"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Freezing leftovers

How soon after cooking do you need to freeze leftovers? I frequently make too much food to be eaten in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't want to freeze it if it has been held in the refrigerator too long. Is there a "rule of thumb" here that could help me? I hate wasting food!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Everymom

Generally speaking, if the leftovers won't get eaten in the next 3 days they ought to go in the freezer. Thats my own personal Rule of Thumb.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you should plan to freeze within the same time frame that you would consider them safe to eat as a leftover without freezing. I generally think leftovers should be consumed within three days. So, now I think I would add: eat or freeze within three days.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Generally speaking, if the leftovers won't get eaten in the next 3 days they ought to go in the freezer. Thats my own personal Rule of Thumb.
I agree with Alix, if I'm not going to use them in the next 3-4 days then i freeze them.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyler View Post
How soon after cooking do you need to freeze leftovers? I frequently make too much food to be eaten in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't want to freeze it if it has been held in the refrigerator too long. Is there a "rule of thumb" here that could help me? I hate wasting food!
I follow the two day rule...but usually the next day once cooled
Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
Senior Cook

In our side we Before eating leftovers, reheat them thoroughly. Reheat leftover sauces, soups and gravies to boiling. Freeze it frst in just a day then reheat it ,,, thats my i observe usually
Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

depends

Fish, custard cake, whatever has high proteins and is wet, I will suggest to toss and not freeze.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree with the three days - freeze or eat. BUT, if you freeze it, then it must be eaten the day it's defrosted. The three day clock doesn't start again.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Cook

I personally do not let a day or two pass without consuming the leftovers. Sometimes I give the leftovers to my dog for food so it won't be wasted to trash. So I think you should set a rule regarding leftovers to prevent them to become a waste. :)