Hibachi leftovers 1 week old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some hibachi leftovers that are a week old. It's shrimp and scallops with veggies. If it looks and smells okay, is it okay to eat?

leftover seafood should not be kept more than one day, whether it was cooked on a hibachi or any other way. I certainly wouldn't want to risk it.

Some food items I cook taste way better a day or two later. Beef or chicken curry, for instance tastes so much better the next evening, reheated.
Cold tri-tips thinly sliced are the bomb all week long.
Often times I'll take a week old left over cooked steak, dice it, re-grill them on a cast iron pan, and make tacos.

my freezer, yes, my sub-zero frig, I confess no, espesh seafood
We must have had the same model S/Z fridg. ..:LOL: We didn't trust our's either. I had a hard time replacing it with a non-S/Z fridg that was only 24" deep that fit flush into the wall. Finally found an Amana that did with a little wood trim work.

Last edited:
We must have had the same model S/Z fridg. ..:LOL: We didn't trust our's either. I had a hard time replacing it with a non-S/Z fridg that was only 24" deep that fit flush into the wall. Finally found an Amana that did with a little wood trim work.
Same frig, different fix, road! About a year ago, I gutted my subzee and had its innards rebuilt. It's wall-flush maple woodwork is gorgeous.

my overkill answer to the op would be some questions. how's your constitution? (i don't mean "we the people")

do you regularly eat leftovers? do you ever eat raw eggs, meat, or fish? have you ever gotten sick from iffy food before?

as far as the food goes: how long was it from the time it was cooked to the time it was refrigerated? was it well sealed in a container without a lot of air? did it have a lot of salt, or a salty or acidic sauce on it?

i've eaten week old food before many times, even seafood, but i would answer yes to my first 2 questions, and no about ever getting sick from dodgy food.

mainly, i go with my nose, but you also have to consider texture. some things that don't smell bad still get slimy or mushy which can get you sick. finally, a visual inpection might show mold, which can be odorless/tasteless. if there's mold, chuck it.

if there's rice involved, i'm much more skeptical. there's so much moisture and surface area with rice that i've found it goes bad faster than just about any other food.

hth.

Some food items I cook taste way better a day or two later. Beef or chicken curry, for instance tastes so much better the next evening, reheated.

I would agree with that Roadfix, however the operative words are "better a day or two later", not a week later. I admit I'm a little phobic about food safety, as only those of us who have had a full blown case of food poisoning tend to be. Three days in the hospital with IV's at death's door made me a little paranoid. :huh:

that's not paranoid, k-l. it's just being smart. you know yourself and your tolerance.

however, many people around the world eat food that americans would consider way outside safe zones every day, and no one dies from it. their bodies are more used to the different bacteria or other pathogens.

my biggest fear is parasites. and i don't mean people from paris. ;) i eat a lot of sushi, so i hope the inspectors are well trained and not having a bad day.

parasites are most likely to have been in the food when you bought it, so it's not necessarily a worry with refrigerated leftovers.

I have some hibachi leftovers that are a week old. It's shrimp and scallops with veggies. If it looks and smells okay, is it okay to eat?

Have you heard of the following nursery rhyme?

Pease porridge hot,
Pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot,
Nine days old.
Pee-yuh!

cut your losses & put that food in a trash-can.

i've gotten food poisioning from someone's food. ain't too very great. & that's being very, very gentle. 'ya ought wanna avoid that. unless snoozing on linoleum as nearby as is feasible 2 your toilet is preferable 2 a comforter & solid snooze, minus iv drips, & that. i'm a being a realist, here.

Last edited:
Seafood leftovers should never be eaten after that long, OP. Unless you wish to be speaking to Ralph on the big white phone.

Back
Top Bottom