Food Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
Our fridge quit working last Friday. I found out it was still under warranty when I called them (LG). It was hell dealing with them and that deserves its own thread. But it has not been looked at yet and I have not received one call from the service technician. I have made 3 calls myself and was promised. They lied.
Yesterday we went and bought a smaller fridge for the basement. We had/put all fresh food in coolers with ice.
However, we left the condiments in the non-working fridge upstairs. This is where I am concerned. Most if not all do not need refrigeration at all, but were refrigerated anyway. Stuff like mayo and dairy based items were put in iced down coolers and now reside in the new fridge.
I have everything from mustard to soy sauce still in there. Should I have any concern regarding these items? There is relish and pickles too and I made several jars of refrigerator peppers the day before it died.
Should I just throw it all out?
Thanks in advance.

We had the same problem when a "power surge" took out our refrigerator. We filled coolers with ice before it melted, and put everything that needed to be kept cool in there.
Mustard, soy sauce, pickles should be safe. All lf those are fermented, and can be safely stored out of refrigeration. I'm not familiar with refrigerator peppers, but if vinegar is involved, I'd give it the "sniff test" and assume they are safe.
LG is a premium brand, and if you tell them you are going to post a review on every cooking forum you can find, as well as charge them for any lost food, they may get off their duffs and get someone out to repair your refrigerator. It worked for us when Maytag dishwasher had an "incident" with the motherboard.
So sorry for your aggravation and inconvenience. Hope it all turns out well for you.

We had the same problem when a "power surge" took out our refrigerator. We filled coolers with ice before it melted, and put everything that needed to be kept cool in there.
Mustard, soy sauce, pickles should be safe. All lf those are fermented, and can be safely stored out of refrigeration. I'm not familiar with refrigerator peppers, but if vinegar is involved, I'd give it the "sniff test" and assume they are safe.
LG is a premium brand, and if you tell them you are going to post a review on every cooking forum you can find, as well as charge them for any lost food, they may get off their duffs and get someone out to repair your refrigerator. It worked for us when Maytag dishwasher had an "incident" with the motherboard.
So sorry for your aggravation and inconvenience. Hope it all turns out well for you.
Thanks. There is loss protection I did not know and saw it online. I asked them and they told me once the repair is complete I should call them back about it.
I don’t think they care much at all about my review. They already have bad reviews.
I did get a call from the repair people and they are coming tomorrow morning.

LG - evidently our stove was too technical for one of the seller's technicians to replace a sensor. So we were reimbursed for the total price of the stove. Acceptable to us since someone else was able to fix it with a 15 dollar part plus labor.
I asked about the possibility the fridge if it cannot be repaired and they told me it would be repaired. So we shall see.
LG has been horrible so far.
Language barrier, lack of knowledge on the product and flat out lies in regards to the technician arrival.
They actually told me I needed to allow the fridge to run for 24-48 hours since we unpluged it.
So people must wait that long to turn the fridge back on if they unplug it? SILLY AND STUPID.
I have unplugged it to clean under and behind with no ill effect.
Stupid dumb CSR’s

LG makes great TVs but their kitchen appliance reputation isn’t good. Sorry you have to deal with that.

Mustard, soy sauce, ketchup, Betterthanboullian, hot sauce, etc. will be fine.

Most supermarket pickles are not fermented. Especially if they are jarred. The vinegar and salt should keep them safe though.

Eek me and my husband just got a GE microwave (literally 6 days ago) and now I'm worried it might suck too. Our last Maytag microwave was a trooper and lasted about 15 years then one day decided to light itself on fire behind the mini holes.

Just remember, all appliances are a crap shoot now-a-days. Mainly because
Maytag and Amana, KitchenAid and Jenn-Air are all owned by Whirlpool. Have no idea how many others have been sucked up by various conglomerates.
Customer Service is ALL handled by Whirlpool. I, in Canada, ended up talking to Customer Service in Tennessee (or some-where-there-a-bouts). First thing they want to know is if there was human injury or gross damage to house. Gosh, I wonder why? After that they couldn't care less.
Even then - the repair I needed - a new mother-board ($380) for the stove was covered (I got in just under the end date) but guess what - Service charge was not = $390.

