Homemade mini greenhouses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
So I have sage sprouting in a little clear plastic container I've placed outside. This gave me the idea that perhaps I could have my husband build a mini greenhouse.

I live in an apartment complex. We each have a flower bed and a back patio. Stray cats keep urinating in the flower bed. It's right next to my front door, so as you can imagine it doesn't smell good. :ermm: I tried planting sunflower seeds out there but the cats killed them.

So I thought maybe my Dh could build me a small box I can have him put a clear top on to grow something in.

What kinds of veggies and fruits are good in a greenhouse? Is there a minimum height it should be for growing room?

I've also thought about buying a small greenhouse for the back patio. Something like this.

51VPiYukygL.jpg

I'm not the flower type of girl. I like to look at them, but veggies and fruits would be much more useful.

So I have sage sprouting in a little clear plastic container I've placed outside. This gave me the idea that perhaps I could have my husband build a mini greenhouse.

I live in an apartment complex. We each have a flower bed and a back patio. Stray cats keep urinating in the flower bed. It's right next to my front door, so as you can imagine it doesn't smell good. :ermm: I tried planting sunflower seeds out there but the cats killed them.

So I thought maybe my Dh could build me a small box I can have him put a clear top on to grow something in.

What kinds of veggies and fruits are good in a greenhouse? Is there a minimum height it should be for growing room?

I've also thought about buying a small greenhouse for the back patio. Something like this.

I'm not the flower type of girl. I like to look at them, but veggies and fruits would be much more useful.

Oh dear. In summer heat, any type of small greenhouse will steam the heck out of anything. Big greenhouses use all sorts of fans and cooling stuff. Anyway, if you can have a couple big pots of herbs, like 15 inches or bigger, outside, it would be much easier to water and care for.

Little greenhouses are great for getting a headstart on seedlings in the winter, but right now in Ohio, I would use boxes and big pots to grow what you want, and if you can grow directly in a garden plot, even better.

Last edited:
Oh dear. In summer heat, any type of small greenhouse will steam the heck out of anything. Big greenhouses use all sorts of fans and cooling stuff. Anyway, if you can have a couple big pots of herbs, like 15 inches or bigger, outside, it would be much easier to water and care for.

Little greenhouses are great for getting a headstart on seedlings in the winter, but right now in Ohio, I would use boxes and big pots to grow what you want, and if you can grow directly in a garden plot, even better.

Well I can open it up for air, but my main point is I need to keep cats out. Just putting up a small fence does not work. I don't have an area for a plot. I can grow in containers and that one flowerbed area which isn't very big. Just a guess-timate, but it's maybe 4ft long and 3 ft wide.

There are some cool plastic mat things that drive cats crazy, they're like strips of shag carpet made from hard plastic. I would still be hesitant to keep my plants in a little greenhouse. Another thought would be some bird netting? Our neighbors let their cats roam all over, I haven't seen them damaging any plants yet.

Last edited:
Try sprinkling your garden with cayenne pepper--the cheapest you can find. I have also heard that cats despise citrus, so some orange or lemon essential oil might work too. Mix it with some water and a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle. Smells a lot better than cat pee.

Those small green houses are nice to have around for starting out seeds.
Once they start growing they're going to have be replanted. They're also great for taking cutting from indoor plants to start newer plants. If you have a good location Poinsettias keep well in them.

I see the problem with cats. They like dogs don't like the smell of vinegar. Diluting some with water and spraying the area might help. Can you get a dog, one that yapps alot? Stake em' out on your spot...:LOL: Don't forget to feed water and shelter it..

4'x3' You could grow a few tomato plants. Green beans. They can be staked to grow up. Onions, garlic would do well. Here let Burpee be your guide. They usually have some great ideas that would probably be of more help to you than I can. Burpee Seeds and Plants - Home Garden, Vegetable Seeds, Annual Flowers at Burpee.com

Back
Top Bottom