Is this safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefksm

Assistant Cook
I put some pork belly in a waterbath last night at around 10:30pm at a temp of 165. I checked them at 8 am this morning and the temp was 85. The cooker was off. I had accidentally turned off a switch that controls the light in the room a well as the cooker. Turned it right back on and the cooker went straight to the settings I had entered but evidently was not actively heating any longer.

So, I know the water was held at 165 for about an hour and half (no idea what this relates to for the internal temp of packages.)

So, I am thinking that if I bring it back up to 165 and cook for several hours, I should be fine since at least the surface of the food and the interior of the bag should have reached a temperature and held at that temp for a time that would make the product safe and since it was sealed under vacuum no new pathogens could enter. I feel like I'm good.

What say you?

Fair. Enough. I usually put a post-it on that switch when I am sous vide cooking because it is just habit to turn it off last thing every night. Such an idiot. 😁

Hey, stick around, this is a good site with some great knowledgeable people, whom I'm sure, 1 or 2 might disagree with my statement, anyway, take care.

Hi chefksm, Welcome to DC

I'm sort of on the same side of the fence as pictonguy. And yeah, I'm sure others won't agree. I think that it also depends on the actual size of the meat. If it was at 165 for hour and half then turned off it would take at least another half hour for the temperature to drop. So again, depending on the size of the piece as to the penetration of the heat - it's your call.

Hi chefksm, Welcome to DC

I'm sort of on the same side of the fence as pictonguy. And yeah, I'm sure others won't agree. I think that it also depends on the actual size of the meat. If it was at 165 for hour and half then turned off it would take at least another half hour for the temperature to drop. So again, depending on the size of the piece as to the penetration of the heat - it's your call.
Yeah, I though about the size but generally speaking pork belly is around the same thickness, 2 and 3 inches and whether it's a 1lb or a 5 lb there won't be much difference in heat displacement when cooling imo, but it is a factor for the ultimate internal temp, but does a few hours in a water bath automatically render the meat unserviceable and both of us believe it doesn't. Even if it was sliced I still wouldn't have a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom