HELP! Something's Happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
IMG_3350.jpg

As some may know, I started a small Patio Pot Garden this year.
This is the first time that I've attempted to grow vegetables
in a long time.

002.jpg
003.JPG

A few weeks ago, something started to attack my Cucumber plant

004.JPG

As well as my Bell Pepper plant.
My Mother suggested spraying them with a solution of water and mild dish soap.

As you can see, it's not helping.
I down't want to use any chemicals on them,
what can I do?
HELP!!

I found a homemade spray online that worked for my pumpkin plants.
1T of baking soda
1T of veg oil
1T of dishwashing liquid
1 gallon of water

Spray in the evening or early morning once per week.

A log of times, I simply let it go, and watch carefully. Often they heal themselves.

If they don't improve, I have a nursery with knowledgeable plant people, and I bring them a leaf or branch, and they almost always know what it is, because they have seen it hundreds of times.

CD

I suggest you contact your local Cooperative Extension office. They have volunteer master gardeners who are familiar with the pests in your area and how to deal with them. We practice integrated pest management, which means emphasizing cultural methods of preventing pest damage, unless there is no other choice. You can find your local office here: https://delange.org/United_States_C...ates_Cooperative_Extension_Offices_Finder.htm

Btw, soap is a chemical ;)

Last edited:
I suggest you contact your local Cooperative Extension office. They have volunteer master gardeners who are familiar with the pests in your area and how to deal with them. We practice integrated pest management, which means emphasizing cultural methods of preventing pest damage, unless there is no other choice. You can find your local office here: https://delange.org/United_States_C...ates_Cooperative_Extension_Offices_Finder.htm

Btw, soap is a chemical ;)

Yes I am aware. It is still not as harsh as chemical sprays and won't make you sick when eating the fruit later. Was giving her an option.

Yes I am aware. It is still not as harsh as chemical sprays and won't make you sick when eating the fruit later. Was giving her an option.
I don't know what you mean by harsh. Insecticides formulated for use on vegetables are not harmful to people. She said she had already tried a soap spray, which can work with some pests, but it didn't help.

Since you were here last, I've become a master gardener, trained by my local university Cooperative Extension office in basic botany, entomology and other gardening topics, as described in the page I linked above. There is a lot of misinformation out there about garden chemicals. But the thing is, the problem needs to be identified before a control method is chosen. That's why I suggested contacting experts local to her area.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by harsh. Insecticides formulated for use on vegetables are not harmful to people. She said she had already tried a soap spray, which can work with some pests, but it didn't help.

Since you were here last, I've become a master gardener, trained by my local university Cooperative Extension office in basic botany, entomology and other gardening topics, as described in the page I linked above. There is a lot of misinformation out there about garden chemicals. But the thing is, the problem needs to be identified before a control method is chosen. That's why I suggested contacting experts local to her area.

Congrats!
Experts will always know the best option. Wish I had someone nearby myself. The spray I mentioned was just an option, had a pumpkin plant that looked the same. All I had at the time was that spray I found online and it helped. Hopefully she can find someone nearby to help her.

Thanks all!
I've sent out an email with photos to our location extension,
they're out of the UoA down south so I await their advice.
But in the mean time, if anyone could give me any other thoughts
as to what could be the problem with just these two plants.
The other pots are doing just fine, I guess they just don't taste as good to whatever is munching my Pepper and Cuc.

Thanks all!
I've sent out an email with photos to our location extension,
they're out of the UoA down south so I await their advice.
But in the mean time, if anyone could give me any other thoughts
as to what could be the problem with just these two plants.
The other pots are doing just fine, I guess they just don't taste as good to whatever is munching my Pepper and Cuc.
I would separate the affected plants from the others, if you can. If it's a beetle, which is possible, it carries viruses that can kill the plants and they can move from one to another. I would also remove the affected leaves and put mulch down in the pots. Some plant diseases get splashed up from the soil to the lower leaves during rain or watering. Mulch helps to prevent that. It also hangs on to moisture, which is important in your desert climate.

The state Cooperative Extension is based in the land-grant university, but there are local offices in just about every city and county in the country. I don't know which city you are close to, but I'm confident there's one nearby.

Last edited:
Our Landscape project got on it's way early this morning and I had a chance to talk with their Master Gardener. He tells me that the plants look like they got "fried" by this excessive heat wave that we're having (next week is suppose to be better). He said they look quite healthy, but for insurance, he said to take some of the Tomato plant leaves, dry them out really well and make a "tea" with them. Spray that on any plants that I feel are in danger of a bug infestation. That makes perfect sense to me!
Still waiting on the County Ag Extension to reply.

Our Landscape project got on it's way early this morning and I had a chance to talk with their Master Gardener. He tells me that the plants look like they got "fried" by this excessive heat wave that we're having (next week is suppose to be better). He said they look quite healthy, but for insurance, he said to take some of the Tomato plant leaves, dry them out really well and make a "tea" with them. Spray that on any plants that I feel are in danger of a bug infestation. That makes perfect sense to me!
Still waiting on the County Ag Extension to reply.

A Master Gardener is a specific designation for someone who works under the supervision of an extension agent. A landscape employee may or may not be a Master Gardener.

If the problem is a disease or mold, making a tea with it will just spread it around. You had said they were chewed up. That doesn't happen from high heat. But do keep them well watered. Plants in containers dry out faster than those in the ground, even when you're not in the desert.

K'girl, I've asked in a Facebook group of horticulture professors who help with garden problems like this. They have a question: Have you seen any tiny insects on the plants? As Cheryl said, sometimes they hide under the leaves. They suck on plant juices and cause that stippling effect on the leaves. If so, pyrethrin (approved for organic farming, btw) would take care of them. They can carry diseases that infect the plants, so it's important to get rid of them. As long as you don't drink pyrethrin, it won't have any effects in people. Just use it according to the label instructions (Pyrethrins).

They agree with my suggestion to add mulch.

They concur that your plants are probably not getting enough moisture. Mulch will help, and you should probably water them every day, unless it rains on them. It's monsoon season there now, right?

I swear by Pyola (a mix of pyrithrins and canola oil, made into a spray). It works for almost any bug, including mealies, aphids, mites, rose slugs, sawflies, and Japanese beetles. I get it from Gardens Alive. For years they sent me a catalog with a $25 coupon no purchase necessary, and for years I got free Pyola! Always felt kind of bad, but now I have a nice stockpile of Pyola concentrate. They've since quit the no purchase clause, but their catalog does give a $25 coupon to be used with a purchase.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom