"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

I used to heat my home with a wood stove in the "good old days" and I had super great insulated leather gloves with long cuffs. They were very heat resistant and I never got burns except beyond the end of the gloves. So the burns just moved from the protected part of my hands and arms to the unprotected.

All that to say, use whatever you are most comfortable with, but no matter what you use, if you're careless you will get burned.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I use silicone pot holders, and I like them. But people who help in my kitchen often hate them. The complaint is that they are not flexible enough, and if they get wet, they're slippery.

For flexibility and protection, you may want to look for the Ove-Glove. They are a little pricey, but people I know who have them, love them! I've seen them in the kitchen stores at the outlet mall, and I'm sure you can find them online.
I did try them. They were a little pricey but I got them on sale and I have to say, the best money I've spent. They are "bulky" but I can still grab with my hands and bend my fingers around baking dishes, roasting pans, whatever. I am very glad I bought these. Thanks so much for this suggestion.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #33
Head Chef

Pot holders here-- Mitts I feel I don't have a good hold when I have them on. I have used towels on occasion.
Has anyone purchased the Ove glove? Is so do they work? Doesn't seem to be heat proof enough for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Pot holders here-- Mitts I feel I don't have a good hold when I have them on. I have used towels on occasion.
Has anyone purchased the Ove glove? Is so do they work? Doesn't seem to be heat proof enough for me.
The Ove Gloves are great. But, I did find out there is a limit to the time you can hold onto something before your hands start getting hot. I didn't burn myself, though. I had hauled a pan out to the living room to show Shrek the lovely loaf of bread...3 minutes top before you start feeling the heat.

I haven't gotten them wet, yet, and checked on the heat transfer.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I did purchase the Ove Glove and I really like them. I have arthritis in my hands and trying to hold onto a hot pan with a pot holder is ify at best wit a weak grip. I can use all my fingers and manuver the pan much better. I don't hold on to things very long so heat transfer isn't a problem, from oven to counter, about 3 seconds, works for me. I feel more secure with heavier items like roasting pans too. They are a bit expensive, but if you get them on sale like I did, it's worth the money. I did get one thumb wet but didn't really notice any heat or burn my self. I'm very happy with the pair I have so far.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
I did purchase the Ove Glove and I really like them. I have arthritis in my hands and trying to hold onto a hot pan with a pot holder is ify at best wit a weak grip. I can use all my fingers and manuver the pan much better. I don't hold on to things very long so heat transfer isn't a problem, from oven to counter, about 3 seconds, works for me. I feel more secure with heavier items like roasting pans too. They are a bit expensive, but if you get them on sale like I did, it's worth the money. I did get one thumb wet but didn't really notice any heat or burn my self. I'm very happy with the pair I have so far.
That is very nice to know. Thanks, Linda! I don't always notice where I toss them when I take them off and I've gotten burned from wet pot holders, towels and mitts before!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
Master Chef

Thick double terry hot pads for me. I have two silicone pads that I don't like...I can feel the heat through them too fast. Mits are too bulky, for both my hands and the drawer. Someone mentioned hand crocheted pads......good for nothing but "cuteness".....those holes are not a good thing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thick double terry hot pads for me. I have two silicone pads that I don't like...I can feel the heat through them too fast. Mits are too bulky, for both my hands and the drawer. Someone mentioned hand crocheted pads......good for nothing but "cuteness".....those holes are not a good thing.
I used the crocheted pads as dishrags, they are great for that!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I used the crocheted pads as dishrags, they are great for that!
Never thought of that......good idea, PF.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Never thought of that......good idea, PF.
My sister makes them out of all her ends when she's done with a project. Her pretty stuff gets displayed. She crochets in cotton.