"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Dry Coconut Curry

After all the curry chat yesterday, I was ready for some spice. I "think" I am supposed to post recipes here, and then put a link to "here" in the general discussion thread from yesterday. Forgive me if I am wrong about that.

This is a South Indian curry, that is supposed to serve 4, but around here it serves 2, with just enough left for someone's breakfast the next day.

Dry roast:
1 t black peppercorns
1 t coriander seeds
1 t cumin seeds
Add
1 t fenugreek
1 t whole cloves
and grind all into a powder. I generally don't roast most of the "sweet spices" because I can't perceive an improvement iin flavor from doing it, but you can is that is easier.

In a minichopper or blender combine the spice powder with
1/2 t turmeric
2 fresh chilis stemmed and seeded, serrano usually, but be flexible.
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
and grind to a paste. Set your curry paste aside.

Wilt 6 largish onions, sliced thin, in a skillet with about 2 T vegetable oil.
In about a minute (once the are soft enough to be easily manipulated in the skillet) add a pound of cubed meat. I like pork best; chicken is good too. Saute a few minutes to get a nice finish on the outside of the cubes, then mix in half of the curry paste you made and saute about until the meat is almost done. Dividing the paste gives "a more" and "a less" cooked depth to the flavor. Add the rest of the paste, along with

2 C chopped tomatoes
2 C shredded plain coconut (not the sweetened kind you use for baking!)

Simmer/fry about 3 minutes, then finish with
1/2 ground cardamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1 t vinegar
salt to taste.

Great with flat breads or rice.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Master Chef

That looks really delicious!!

Do you use fresh turmeric?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That looks really delicious!!

Do you use fresh turmeric?
Thanks! We like it. I use powdered turmeric; fresh is rarely available here.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Master Chef

Im going to put this on my "TRY" list.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Copied and pasted...I gotta make this!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

I like the DRY curry idea. I know about dry curries, but have never made one.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

My mom sends me fresh turmeric from a very wonderful Italian market in Chicago but I never know what to do with it.

Now I have a great idea!! It would go well into the paste.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Sounds amazing! I've got to try this! I love how everywhere I've gone, the mixture for the curry paste is a little different.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Try this one, cube to the same size, green plantain, unripe mango, pumpkin,carrot, jackfruit + green beans. Poach in water that has turmeric powder added(start the harder veg first) they must not be over cooked, drain and dry on k/paper

Blend fresh coconut and chilli's to a paste, heat a little oil in your wok and fry the paste, then add yoghurt, shredded curry leaves,coconut oil, cook for about 5 mins then add the veg and heat through. If you are serving this with Dosas leave it dry, if you want to serve it with rice add some of the veg cooking liquid to make a gravy.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
... but I never know what to do with it.

... .
You can also use it, fresh or dried, as an acid/base indicator. Turmeric turns red at about pH 8.4. Dissolve some in alcohol, soak some coffee filters in the solution, let them dry, fashion into a rose and spritz with ammonia (or the base of your choice). You'll be painting the roses red.

Tags
coconut, recipe

Dry Coconut Curry After all the curry chat yesterday, I was ready for some spice. I "think" I am supposed to post recipes here, and then put a link to "here" in the general discussion thread from yesterday. Forgive me if I am wrong about that. This is a South Indian curry, that is supposed to serve 4, but around here it serves 2, with just enough left for someone's breakfast the next day. Dry roast: 1 t black peppercorns 1 t coriander seeds 1 t cumin seeds Add 1 t fenugreek 1 t whole cloves and grind all into a powder. I generally don't roast most of the "sweet spices" because I can't perceive an improvement iin flavor from doing it, but you can is that is easier. In a minichopper or blender combine the spice powder with 1/2 t turmeric 2 fresh chilis stemmed and seeded, serrano usually, but be flexible. 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and grind to a paste. Set your curry paste aside. Wilt 6 largish onions, sliced thin, in a skillet with about 2 T vegetable oil. In about a minute (once the are soft enough to be easily manipulated in the skillet) add a pound of cubed meat. I like pork best; chicken is good too. Saute a few minutes to get a nice finish on the outside of the cubes, then mix in half of the curry paste you made and saute about until the meat is almost done. Dividing the paste gives "a more" and "a less" cooked depth to the flavor. Add the rest of the paste, along with 2 C chopped tomatoes 2 C shredded plain coconut (not the sweetened kind you use for baking!) Simmer/fry about 3 minutes, then finish with 1/2 ground cardamon pinch ground nutmeg 1 t vinegar salt to taste. Great with flat breads or rice. 3 stars 1 reviews