Gardening: herbs and their flowers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I've got a moderately sized herb garden and it's doing quite well for itself. I'm concerned about their flowering. I don't know if it's possible to stop the flowering, and I've tried! I wonder if it detracts from the flavors of the herbs. What is the best way to tend to my herb garden? Also, are the flowers desirable for adding in addition to herbs when I cook?

It depends on what you are growing. You can give your chives a "hair cut" to prolong the season. I pinch the buds off the oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme. I also make sure I use my French tarragon so it doesn't bloom, ditto with the rosemary. I let my lavender and dill flower...

I've currently got cilantro, thyme and sage budding. Everytime I turn around they try to eek out more flowers.

I've used the blossoms in salads, chive blossoms in potato salad, etc. I usually pick them off the plants. Seems to let them last longer. Anything bolting decreases the flavor, but you should still be able to use them. Just won't be as flavorful.

I have a potful of mint trying to quit on me -- going into flower. Any use for the flowers, or if I snip them off, will the mint be rejuvenated? Should I cut the stems off short and then give it time to come back?

tinlizzie said:
I have a potful of mint trying to quit on me -- going into flower. Any use for the flowers, or if I snip them off, will the mint be rejuvenated? Should I cut the stems off short and then give it time to come back?

Taste the flowers, use them if they are minty. You can do either of the above, mint is indestructible. I chop mine back halfway.

Back
Top Bottom