As others said, most of your condiments should be fine. But obviously if you see any mould or if they smell off, then throw them.
I keep soy & mustard out of the fridge and it is hot here!

As for keeping the fridge off: I think that is only for a couple hours and if you have moved it. Just for the gas to settle

LG makes great TVs but their kitchen appliance reputation isn’t good. Sorry you have to deal with that.

Mustard, soy sauce, ketchup, Betterthanboullian, hot sauce, etc. will be fine.

Most supermarket pickles are not fermented. Especially if they are jarred. The vinegar and salt should keep them safe though.
When it comes to TV's I prefer Sony. I had to return an LG 75" a couple of years ago and got the Sony instead and its head over heals a MUCH better picture.
I have both the fridge and gas range from LG. They have already worked on the range and now the fridge. I better pull out my range folder and see if it's still under warranty.

The peppers we made are refrigerator type. No hot water canning. They are in canning jars with lids and bands and were filled completely up and then topped off with boiling brine. We made about 8 jars. I would hate to lose them but it is what it is.
Thank you Jenny.

As others said, most of your condiments should be fine. But obviously if you see any mould or if they smell off, then throw them.
I keep soy & mustard out of the fridge and it is hot here!

As for keeping the fridge off: I think that is only for a couple hours and if you have moved it. Just for the gas to settle
They said because I turned off the breaker that I had to wait for 24–48 hours to see if it was working/cooling.
I pulled it out and opened it up to check for the flash code on the control board. And to see if the compressor and evaporator fan was running.
I put it all back so as not to inform them I had opened it up.
This morning the service showed up and found a bad compressor. Just as the flash code indicated when I checked on it.
It will not be installed until next Monday. So it's a very good thing we got a new small fridge.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice and comments.

Last edited:
Dang
Maytag and Amana, KitchenAid and Jenn-Air are all owned by Whirlpool. Have no idea how many others have been sucked up by various conglomerates.
Customer Service is ALL handled by Whirlpool. I, in Canada, ended up talking to Customer Service in Tennessee (or some-where-there-a-bouts). First thing they want to know is if there was human injury or gross damage to house. Gosh, I wonder why? After that they couldn't care less.
Even then - the repair I needed - a new mother-board ($380) for the stove was covered (I got in just under the end date) but guess what - Service charge was not = $390.
Dang, that's the absolute worst! I'm so sorry that you had to pay for a stupid phone call.

I had no idea KitchenAid was part of the moNopoLy too. I always thought their products were really good. I have a KitchenAid stand mixer right now that I use all the time and it's amazing. Got a dicer/slicer attachment for when I make soup or stir fry and am too lazy to grab my knife. It's wonderful.

In Boston, I use a 30 year old glasstop Whirlpool electric stove. The absolute best Ive ever cooked on. I dont know what Ill do when she kicks....

I think I had amongst the first upright freezers Amana ever made. I bought it 2nd hand in the late 70's, think it was already 20 or even 30 yrs old then. I had it right up until I moved from the farm in 2021. I gave it to a friend who is still using it. Worked perfect, not frost free, but I loved it!

I went through two Maytag dishwashers in three years. Used about every other day, loaded properly, and there was a recall due to "fire danger." . The first one Maytag offered to replace the mother board,replaced by an "authorized service", and I waited three months because Maytag didn't have enough boards to service the recalls. I called another authorized service, who provided a swap out, and within a few months that one failed. Maytag offered another dishwasher. No thanks!
We got a Whirlpool dishwasher that has functioned well for 15 years. I will never, ever buy a Maytag appliance!

We had the same problem when a "power surge" took out our refrigerator.
We've been experiencing some odd electrical things around the house. So much so, that PUD actually came out and placed a "recorder" on the panel. They've picked it up already, but have not yet given us the results.

We have surge protectors on most of our important things, but we realized we do not have them on appliances. Given the cost of all the appliances, last week I ordered Whole-House surge protectors. They will arrive today. We needed 2 because we have 2 panels. The electrician told us what to buy and he will come and install them for us.

Better safe than sorry!

TVs Samsung. We have 6 of them... (two houses)

In our newer Cape kitchen we have an electric GE stove/oven (no gas here) which is awesome, a Fridigaire refrigerator and a Kitchenaide dishwasher. All are great.

The reason the mother-board went on my gas stove was due to humidity. I did not have air-conditioning and that summer was particularly bad. So it shorted itself.
When it happened a 2nd time, I started searching the internet. I found the exact same stove for sale and phoned them. I asked them what was wrong with it and it turned out to be the exact same thing. You could still use the stove top but not anything electronic.
The next day I went shopping and finally found an all gas stove - no electronics at all. Yes, electricity to man the sparks and the thermostat, but absolutely nothing else. Even a couple of years later that stove failed on me. Can't remember why we had to get under the top of the stove but the inset screws were all but welded in and we could not get them out to lift the top. Only way to do it was to send it to the shop where they would use a drill press somehow to ream them out. $$$$$
And another one bites the dust.
The next one I could not lower the flame to a low simmer. 5 different gas guys could not, had to use a diffuser. Never had that on a gas stove before. I have a total of 6 gas stoves in various houses. 4 of them in one house in as many years.
The other two??? HA! Antiques at the cottage. Best damn gas stoves I've ever had!

I think I had amongst the first upright freezers Amana ever made. I bought it 2nd hand in the late 70's, think it was already 20 or even 30 yrs old then. I had it right up until I moved from the farm in 2021. I gave it to a friend who is still using it. Worked perfect, not frost free, but I loved it!
Our last fridge was an Amana. We gave it to our daughter. She left it at my MIL's house and she used it for a few more years.
When she died and the house was sold that fridge was left for the new owners. It was still working great. I guess it was at least 25 years old or even older.
My wife just had to have the French doors and bottom freezer. We ended up with a single top door with bottom freezer. Commercial style. It's the one we are waiting to be repaired.
We've been experiencing some odd electrical things around the house. So much so, that PUD actually came out and placed a "recorder" on the panel. They've picked it up already, but have not yet given us the results.

We have surge protectors on most of our important things, but we realized we do not have them on appliances. Given the cost of all the appliances, last week I ordered Whole-House surge protectors. They will arrive today. We needed 2 because we have 2 panels. The electrician told us what to buy and he will come and install them for us.

Better safe than sorry!
Our POCO will install a whole house surge protector outside at the meter.
This eliminates the need for individual surge protectors for appliances and electronics.
There is a $6.99 monthly fee for it.
Remember. Surge protectors have a limited life span. After they have thwarted a few spikes or surges they must be replaced.
So the monthly fee from our POCO is worth it as they replace it as needed.
And no need to pay an electrician as the POCO will install it for free.
Call them and see or look it up online.

Our last fridge was an Amana. We gave it to our daughter. She left it at my MIL's house and she used it for a few more years.
When she died and the house was sold that fridge was left for the new owners. It was still working great. I guess it was at least 25 years old or even older.
My wife just had to have the French doors and bottom freezer. We ended up with a single top door with bottom freezer. Commercial style. It's the one we are waiting to be repaired.

Our POCO will install a whole house surge protector outside at the meter.
This eliminates the need for individual surge protectors for appliances and electronics.
Remember. Surge protectors have a limited life span. After they have thwarted a few spikes or surges they must be replaced.
So the monthly fee from our POCO is worth it as they replace it as needed.
And no need to pay an electrician as the POCO will install it for free.
Call them and see or look it up online.
Thanks, RB. We were told that the whole panel one does need to be replaced. They also told us we could install individual breakers/protectors and those work like a breaker, you can flip them back on. But they want a small fortune for one of those.

I'll bet that Amana is still going!

I did not know they need replacing! I'll have to check with my son - perhaps I should be shopping!
I do use my laptop in various places and on an extension cord when needed. I never leave it plugged in on those during the night. The one most often used is a surge protector thing and I will leave it on that if necessary.

We often have quite a few blackout plus what they call brownouts - where the power flickers off and then right back on. I figure that's not only bad for everything but extremely annoying for the few digitals that need to be reset each time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom