"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Making garlic salt

In the effort of saving a dime, I want to make my own spice blends. In making garlic salt, I looked at a few different websites. 1 site says the ratio is 4:1, the next says 3:1, etc., etc. Any advice? Thanks to all

Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I never use garlic salt as the ratio is fixed. I use garlic powder and add salt separately if needed. So pick the ratio that works best for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+1 Andy.

Also, many stores have garlic powder and garlic salt for 50 so I don't see any savings.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

I've just never understood using garlic salt, onion salt etc. Just keep the two separated as not everything you cook needs the same ratio.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

I also use garlic powder instead of garlic salt. I try to use as little salt as possible and tend to shy away from using it in my cooking and just add it to taste after it's cooked. Garlic powder allows me to adjust the garlic flavor without being too salty.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another salt-free garlic powder person here.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

I actually happen to love garlic salt. I buy a big container from Sam's club it ususaly last me a long time. I don't think you can get it any cheapper than that.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I dehydrate garlic and then grind it in my spice grinder to make garlic powder. I don't mix it with salt--I add salt if necessary to the dish. I got some really nice smoked garlic at a garlic festival in August--it made lovely garlic powder once I dehydrated it. Also, I would not recommend using garlic from China for anything (definitely not for garlic powder). If you wanted to know why garlic from China is so white...

Garlic Production Observations in China
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I dehydrate garlic and then grind it in my spice grinder to make garlic powder. I don't mix it with salt--I add salt if necessary to the dish. I got some really nice smoked garlic at a garlic festival in August--it made lovely garlic powder once I dehydrated it. Also, I would not recommend using garlic from China for anything (definitely not for garlic powder). If you wanted to know why garlic from China is so white...
Garlic Production Observations in China
Thanks for the Cina info. If you look at the spice containers that say garlic, onion or any other one with salt as the last word, then read the ingredients, you will see that salt is the first ingredient. The ingredients are listed in the order as the most, then down to the lesser amounts. If you were to do a small taste test, you would taste mainly salt. Not the spice or herb it is mixed with.

If you are making a marinara sauce and read all the labele, you would have salt from the onion salt, salt from the garlic salt, salt from the celery salt, salt that is in the tomatoes, salt in the tomato paste, etc. Then you add your own salt. That is a lot of salt.

Sorry, I will add my own salt. And I try to buy salt free can goods when they are available.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

More research on Chinese garlic...The FDA has reports on the amounts rejected at the port of entry because of various reasons: insect matter, mold, etc. If you break open a head of garlic (the white stuff from China) and it is brown in the middle, the chances are that the garlic has been irradiated. I like roots still on my heads of garlic and if it sprouts or has green in the middle of the clove, that tells me it wasn't irradiated. I know the garlic grown in China is less expensive, but really, do we need to buy garlic from that far away???? And, the dehydrated, powdered garlic from China--well that is known to contain lead, arsenic, and other chemicals.

Tags
None