ISO Indoor Tomato Variety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I've long procrastinated expanding my little aquaponic system to include tomatoes.
  • I'm looking for a variety that will produce, on average, a couple of tomatoes per day indoors under artificial light.
  • The system is stable at about 7.2 pH.
  • Flavor is the primary interest.
  • Fruit size doesn't matter much. Smallish might be better if light requirements are a little lower.
  • More compact plants might be better suited to my space and lighting limitations.
  • I'm open to either determinate or indeterminate varieties. Long-lasting and producing plants seem nice but I'm ok with the prospect of starting anew every 2 - 4 weeks.
  • An indeterminate variety might be housed in a 5-gallon bucket. If possible, indeterminate plants would be grown in large plastic coffee ground containers.

Can anyone suggest a variety that fits some or all of these constraints and objectives?

Does anyone have any experience to share growing tomatoes indoors, whether in pots, aquaponic, or hydroponics?

I haven't tried cherry tomatoes in my AeroGarden, but I understand they do quite well. Their website has some useful information on pruning, temperatures, etc., which will probably apply to other indoor growing systems.

https://www.aerogarden.com/

I tried cherry tomatoes in outdoor pots, but all I did was feed the &*%#$ chipmunks, so I gave up.

this site has info
Indoor tomato varieties: which tomatoes grow best indoors?

our daughter uses an Aerogarden - her current crop:
IMG_0105.jpg

Tiny Tims Arrive Tomorrow

Ordered a packet of Tiny Tim Seeds from Amazon this morning. Would like to end up with two or three varieties but this should be a good start. Will try using the plastic coffee can strategy starting new seeds every 30 days. Need to get a little quick plumbing done so they are continuously fed fresh water from the fish tank. So maybe by late August I'll be enjoying home-grown tomatoes. :clap:
I'm sorry, I have no idea. But, I'm interested in seeing what answers you do get.
In case you're interested, I also tapped Backyard Aquaponics and Reddit/aquaponics for advice.

I'm amazed by how popular Aerogarden systems are based on DC members
and Amazon comments.

Ordered a packet of Tiny Tim Seeds from Amazon this morning. Would like to end up with two or three varieties but this should be a good start. Will try using the plastic coffee can strategy starting new seeds every 30 days. Need to get a little quick plumbing done so they are continuously fed fresh water from the fish tank. So maybe by late August I'll be enjoying home-grown tomatoes. :clap:

In case you're interested, I also tapped Backyard Aquaponics and Reddit/aquaponics for advice.

I'm amazed by how popular Aerogarden systems are based on DC members
and Amazon comments.

Thanks, I joined that subreddit. It was the easy one - I'm already on Reddit. Not interested in tomatoes because the hubster doesn't like them and if I eat more than a couple of slices of raw tomato or any cooked tomato, it makes my arthritis worse.

Thanks, I joined that subreddit. It was the easy one - I'm already on Reddit. Not interested in tomatoes because the hubster doesn't like them and if I eat more than a couple of slices of raw tomato or any cooked tomato, it makes my arthritis worse.

Okay.

If you were kin and looking to start a system, I'd say you should expect much more reliable advice from Backyard Aquaponics.

"More reliable?"

More reliable?

So, I'm uncertain how or whether to reply.
I just mean the standard sense of the word.
re·li·a·ble
/rəˈlīəb(ə)l/
adjective
consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted.
"a reliable source of information"
synonyms: dependable, good, well founded, well grounded, authentic, definitive, attested, valid, genuine, from the horse's mouth, sound, true;
I'll cite three threads as examples; not for the quality of my questions or comments, but for the quality of replies from other members, especially scotty435 and Mr Damage:
  1. Hi Folks
  2. Bell Siphon Cycle Time
  3. Skilletlicker's 20 Gallon System
This is just one old man's opinion. It isn't a reflection on Reddit or any other forum and your experience might be different. You haven't said where your interests lie, after all.

taxy, I saw a sleep shirt this week that might work for you. It said "I apologize for anything I said while sleepy". I almost bought it for myself. [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom