Freezing leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctyler

Assistant Cook
How soon after cooking do you need to freeze leftovers? I frequently make too much food to be eaten in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't want to freeze it if it has been held in the refrigerator too long. Is there a "rule of thumb" here that could help me? I hate wasting food!

Generally speaking, if the leftovers won't get eaten in the next 3 days they ought to go in the freezer. Thats my own personal Rule of Thumb.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you should plan to freeze within the same time frame that you would consider them safe to eat as a leftover without freezing. I generally think leftovers should be consumed within three days. So, now I think I would add: eat or freeze within three days.

Generally speaking, if the leftovers won't get eaten in the next 3 days they ought to go in the freezer. Thats my own personal Rule of Thumb.

I agree with Alix, if I'm not going to use them in the next 3-4 days then i freeze them.

How soon after cooking do you need to freeze leftovers? I frequently make too much food to be eaten in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't want to freeze it if it has been held in the refrigerator too long. Is there a "rule of thumb" here that could help me? I hate wasting food!

I follow the two day rule...but usually the next day once cooled

In our side we Before eating leftovers, reheat them thoroughly. Reheat leftover sauces, soups and gravies to boiling. Freeze it frst in just a day then reheat it ,,, thats my i observe usually

I agree with the three days - freeze or eat. BUT, if you freeze it, then it must be eaten the day it's defrosted. The three day clock doesn't start again.

I personally do not let a day or two pass without consuming the leftovers. Sometimes I give the leftovers to my dog for food so it won't be wasted to trash. So I think you should set a rule regarding leftovers to prevent them to become a waste. :)

Back
Top Bottom