Rotten Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2cook21

Assistant Cook
So, I am in the middle of making the "batter" for my cheese cake and I crack in what I assume was a rotten egg (as it smelled). The other eggs in there (2 previously cracked in) were just fine. Now, here I am with the dilemma of using the "batter" and hope that it cooks off or starting all over again.

My question is whether that one bad egg will cause problems or not.

I know it sounds silly, but this is the first time in a long time of cooking that this has happened.

Little help?

If the egg smells I cannot believe the battered dish will taste all that good.

I would start again, sorry.

Always break my eggs into a bowl and then add them to a mixture, one by one, so if there is something wrong with one egg I can just toss it without having to discard everything.

But that may be a little too obsessive for many.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I just happened to have some left over batter from a previous batch (with good eggs) and I did a side by side test (perhaps not the smartest idea, but oh well) and the one with the bad egg seemed to taste fine.

that is why you always crack it open on one bowl and transfer it. It might be time consuming but it is better to be safe than sorry :) a bad egg can ruin everything

I would have tossed the whole thing. I was buying free range eggs for awhile and the rotten egg syndrome was prevalent enough for me to go back to eggs from a more modern farm. Unfortunate, because I don't care for that method, at all....but I care less for having to toss out an egg for each dozen I buy. Not sure what the correlation was to free range vs bad egg.

In the future, you may consider cracking your eggs into a bowl, rather into the batter. It's also a good way to prevent shells from entering your recipe.

When I make any kind of baked goods, I always use two bowls, one to sift the dry ingredients into, and one to combine the wet ingredients, which is usually the Kitchen-Aid bowl. Eggs are always the first to go into the wet ingredients bowl, so I have never had the need to dirty another bowl to crack eggs into.

BTW, I have never, ever, found a rotten egg in the 30 plus years I have been cooking and baking.

Another way to avoid a rotten egg, check the date when you buy the eggs, get the freshest ones that are available. They should have the date of collection and also expiration printed on the package, and make sure to use them up well before the expiration. Which I usually never have to worry about they are used up quickly enough...:pig: Fresh eggs do make the difference in flavour and texture, especially in desserts!

The term "fresh" egg as far as commercial supermarket eggs go is an enigma at best, as those eggs can be stored for quite some time in refrigerated warehouses before being sold, & yet can still be marketed as "fresh". You can easily tell the freshness of your eggs when you crack them into a pan or bowl. A truly fresh egg will have a yolk surrounded by a high compact white - sometimes not much bigger than the yolk itself. As the egg ages, the yolk becomes flatter & more watery, thus starts spreading all over the pan. Very few supermarket eggs DON'T do this, which alone should tell you how old they already are. It's an unfortunate fact that commercial egg producers take full advantage of the fact that properly stored eggs can remain edible for an unbelievably long time. However, that spreading does NOT mean the egg is not perfectly safe to eat/use - just shows you that the egg has definitely been "out of the hen" for probably more than a week. Any egg that smells, however, has actually spoiled, & just like any other spoiled product, should immediately be thrown away. Period.

That aside, the only way to prevent your cooking from becoming contaminated from an egg that is truly rotten is just as others have posted - breaking your eggs into a separate container before adding them to your recipe. And regardless of how your end product ended up tasting, you were (& are) really taking quite a health risk by knowingly consuming a spoiled/rotten egg - cooked through or not. No amount of other ingredients involved would have prevented me from tossing that batch. Yuck.

Last edited:
If there is a rotten egg in your mixture I don't think that is good. If you are out of eggs go to the market and get more eggs. I would definitely start over.

Have a have day.

Jill and Jolie

To avoid this happening ever again, whenever you are adding eggs to a recipe, always crack each one into a small bowl, and THEN slide it into your cheesecake batter (or whatever). Do EACH egg this way, and you won't have to throw out any but the offending egg next time.

This probably happens maybe once a decade, but you just never know. Better to be safe than sorry!

One tip that I use constantly in any recipe where the order of ingredients isn't important is to add the egg first to the bowl.

Meatloaf for instance. Instead of adding the slightly beaten egg(s) to the meat in the bowl, I add the eggs to the bowl first & then the meat. Doesn't make a bit of difference to the outcome of the dish, but does enable me to check the eggs first without using a separate dish.

I do this whenever I can, so long as the precise time of the egg addition isn't important.

Yes rotten eggs might not be fun unless of course you have purposely rotted them. In Chinese cooking there is an egg called Century Egg (at least that's what I believe the common english name is called). I'm not certain of how they are made, but I believe it involves burying them for an extended period of time in some kind of special mud. When they are good and ripe the shells have a bluish ting and the insides are a strange translucent green color and smell unbelievably like amonia.

Yah they aren't really that healthy for you.:sick:

Back
Top Bottom