"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
Head Chef

Garden Season has finally arrived (for me)

Im excited.

Got a batch of seeds last week from my mail order, and my first batch of plants also arrived ( cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower).
Onions should arrive at the end of the month, and the local farm store should have potatoes available in a few weeks too.

Ive spent the winter thinking about what I did wrong last year, and how I can improve upon it this year.

Of course, the day I get my plants is the day before i was going away for a few days. The weather is a little unpredictable still here in New York, so Im hesitant to get anything directly in the ground. I planted the plants in 4 inch starter pots, just to give them room to breath for a week or two, until i feel comfortable enough that the weather won't kill them.

Just about everything is in raised beds or pots for me, due to voles, moles and other rodents. turned out to be a decent defense for me ( one of the things I've been tweaking over the years).

Last year I was smart enough to create a nice spread sheet as to when I planted, when I fertilized and when I harvested each edible thing in my yard. its nice to have something like that to fall back on. Makes tweaking that much easier having my own personal guide (wish I was doing it for the past 20 years, but better late than never).

My weakness is, If a plant pops up because it reseeded itself from the previous year (usually tomatoes), I tend to let it do its thing instead of removing it to keep ideal growing conditions for the other plants. Also, If I see an unusual plant or variety that I've never tried before,I get it. Doesn't matter if i have the room or not, I just get and deal with it.

Anyway, Im just excited and had to tell someone ( or everyone).

Here's to a great gardening year for anyone who gardens, and may the varmints move on to my neighbors yard and leave me a plentiful harvest!

Cheers,

larry

Old 03-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Today is the best day we've had for ages. Mrs. L has planted tomatos in small pots and they're just about ready to 'pot on'. We've still got a good crop of leeks - planted last year - but we will soon need the space for this year's potatoes. Need lots of leek recipes ! There's just so much to do and we're having a holiday after easter for a few weeks. Have to get things started and hopefully our son will tend things while we're on vacation.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I just tilled my garden last weekend. Today I'm off for supplies. I will do a soil test asap. Wish I realized how important this was 30 gardens or so ago.
We don't plant cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower in the spring. These are a fall crop for us.
I have been using those round "cage like", cone shaped, things for tomato plants, but this year we are trying something new.
Metal fence posts with a galvanized wire stretched down the center of the row to tie our plants to. I have a few turnbuckles left from a project years ago. Very glad i saved them.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Head Chef

Larry, I plant outside in gardens and raised beds and when I get a volunteer tomato or pepper, I also let them do their thing.

Capt, when the leeks come up the second year they send up a seed stalk. If you use most of them but let one go to seed, you can collect the seeds to plant next year. Onions will do that on their second year too.

I planted 3 flats of onion from seed for big bulbing onions this year. The covered raised bed, my lettuce garden, gets volunteer tomatoes and peppers among the herbs and all kinds of greens and lettuce (planting now). I'll be starting our peppers and tomatoes from seed in flats in the next weeks. We are 2 and 1/2 months from planting at the end of May up here in Wisconsin. This will be a big year for tomatoes, peppers, and beans. The lettuce garden grows best in the cooler spring days and then another crop of lettuce and greens from scratch starting the end of July until November.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

I envy those of you who have lots of land to garden, and looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor!

My patio container tomato plants are about 7 inches tall right now, and just about as wide as they are tall. They're loaded with blossoms, and I've also got spinach and green onions coming up. The rosebushes are blooming, trees are budding out, and the desert floor is green and starting to get wildflowers. I love spring - even though it's technically still winter.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Well I'm excited that Larry's excited. I hope we see a few photos early and mid season. I remember looking at your harvest pix and raised beds last fall.

Like Blissful, we won't be planting out until mid May. However, there is a lot of prep to get ready for garden season. So much to look forward to. I'm going to plant tomatoes in pots this year with tall cages That seemed to work pretty good.

Not much snow this winter, even if I grumbled a bit. As soon as what little we had melted, the ground is really very dry. A little spring rain would help and also green things up everywhere.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
Head Chef

Yeah, Im in prep mode now.
The yard looks like a disaster ( garden included)
Ill take pics at every important stage to show the progress.
Right now, Im just in the " get everything ready to get the potatoes, and other early vegetables in" mode.
Ive had a branch hanging over my garden for years. Finally having it removed. (Tree guy is coming for an estimate this week).
Majority of the garden doesn't kick in til May. Im always trying to sneak a few weeks in early on, but Mother Nature rarely has the same idea in mind.
So I just have to have a lot of patience, and just get things ready for the big day.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Roll bones - I have about 50 tomato plants each year. the best thing I have found is 5' concrete wire. Cut it 48-60 inches long and zip tie it together. Just sit it over the plant and its done. Works great and lasts.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We started our garden a couple of weeks ago, by starting seeds in the temporary greenhouse DH built last fall. He started peas and about a week ago we started multicolored bush beans, squash and gourds. He wants to buy cucumber, tomato and pepper plants this year and since I always forget to water seedlings, we'll do it his way Hopefully we'll get volunteer tomatillos like we did last year. He also wants to do a potato box.

Our last average frost date is April 15, so plants can go in the ground on or after that.

Our spinach survived the winter, but I keep forgetting to pick it I should get some more lettuce while it's still cool enough to grow it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458054260021.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	24437   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458054375286.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1458054392613.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	24440   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458054408079.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	24441  

Old 03-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
the Of course, the day I get my plants is the day before i was going away for a few days. The weather is a little unpredictable still here in New York, so Im hesitant to get anything directly in the ground. I planted the plants in 4 inch starter pots, just to give them room to breath for a week or two, until i feel comfortable enough that the weather won't kill them.
Larry, you can find the last average frost date for your area here: http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/weather/sprfrost.html

Plant a week later than the LAFD and you should be safe.