"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is it safe to cook chicken in a pressure cooker?

I just cooked 4 fresh breasts chicken in a pressure cooker cooker with a bit a browning (middle was pink), is that safe (cooked for 15 minutes)?

This was high (15)

Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef

What was the internal temp.?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
What was the internal temp.?
If I had that information, this question would not of been asked. However the chicken was white throughout and it feel apart very easily.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

So which is it? In your first post you said pink in the middle, now you claim it is white throughout? The smart thing to do would is buy an instant read thermometer and not ask people to guess for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, it is safe to cook chicken in a pressure cooker, as long as you follow the directions and correct length if time.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I've cooked chicken in the pressure cooker. A whole one. Fall off the bone done and very juicy.
I am answering your subject line and not whether or not your pink/white chicken was safe.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Master Chef

Cobnsidering that I can successfully cook beef stew meat, with a pot full of veggies, in a pressure cooker, at 10 lbs. pressure, for 15 minutes, adn get meat doneness and testure as if it had been stewed (braised) for three hours, I would say that your chicken, if cooked at pressure for 15 minutes, was definitely done.

But, as was stated above, follow your PC directions, and time recommendations. Your PC will give you fall-off-the bone chicken ribs, short ribs, etc. If used right, it's one of the most valuable cooking vessels in your kitchen. I wouldn't try to make a stir-fry with it though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
But, as was stated above, follow your PC directions, and time recommendations. Your PC will give you fall-off-the bone chicken ribs, short ribs, etc. If used right, it's one of the most valuable cooking vessels in your kitchen. I wouldn't try to make a stir-fry with it though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
It gave me the cooking time for chicken breasts as 6 minutes. However when I look at the recipes at the back, it tells me that I should brown the all the chicken in the pan for about 5 minutes each, I only did two minutes.

Just out of curiosity why would you not make stir fry in a pressure cooker? funny enough I was going to cook that tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJplusMilo21 View Post
It gave me the cooking time for chicken breasts as 6 minutes. However when I look at the recipes at the back, it tells me that I should brown the all the chicken in the pan for about 5 minutes each, I only did two minutes.

Just out of curiosity why would you not make stir fry in a pressure cooker? funny enough I was going to cook that tomorrow.
Part of a stir-friy's apeal lies in the texture of the food. Meat is cut into small cubes to cook quickly, as are the various veggies used. A small amount of high temperature oil, and a very hot wok, or heavy fry pan is used. The ingredients are placed in the pan, and stirred around until they are just cooked. Veggies should be slightly crunchy, and the meat should be done through, but only lightly browned.

This results in a tender, and juicy meat, surrounded by lighlty crisp veggies, and whatever flavorings that have been added, i.e. soy sauce, ginger, 5- spice, garlic, etc.

The pressure cooker will turn overcook the veggies. They will still taste ok, the the wonderful texture of a proper stir fry will be lost.

As far browning your chicken before cooking under pressure, this partially cooks the meat, but more importantly, it browns the meat surface, giving it a better flavor. If you brought it up to pressure, and cooked it for 15 minutes, then your chicken was definitely cooked through, especially if the recommended cooking time was 6 minutes. You almost tripled the recommended cooking time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Yes I always make it in pressure cooker, Its saves time. But always make sure you don't over do it.

Tags
chicken, cook