"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This is a bit unusual, because I'm not talking about food for humans, but food for cats & dogs. There are a lot of people advocating a raw diet for dogs and cats. There are other peopled who are very concerned about micro-organisms.

I was wondering, if one were to dip raw meat in boiling water, how long would it take to kill the germs on the surface of the meat? Would killing surface micro-organisms give me fairly sterile meat?

Does anyone have any suggestions or links to where I would find that kind of info?
My mother always recommended rinsing meat with vinegar if it was a bit suspect (not bad actually, just a bit ripe.)

Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I use bleach.
Not for animals!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This is exactly why I am asking. I have gotten into arguments about this with two vets' nutritionists. They are convinced that I will put my cat at incredible risk if I feed him raw food. I am a little concerned because he is 18 y.o. I would like to have some scientific info to tell these nutritionists. The vets sell a book with cat food recipes. They are all cooked and contain vegis, fruit, and grain. Yes, cats get a bit of vegis, fruit, and grain in the digestive tracts of their prey, but it comes with the appropriate digestive enzymes. Those are enzymes that cats don't produce. The proportion of non-animal ingredients in the book's recipes is also a lot higher than what a cat would get in prey.

This subject came up again yesterday. Obviously the person was closed-minded on the subject. She insisted that taurine, as a supplement, is almost impossible to find. I told her that I had found it at Popeye's, a store that sells supplements for humans. Apparently weight lifters take it. She repeated how hard it is to find taurine. She also kept on about how horrible it is to see an animal with a bacterial infection. She doesn't believe that dipping the food in boiling water would kill the germs. I should have asked if she eats all her meat well done.

This vet uses a compromise between raw and cooked: Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes. She bakes chicken a bit. I tried that, but I have no idea how long to bake it. She used to dip in boiling water, but believes that one loses too many nutrients. But, she doesn't really cook for herself, so I don't think she has ever heard of making your own chicken stock, which I would add to the food instead of the water in the recipe. Yes, it would make the skin less digestible, but at least the cat would be getting mostly raw food.
The hounds at the hunt kennels ate both raw and canned food and that nasty dried kibble sort of food. They liked the raw best. The huntsman had a licence to humanely destroy fallen stock (injured cattle, sheep, horses, etc) and also to deal with the carcasses of farm animals which had died as a result of accidents. The hounds got the meat and looked very well on it.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

He is not "The Dog Whisperer".
He is "The Dog Gourmand"

Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
He is not "The Dog Whisperer".
He is "The Dog Gourmand"

I was amazed to see (in that video) that there weren't any real dog fights!
Personally, I don't like that way of feeding the dogs.

Maybe they had their reasons---- besides have the kennel floor licked clean by the dogs.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

I was watching closely and a couple looked at each other sideways, but he was in complete control and the dogs knew not to start a squabble. I'm sure it would not be the same if he was not present.
I have to wonder though if every dog gets fed. My GSD is so submissive there's no way she would push her way into a pack like that for food. She would lag back and look for crumbs.
I imagine if they see one dropping weight they know who isn't getting any.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I was watching closely and a couple looked at each other sideways, but he was in complete control and the dogs knew not to start a squabble. I'm sure it would not be the same if he was not present.
I have to wonder though if every dog gets fed. My GSD is so submissive there's no way she would push her way into a pack like that for food. She would lag back and look for crumbs.
I imagine if they see one dropping weight they know who isn't getting any.

I was watching fairly closely too----- since I was looking for fights.
You're right---- the more submissive dog won't get it's fair share. Losing weight as a barometer for whether it's getting it's fair share of food??? What happens then----- to the knackers?

Yeah, that guy with the big stick (or was that a stun stick?) standing by them? I've seen how some people 'train' their dogs.

OK, I may be getting a bit steamed up for something that isn't going to affect me personally. But........ Sigh.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

I was amazed to see (in that video) that there weren't any real dog fights!
Personally, I don't like that way of feeding the dogs.

Maybe they had their reasons---- besides have the kennel floor licked clean by the dogs.
Unfortunately, if the young hounds show an inclination to fight during training they are (sorry to have to put it this way) culled as would be any adult hound which developed a taste for fighting.

They are not pets and never can be. They must learn to be totally under the control of the Huntsman and Kennel Man or they are out and I don't mean they are sold or given away as pets!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Cool video Pac.

However, I still have no idea how long to parboil meat to kill surface contamination.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #70
Head Chef

I'm sure you're right, MadCook.

TaxLady said:

"However, I still have no idea how long to parboil meat to kill surface contamination."

Sorry for my part in hi-jacking your thread.

Tags
meat