"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Help w/Gazpacho

I just made this the other day for a friend of mine that I cook for once or twice a week and I dont yet know how it turned it out, I will find out next week. Anyhow I was wondering if I needed to kick it up some...

We pureed in blender: red/yellow Peppers (2), cucumbers (2), bermuda onion, tomatoes (4 medium) garlic (2 cloves), salt/pepper. Used about a cup or more of olive oil and added maybe 4 oz of Tarragon white wine vinegar.

It didnt seem to have enough bite, so I added some Balsamic vinegar which darkened it some. Maybe about 3-4 oz. My friend said it still didnt seem to have enough kick, so I ask:

Should I just wait till it sits overnight and then see?
Add something like sour cream?
Add worcestshire sauce? something else? what about celery in this?

Again, I will find out next week how it turned out as I dont keep in touch with her everyday so maybe it turned out fine, but I was wondering what you all think.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I've never made it quite that way--I do use less olive oil and vinegar. Here is mine: 2 cups peeled, diced English cucumber; 2 cups diced red bell pepper; 2 cups diced ripe tomato; 1/2 cup diced red onion; 2 cloves minced garlic; 2 cups tomato juice; 1/2 cup red wine vinegar; 1/3 cup EV olive oil; 2 dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce. I put everything in a big bowl and mix it up with salt and pepper to my taste, then put half of it in the blender and puree it, dump it back in the bowl and stir it, then chill it for half a day or so. When I serve it I put some julienned basil leaves on top. My friends love this and so do I. Gazpacho is so healthy and good for you.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I would use red wine vinegar. I don't really have a recipe - just go by taste.

tomatoes
English cukes
red peppers
red onion
garlic
jalapeños
lemon or lime
sherry vinegar
olive oil
a bit of ground cumin

I run mine through my meat grinder as I prefer a bit chunky. To get the last of the veggies out I run a slice of bread through it - doesn't hurt the soup at all! When you first make it the vinegar will seem like too much. After it sets in fridge for a few hours it calms down.

I garnish with a bit of sour cream.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Worcestshire sauce would be a good addition. I also enjoy adding some jalapeno peppers for a little kick.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

Sherry vinegar is the most traditional, being a Spanish dish.

The problem might be the tomatoes you are using. If they are from the supermarket, they probably don't have a very robust flavor.

I usually use tomatoes from my garden, but I've actually made it with canned tomatoes before, too.

I also sometimes make it the very traditional way with bread. Gratuitous carbs, I know, but it's good that way.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Jenny - the bread through the meat grinder works out being a good way to get it in there!

I have used canned tomatoes with good results too - much better than under ripe grocery store tomatoes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
I just made this the other day for a friend of mine that I cook for once or twice a week and I dont yet know how it turned it out, I will find out next week. Anyhow I was wondering if I needed to kick it up some...

We pureed in blender: red/yellow Peppers (2), cucumbers (2), bermuda onion, tomatoes (4 medium) garlic (2 cloves), salt/pepper. Used about a cup or more of olive oil and added maybe 4 oz of Tarragon white wine vinegar.

It didnt seem to have enough bite, so I added some Balsamic vinegar which darkened it some. Maybe about 3-4 oz. My friend said it still didnt seem to have enough kick, so I ask:

Should I just wait till it sits overnight and then see?
Add something like sour cream?
Add worcestshire sauce? something else? what about celery in this?

Again, I will find out next week how it turned out as I dont keep in touch with her everyday so maybe it turned out fine, but I was wondering what you all think.
I think that's way too much olive oil; a quarter cup should be plenty. I would use red wine or sherry vinegar instead of white wine vinegar, and tarragon is not a traditional flavor for this soup. Sour cream or cream will just dilute the flavor even more (I've learned I don't like creamy tomato sauces because they mute the tomato flavor too much for my taste).

I think you've gotten some great advice - those are just a couple more comments. HTH.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm wondering if there aren't typos in this recipe, although we all make gazpacho differently. Instead of a cup of olive oil, perhaps it should have read 1 cup of tomato juice. 1 tablespoon or so of olive oil should be adequate.

If it seems okay otherwise, and you only want to spice it up, you've received some suggestions. A couple of mine would be Picante Sauce and Tabasco.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Sous Chef

hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. As for the recipe, we had gone to Borders and I quickly copied it from a basic cooking book.

I dont really know if I used one cup of olive oil. I was going mostly by feel adding it to the blender a little at a time and I supposed the tomatoes added a bit with their pulp. I would guess between 4 oz and 8 oz. of oil was used. I thought the Balsamic vinegar would sharpen the taste a bit but didnt seem to.

I didnt remember what type of vinegar was called for in the recipe but my friend had this lovely tarragon vinegar and I thoght it would make a nice compliment to the tomato. I think it was probably overpowered by the other stuff though. But again this soup had not yet settled overnight.

I did not want to add hot stuff as her husband does not like it and it was also goign to be served to other relatives and I was not sure of their palates. The original recipe did not call for it. I am not afraid to use garlc though and I added about 2 or 3 cloves.

ANyhow it will be fun to see next week how it turned out. I have a feeling it might have matured overnight. The ingredients were quite fresh althogh not totally sure about those tomatos. Good idea on those.

Tune in next week..
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Cook

Hi,

The most important thing for the Gazpacho is that you use very ripe tomatoes, that actually taste like tomato....I have tried making gazpacho sometimes with tomatoes that looked very nice but tasted like nothing at all....and it does not work. If you are not able to get nice tomatoes, maybe adding a spoon of concentrated tomato paste can work....

For 1 kg of tomatoes I use 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 green pepper and 1/2 cucumber. I also put a bit of onion and 2 garlic gloves.

Then I take about 50gr. of bread (with no crust) and dip it into vinegar. I add it to the gazpacho as well.

If it is too thick, I put in a few ice cubes

Tags
None