"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Bilby ~ you said your mother used to do the under the sink with ham? Ham is completely different than turkey. In our stores ham isn't even in coolers.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #62
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm just curious as to the differences - I sincerely want to know what the differences in handling are that you think makes raw poultry safer from one source than another.

btw, you're comparing apples to oranges when you compare ground beef (the cause of most cases of e. coli that I'm aware of) and whole poultry. But since we're doing that you may remember a couple of years ago a recall of organic spinach (among other leafy products) due to e. coli contamination: FDA Announces Findings from Investigation of Foodborne E. coli O157:H7 Outbreak in Spinach Many people think organic foods are safer, but that's not necessarily the case.

Sorry, I mistyped that. I meant to say half of all children died before their *fifth* birthday, and wouldn't you know, I can't find a reference for that. But I did find this: "(In 1850 almost half of all English children died before reaching their fifth birthday; Crowther, 1967)"

Do a page search for "fifth birthday": Science, civilization and society I'd guess the stats are similar for the U.S.

(emphasis added)

He's talking about cured ham, not raw poultry.
I added Alton's comments on PORK - to further cement the notion that the FDA and Mayo Clinic's tempuratures are way too hot. It was in repsonse to a post earlier about trusting the Mayo...

And you don't think using Spinach as an example isn't using an "apples to oranges" comparison?

Read the thread history here... again, my talk of Beef or any other meat type was in response to the Mayo and FDA temp recommendations.

Tell ya what - you go visit a Commercial Poultry processing plant - then visit a small poultry farm and you tell me the differnces in how the birds are handled.. :)

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
And you don't think using Spinach as an example isn't using an "apples to oranges" comparison?
Yeah, I do. That was the point
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #64
Head Chef

To the original post, I would not eat it period. I also would not be dining on leftovers from Thanksgiving as long as some folks on here seem to do. Just me.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
To the original post, I would not eat it period. I also would not be dining on leftovers from Thanksgiving as long as some folks on here seem to do. Just me.
If that was meant for me, Elaine, they're frozen.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #66
Executive Chef

6 hours at 68 degrees is deadly. Cooling it to 40 was an exercise in futility as far as microorganisms are concerned. Safe is above 140 or below 40.... Anything in between has a window of only 2 hours. Great that you didn't get sick....yet. A raw turkey that sat at room temperature for 6 hours is a bullet from a smoking gun.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
it's been 3 hours since I ate some...... wife is using me as a guinea pig - if I'm fine, then we'll feed the kids.. :P

Please don't give it to children. They usually don't have the capability to fight off food intoxications like adults can.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #68
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If that was meant for me, Elaine, they're frozen.
Wasn't meant for anyone in particular, just a general statement
Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Last edited by GB : Today at 02:16 PM.

Thanks for the fix GB!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #70
Chief Eating Officer

Any time my friend