"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Washing chicken... for safety?

I had Food Network on today... and this show called "Ask Aida" was playing. I had never seen it before (don't care for it, personally). Anyways, there was a viewer question that asked if she was supposed to wash pieces of chicken before cooking or if the heat would kill the germs. ??? Then Aida says that to be safe, she washes her chicken. Why on earth would washing chicken make it safer? You still have to cook it to 160, no? Maybe I'm missing something... but her answer makes no sense to me. Why would washing a piece of raw meat get rid of germs? As far as I knew, the only way to prevent food borne illness was to thoroughly cook the food... The only thing I can see washing the chicken will accomplish is you splattering the bacteria all over the counter, etc....

Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Yeah, washing chicken is more likely to spread bacteria, IMO.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

You are correct crankin. The FDA warns against washing chicken for this very reason.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Head Chef

Yeah, I never wash my chicken
Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

if you have never washed chicken parts then maybe you've never seen some of the gunk that comes off of them or you've dealt with some really clean chicken pieces.....now we still might get sick from eating chicken after all but I guarantee you it is probably less due to the stuff that goes down the drain........yecch.......and I won't go into detail..............
Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

i wash my baby hens, then cook through. i'm almost certain i learned from julia child to rinse chix.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Head Chef

Interesting. I always washed chicken but now I am doubting if I should be doing this. Makes sense.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Master Chef

I used to wash chickens, always, and usually squeezed a little bottled lemon juice over them at the same time. But then I saw the FDA thing, and I've pretty much quit.
If I'm going to cook a whole chicken, it gets washed. But since it's just the two of us now, we generally just buy thighs (for me) and bone-in breasts (for DH). They're usually pretty clean to start with, and then I trim off extra skin and fat, leaving just enough to make it flavorful.

I had a friend in high school whose dad owned a grocery store, and she was expected to work there. One of her jobs was unpacking the chickens out of the big, heavy waxed boxes they came in so they could be weighed and bagged up with the store's own tag, and she hated it. Even in rubber gloves, her hands about froze, and she said the stink was enough to make you gag.

A good answer to the problem is to wash your sink out with dish soap and a little clorox after you wash the chicken. Pour a little clorox down the drain, too, and then rinse all with cold water.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I used to wash chickens, always, and usually squeezed a little bottled lemon juice over them at the same time. But then I saw the FDA thing, and I've pretty much quit.
If I'm going to cook a whole chicken, it gets washed. But since it's just the two of us now, we generally just buy thighs (for me) and bone-in breasts (for DH). They're usually pretty clean to start with, and then I trim off extra skin and fat, leaving just enough to make it flavorful.

I had a friend in high school whose dad owned a grocery store, and she was expected to work there. One of her jobs was unpacking the chickens out of the big, heavy waxed boxes they came in so they could be weighed and bagged up with the store's own tag, and she hated it. Even in rubber gloves, her hands about froze, and she said the stink was enough to make you gag.

A good answer to the problem is to wash your sink out with dish soap and a little clorox after you wash the chicken. Pour a little clorox down the drain, too, and then rinse all with cold water.
...and wash your handles, and your faucet, and your counters around and behind your sink, as it all splashes everywhere!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Master Chef

No way, never, this is one thing FDA got it right.