of years w/o refrigeration. Yes, a lot of people also died from various causes, including bad sanitation, various germs, etc., and life expectancy has greatly increased over the years. However, we also have "super" bugs that we didn't have years ago because of over/mis-use of antibiotics. It's also been theorized that the over-use of cleaning products and children not playing as much outside and not being exposed to environmental bacteria has led to decreased immune system efficiency in children.

We all know how some things that were "good" for you, have turned out to be "bad" for you. Anybody remember margarine for instance? Who can say that in years to come attitudes about food storage won't change?

I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital with "food poisoning," but there's lots of ways to get that and I note you didn't go into detail.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was on one forum where we had an acronym for that: lolstc (laughing out loud, scared the cat[s]).
I'll have to remember that, that's a good one.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #44
Master Chef

During cooler weather (ie: low 40s F or colder outside at night) I've been known to frequently use the garage as a cooling zone, leaving fresh-made food out there all night until I have time to repackage and refrigerate/freeze for future use. Himself and I have never become sick from food we've prepared at home. However, we've both become sickly to varying degrees from food consumed at restaurants. If you felt confident that your raw materials were fresh, your produce was clean, and you had a sanitary work area, there shouldn't be any issue. BUT creative, be sure to check in here when you get up so we all know you are still "with us" ok?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Oh no. You do realize that isn't how it works on DC, right? ...insert hilarious comedy riff here...That's how we roll here at DC, so please play along!
Steve, if laughing burns calories, I would like to thank you for that one pound of fat I lost while reading your post!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Actually, no we don't. The fact that neither us nor our child who is now in her mid 30s or anyone else that ate our food has had a problem speaks for itself since it's been DECADES! However, if anyone in the house was immune suppressed or had any other kind of health issue, things would be different. We use A/C pretty much year round because of where we live, so overnight temps are in mid to low 70s. When it's cold here, it's usually colder in the house than in the fridge as our heating unit isn't up to par with you northerners. On the few occasions that we have been without power because of a hurricane, the food either got eaten immediately or went into a cooler or now the fridge/freezer since we have a generator. Like Craig wrote, leftover seafood goes in the fridge ASAP. Anything like a roast for instance that is getting used for another full meal, like shepherd's pie, chef salad, etc., goes into the fridge /freezer after cooling. If it's getting eaten the next morning, after spending less than 12 hours in an A/C'd home, then obviously there isn't a problem since it's been done for DECADES.

People survived for thousands of years w/o refrigeration. Yes, a lot of people also died from various causes, including bad sanitation, various germs, etc., and life expectancy has greatly increased over the years. However, we also have "super" bugs that we didn't have years ago because of over/mis-use of antibiotics. It's also been theorized that the over-use of cleaning products and children not playing as much outside and not being exposed to environmental bacteria has led to decreased immune system efficiency in children.

We all know how some things that were "good" for you, have turned out to be "bad" for you. Anybody remember margarine for instance? Who can say that in years to come attitudes about food storage won't change?

I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital with "food poisoning," but there's lots of ways to get that and I note you didn't go into detail.
I apologize if I struck a nerve about your decades long food practices but it certainly doesn't offer good advice to others who read here. However, this is a public forum and not a private conversation. Naturally, you are free to choose any questionable food practices you choose, but to potentially influence others with intentionally leaving food not refrigerated when it's available is not responsible information to be posting.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Oh no. You do realize that isn't how it works on DC, right?

First, someone will answer your question. Then several others will come along and say more or less the same thing. Then there will be the dissenting opinion, followed by at least a page and a half of bickering. After some time, Addie will chime in with an off topic anecdotal story involving Pooh and a pirate (or some such), and how EVERYONE in New England leaves their chowder out overnight.

Things may or may not ever swing back to the original topic at this point. But never fear, because some eight or nine years in the future, it will all be dredged up again by a DC newcomer who didn't see the date on the thread and assumes you are still waiting for an answer.

That's how we roll here at DC, so please play along!
wow, i have been away a long time. this is funny?

so as to bring it back: i'm with gg and medtran. unless you have a weak stomach (as it used to be called), it's probably good.

there's lots of factors involved though. how clean and refrigerated everything was to start, how hot the kitchen was, etc..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
wow, i have been away a long time. this is funny?

so as to bring it back: i'm with gg and medtran. unless you have a weak stomach (as it used to be called), it's probably good.

there's lots of factors involved though. how clean and refrigerated everything was to start, how hot the kitchen was, etc..
Now about that clean fridge. I have no problem keeping the top shelf clean along with the top shelf on the door. But the other ones are a real problem. I can take them out easy enough, but can never get them back in without a major effort. Thank heavens I have two kids to help me.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #49
Head Chef

Lightbulb

In case you wanted an update to the OP here - I brought the stew to a quick boil, simmered it for a while and ate it. That was yesterday. Now it's the next morning and no untoward symptoms. Still standing!

(Of course, food poisoning can come on 1-2 days after consumption....)
Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #50
Executive Chef

I've been fortunate enough to never having a problem with eating food that has been left out. But, interesting enough, I have had food right out of the refrigerator that had me knocking pop cans off of a log from 50 metres....

Glad to hear you are ok.

Tags
food