My wife just reminded me and thought it would be a good thing to post here of "some" of the dangers in overheating Teflon "PTFE" coated pots and pans.
Early one morning while the wife and kids were in the back looking through the garden, i thought i'd make breafast. So i got my trusty non-stick designated egg pan, lit the burner and all of a sudden, my daughter started screaming! Not realizing the burner was still on high, and putting the pan on the burner, i ran out to find that a bee had just started to sting her as my wife swatted it away.
What did seem like an eternity, was only about five minutes, and remembering that i forgot about the pan, i rushed back in to take care of that. I went and shut off the burner, opened a few windows because it smelled, and when i started opening the second window, i started feeling sick. My first thought was that the flu was going around, but this felt different! In the other room however was Thunder, my Moluccan Cockatoo, and Storm my Yellow Collar Macaw, which were getting loud, but thats because they wanted their everyday fruit for breakfast as well.
About an hour later I had a temp of 103.9, headache, stomachache, backache and the chills, so i had my wife take me to the hospital, and my best friend and neighbor come over to take care of the kids. Upon getting in the hospital i thought it was one of those flu's from over seas, but in talking to the doctor he automatically diagnosed "Teflon Flu" and after cultures came back, he was right!
Meanwhile, my wife gets a call from home, and come to find out as soon as we pulled out of the drive, both birds were acting very erratic and Storm started convulsing and soon dieing afterwords with my friend actually giving him CPR to try to save him! And right after that my friend walks in to check in on Thunder, and he was hanging upside down on his perch, and already passed.
Soon thereafter, i was finally released and went home to morn the losses, as well as find out what happened to my birds. So we called the vet and (per her recommendation) we're off to get an autopsy. And if that wasn't bad enough as well as the whole day....what i found out there was worse!
I guess when birds inhale PTFE fumes it automatically attacks their nervous system and lungs, which then they start to hemorrhage and suffer greatly!
Then finding out from the vet that the hotter Teflon gets, more chemicals, and tiny little particles start releasing from the cookware which actually are said to embed deep into the lungs. However, there is at a certian point in temperature upon which Teflon starts to emit a Toxic gasses.....And now thinking about that, i really don't know what the actual temp was, and i never want to find out, again!
I guess in all these happenings and for the lack of a better phrase....What doesn't kill you makes you grow stronger, and i firmly believe that!
All i can say now is be careful, never use Teflon coated cookware on high heat, of even medium-high for that fact.
Since then however, Dupont does now list (ONLY) on their web site about that they call "Polymer Fume Feaver"!http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/...Search/results
And click "What Is Teflon".
Thanks for listening.