"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
They are not the same but they probably taste similar. Sprouts/leaves/shoots come off the bulb as soon as the ground warms up, in March or April, that is the beginning when the clove sends up the sprout/shoots, and the bulb begins to form. Then in June, once there are many sprouted leaves coming up, the garlic may be a foot tall by then, in the middle, a round sprout comes up (not a leaf), that is the scape. It is the stem that holds the flower of the garlic. A leaf will be flat while a scape will be a tube that is not hollow. I hope that helps.
Thanks Blissful, the "stalk" is solid. Reminds me of a mung bean. I think I will try one of the stir fry recipes I found.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Thanks Blissful, the "stalk" is solid. Reminds me of a mung bean. I think I will try one of the stir fry recipes I found.
You got it. Sounds like the stalk is the scape. I hope your stir fry is enjoyable! How fun to find those in the market right now.

Tags
garlic