"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Ahhh, I was not clear.
The "(just like us)" was in reference to losing nutritional value.
But in comparing us to pets, what we lack in stomach acids we make up for in the length of our digestive tract compared to theirs. That's why we can digest veggies and get nutrition from them and they cannot unless they are pulped first or already partially digested.
Thanks. Out of necessity, I've learned a lot about the human digestive system, but not so much about animals.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Spike and I both put raw meat down for Teddy. Some days he eats it as it is and right away. Other times he leaves it there for a couple of days until it become dry and hard. That he wolfs down. When he is out on his walks with Spike, he runs to dead pigeons and anything else just lying around on the street. Spike has to pull him back. Street fare is not allowed on his diet. The animal may have died from poisoning.

I am a fanatic about making sure the water in his bowl here, is always fresh. This I do for a dog that drinks from puddles of muddy water. A few nights ago I had a small piece of raw brisket I was preparing. I tossed him a small piece. That disappeared in a hurry. After he left, I put the trimmings in the bowl for him, for the next night. When I put it down for him the next day, he turned his nose up and let it sit there until the following day. Dry hard meat. Go figure! We both let Teddy decide if he wants to eat what we put down for him. He is a spoiled little dog. Neither one of us are concerned with surface germs. Teddy knows instinctively if it is not good for him.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
My dogs ate poop.

I wouldn't worry about meat sourced from a reputable seller.

I was about to say the same thing, some of the things that dogs will eat , raw meat would probably be sterile in comparison!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Grant you, the wild dogs of Africa and other places have a stronger constitution than our pets, but they will bury their cache and dig it up days later, covered with dirt and still eat it. BLEH! If it was our pet doing that, we would be rushing it to the vet's office.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Sous Chef

If my critters get any raw meat, it's the tiniest dab of hamburger (smaller than a dime), never chicken. My future pet care does not include boiling water for a dinner dip. Our last three dogs, all large, lived to be more than 15 years of age with non-boiling water/bleach dip meals.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Head Chef

What do dogs eat in the wild? Their digestive tract and their teeth were developed for a reason. Since that took place over millenia I am inclined to think that the few short years that they've been domesticated would not change that.

But there may be a few genetically engineered dogs (ones that have been miniaturized or ?) and can't eat the normal diet of a dog. I don't know because I've never owned one. But I bred (large) dogs for a while and have owned more than just a couple (grin) and was around dog shows for years. One breeder of champion borzois (Russian Wolfhound) fed her dogs nothing but raw meat.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
What do dogs eat in the wild? Their digestive tract and their teeth were developed for a reason. Since that took place over millenia I am inclined to think that the few short years that they've been domesticated would not change that.

But there may be a few genetically engineered dogs (ones that have been miniaturized or ?) and can't eat the normal diet of a dog. I don't know because I've never owned one. But I bred (large) dogs for a while and have owned more than just a couple (grin) and was around dog shows for years. One breeder of champion borzois (Russian Wolfhound) fed her dogs nothing but raw meat.
There isn't.
But that's not saying their owners... err, I mean "people", don't humanize them and have their misguided belief they won't eat anything but people food because they have created finicky eaters.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Dogs have been domesticated for over 12,000 years.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Head Chef

"Domesticated" over 12,000 years----- yes, for sure. And according to some experts maybe even longer. But I bet they didn't have doggy cushions to lie on.

I probably mis-spoke when I said 'domesticated'. I meant domesticated in the sense of what we think of as domesticated---- those that performed a job (sled dogs), lived in the sleeves of Chinese princesses (Pekingese), chased down quarry for us (Norwegian Elk Hound). Then later became our house dog and pet with all privileges attendant.

But I bet those early dogs (or 'domesticated' wolves) ate raw meat and bones.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Head Chef

Here is a picture of an Afghan Hound, a very ancient breed. I had several that looked almost the same.

Tags
meat