"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Smile My Garden Today

Ok... so my garden today! The nice thing about a container garden is that you can move it to the sun!

Right now they are in the driveway to the dr office next door. He let's us use his driveway whenever he's not open.

Everything catching some rays in the driveway:

The dahlias I planted today:

Broccoli... I'll transplants the smaller ones during the week... I ran out of dirt and am trying really hard not to drive my car on weekends.

Grape Tomato... I have to find out what's making the bottom leaves yellow & unhappy! Strawberries in the background

Yellow Pear Tomato

Herbs with violas in the background... oregano, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, chives

Cucumbers

Poblano Pepper

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Mystery Plant - it was labeled asparagus... but it's definitely not... it might artichoke... I'll keep watering it and see what it turns into!

The sprouted pots are garlic & the other two pots will hopefully be tomatillos... but at this point, it's not looking good.

Barrel in the front:

My Crack Flowers... offspring of the barrel!

The only hens & chicks I didn't drown over the winter!

When they are done sunbathing... the plants live between our bike rack and those white pipes... but right now, that just gets late afternoon sun. So whenever I can, I drag them to the driveway.

We started with mostly flowers and hot peppers... but I'm adding more and more veggies... I have some spinach to plant... and I'll still put in a few more... it depends on what will do ok in container.
What kinda stuff do you grow?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Mystery plant looks like artichoke to me. Ive grown them before, both from seed and from store bought plants. Unfortunately, i never had much luck . I got a few golfball sized buds and that was it. Hope you have better luck than i do. I got a little ahead of myself last week, got the peppers and eggplants in the garden, just to get a late frost which wiped them all out.

larry
Old 05-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook

ohhh... that stinks!
Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

Sunflowers, houseplants and annual flowers here. I just planted a mixed flower packet of seeds about 10 minutes ago. I didn't plant any sunflowers this year...they planted themselves.

I tried container gardening with some herbs a few years ago (from seeds) and non of them really took off at all.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Head Chef

Your garden is looking great, spryte! I bet the plants are beautiful next to your house when they are all grown up!

Lee
Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Senior Cook

It does take the edge off the hard gray city!
Old 05-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Your mystery plant may also be cardoons, which you cook as greens.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Sous Chef

>> Grape Tomato... I have to find out what's making the bottom leaves yellow & unhappy<<

Yet the other tomato looks fine, you have done well really, all healthy looking plants.

Sometimes acidic?? soil can turn the leaves yellow so you could sprinkle a little Epsom salts and or dolomite around the plant -- but, you had best get another opinion first, I wouldn't want to kill it.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Senior Cook

The other tomato was just planted today... the grape tomato has been in for a couple of weeks. I 'think' it might be too wet... it's not getting a lot of sun yet... so hopefully extra sun will help.