Garlic Scapes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a friend in Tacoma that was retired. He loved growing his own food. So much so that he signed up for a Master Gardener course. One of their last requirements was to find a person who wanted to grow his own garden, but it had to be pesticide free. My friend spent the whole planting and growing season with this person. At the end, the instructor went to see it with the rest of the class. And the person whose garden it was signed up for the next class of Master Gardener. It was determined by the whole class and their instructor, that this particular garden was the best one that had been guided by a student. He passed with flying colors.

They do get a thorough education to becoming a "Master Gardener." :angel:

I had a friend in Tacoma that was retired. He loved growing his own food. So much so that he signed up for a Master Gardener course. One of their last requirements was to find a person who wanted to grow his own garden, but it had to be pesticide free. My friend spent the whole planting and growing season with this person. At the end, the instructor went to see it with the rest of the class. And the person whose garden it was signed up for the next class of Master Gardener. It was determined by the whole class and their instructor, that this particular garden was the best one that had been guided by a student. He passed with flying colors.

They do get a thorough education to becoming a "Master Gardener." :angel:

I know Addie won't see this because she's ignoring me, but this does not sound likely. The extension service teaches people to use pesticides carefully and responsibly, and only as necessary. It's known as Integrated Pest Management. Also, that sound like an excessive number of volunteer hours to expect of an intern (a student in their first year of training).

Last edited:
My knowledge is specific to zone 8 ;) Here's info from Wyoming's extension service. Looks like it's a fall-planting crop, even there. You can plant it in containers, since it doesn't grow very deep.

General: Gardening | Resources | Barnyards & Backyards | University of Wyoming

Garlic (PDF): Garlic puts fall gusto in your garden, summer zest in kitchen

My garlic knowledge is specific to zones 4-5. Joy's Garlic

Thank you, Ladies!

I recently took care of a Master Gardener...he was thrilled to help us with our garden questions.

Next summer we are getting a vegetable garden going over at Mom's, I want to grow our own garlic. Any tips?

This company is where I first bought my garlic after moving to NM.

Absmeier High Altitude Garlic Farm, Selling Seed and Food Garlic

Since I left Ohio in late December I was not able to bring any plants or bulbs with me.

Obviously they don't have their 2016 harvest in yet so have nothing for sale. Look under the Extras tab for growing and harvesting information. Garlic is planted from late September to early November around here.

I've been buying scapes the last few weeks at the farm market. A couple of things I've made that have turned out good were a szechuan stir fry with scapes, and creamy soup with scapes and ramps.

img_1471685_0_65f945337f616417429cb79f5afc8527.jpg

img_1471685_1_22450f4c33842a5ad6929f235f032895.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delightful and delicious! thanks for sharing the pictures!

Thanks Beth!

Our Farmer's Markets have not even started...July 21st is the big one. Corn is only about 1-2 feet high at this time.

Mom's blackberry bushes are coming along, can't wait.

Question. Are garlic sprouts the same as scapes? We just bought some sprouts at an Asian market and I have only found two recipes that use them. I see that there are recipes for "shoots" as well. These have a small white bulb (football shaped) with green stalks about 15" long.

Question. Are garlic sprouts the same as scapes? We just bought some sprouts at an Asian market and I have only found two recipes that use them. I see that there are recipes for "shoots" as well. These have a small white bulb (football shaped) with green stalks about 15" long.

They are not the same but they probably taste similar. Sprouts/leaves/shoots come off the bulb as soon as the ground warms up, in March or April, that is the beginning when the clove sends up the sprout/shoots, and the bulb begins to form. Then in June, once there are many sprouted leaves coming up, the garlic may be a foot tall by then, in the middle, a round sprout comes up (not a leaf), that is the scape. It is the stem that holds the flower of the garlic. A leaf will be flat while a scape will be a tube that is not hollow. I hope that helps.

They are not the same but they probably taste similar. Sprouts/leaves/shoots come off the bulb as soon as the ground warms up, in March or April, that is the beginning when the clove sends up the sprout/shoots, and the bulb begins to form. Then in June, once there are many sprouted leaves coming up, the garlic may be a foot tall by then, in the middle, a round sprout comes up (not a leaf), that is the scape. It is the stem that holds the flower of the garlic. A leaf will be flat while a scape will be a tube that is not hollow. I hope that helps.

Thanks Blissful, the "stalk" is solid. Reminds me of a mung bean. I think I will try one of the stir fry recipes I found.

Thanks Blissful, the "stalk" is solid. Reminds me of a mung bean. I think I will try one of the stir fry recipes I found.
You got it. Sounds like the stalk is the scape. I hope your stir fry is enjoyable! How fun to find those in the market right now.

It's scape season for garlic here in WI. I made up some pesto of scapes (removed the flower portion, basil tops (just planted basil), lemon, salt, olive oil, water, walnuts, in the food processor. Froze small jars of it for the future. Served over zucchini cooked, and raw chopped tomatoes. Get scapes while you can.

It's scape season for garlic here in WI. I made up some pesto of scapes (removed the flower portion, basil tops (just planted basil), lemon, salt, olive oil, water, walnuts, in the food processor. Froze small jars of it for the future. Served over zucchini cooked, and raw chopped tomatoes. Get scapes while you can.

We're on the same page.
Just picked a bunch of scapes today.
Not sure what Im going to do with them, but looking forward to cooking them up.

We're on the same page.
Just picked a bunch of scapes today.
Not sure what Im going to do with them, but looking forward to cooking them up.
I'm pretty sure we are in closely the same zone, not just the same page, but possibly the same book too.:LOL:
Someone mentioned cream of asparagus soup with cooked chopped scape stems on top with a little sour cream.
You could add them to a pasta primavera too.
DH calls them 'scrapes', lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom