"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
My Aerogarden works pretty well. Not perfect, but I'm not the least bit dissatisfied with it.

My dill went rampant in it and had to constantly be trimmed to avoid it from being burnt on the bulbs. It's a pretty "sparse" plant so it didn't really do much blocking of light, it just grew huge really fast.

Basil seems to do the same thing in it.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Reviving a dead thread cause I just now saw it (and have been away for some months).

I still have mine, and it's still performing as I see fit. Presently it's growing chives, sage, and rosemary. My Macgyver-ing trick with the pods worked, so I just make my own pods now. I still maintain it wasn't the best purchase I ever made, but I have fresh herbs whenever I want them as I need them for the seasons.

Oh, *points to post above* HAH! I TOLD you guys dill would take over.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #33
Head Chef

I just got one of these systems yesterday, so Im very curious if it will work as well as i hope. I also got my first seed catalogue yesterday too so I get to start planning next years outdoor garden too !!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Reviving a dead thread cause I just now saw it (and have been away for some months).

I still have mine, and it's still performing as I see fit. Presently it's growing chives, sage, and rosemary. My Macgyver-ing trick with the pods worked, so I just make my own pods now. I still maintain it wasn't the best purchase I ever made, but I have fresh herbs whenever I want them as I need them for the seasons.

Oh, *points to post above* HAH! I TOLD you guys dill would take over.
Oh, please tell me how you make your own pods the ones you buy are pricy for what you get. What do you feed your plants?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I just got one of these systems yesterday, so Im very curious if it will work as well as i hope. I also got my first seed catalogue yesterday too so I get to start planning next years outdoor garden too !!
They work fantastic you will be very pleased.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Oh, please tell me how you make your own pods the ones you buy are pricy for what you get. What do you feed your plants?
This is going to sound weird, but I used (use) foam hair curlers as replacement sponges. Couple that with some Miracle Grow and life is good.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
This is going to sound weird, but I used (use) foam hair curlers as replacement sponges. Couple that with some Miracle Grow and life is good.
What a great idea. Do you stuff the foam in the plastic pods and where are you adding the Miracle Grow in the foam or in the water. Are you using powdered or liquid Miracle Grow and how much. I want to make sure I get it right
Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol, i guess you like to grow curly parsley and hairy vetch, huh poppin?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #39
Master Chef

Well - hubby gifted me with the "Deluxe" model for Xmas, so guess I'll be "Aerogardening" after all. How I keep the darn thing from becoming a kitty spa/salad bar should be interesting.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #40
Head Chef

I just started mine up 2 days ago. The lettuce is already sprouting. I am keeping in a locked room so my 5 cats dont disturb/ eat it .