"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #51
Cupcake

Oh, I'm sure I will find worms and grubs. I've braced myself. Since it is part of a community garden, I'm nearly positive that it will have been worked before. Frank got me a small cultivator for my flower beds at Christmas. Between that and an old potato fork that I was gifted, I think I will be set!

Has anyone ever used one of those triangular "winged" hoes? I've seen them called scuffle hoes as well. If so, are they as good as they sound?

Kathleen

Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #52
Head Chef

HURRAY for me! My farmer friend will sell me as many truckloads of well aged manure as I want for $40 a load! But the real good thing is the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included; and he lives 25 miles away!

I have heavy clay soil and am using raised beds 8 by 16 feet each. He sells me his old hay for mulch for $1 a bale [the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included].

I will plant all the usual suspects and a few fruit trees!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Be careful with the manure--there's high nitrogen content in it. You may end up with "stinging nettles" (which, btw, we did try to eat in the spring one year--reminded us of the taste of manure--now we just pull/kill them--the dogs ate them, but not willingly--but then, only the Saints love veggies--the GSDs are picky).
Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #54
Master Chef

It isn't time, really, to start again yet here. But I wanted to spend some quality yard time with new doggie, so did some trimming of the perennial herb plants. She loved it, sniffing sage, mint, etc. I was surprised that my greens bed is already sporting some spinach! Time to train puppy not to pee in the garden beds!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
HURRAY for me! My farmer friend will sell me as many truckloads of well aged manure as I want for $40 a load! But the real good thing is the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included; and he lives 25 miles away!

I have heavy clay soil and am using raised beds 8 by 16 feet each. He sells me his old hay for mulch for $1 a bale [the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included].

I will plant all the usual suspects and a few fruit trees!
Do you have to wait for your manure to mellow or is it already mellow?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Has anyone tried planting in bales of straw? It sounds interesting for those of us with very little space or for raised gardens.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Has anyone tried planting in bales of straw? It sounds interesting for those of us with very little space or for raised gardens.
I haven't tried that, I did plant in old tires a long time ago--the tomatoes and squash did well and I was able to park the tires on the edge of the driveway, fill them with good soil...also, I have heard that using plastic garbage bags as a technique for people who have limited space and want to do raised beds but not make raised beds. Perhaps one of the master gardeners can enlighten us about raised beds and limited space?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Do you have to wait for your manure to mellow or is it already mellow?
It's mellow!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #59
Cupcake

I'll be watching the weather carefully because I placed my strawberries in their planters today. It's going to hit 70 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow and I thought they should enjoy proper sunshine.

Down to 48 degrees Fahrenheit tonight.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #60
Master Chef

Site Moderator

We are past the "last frost date" (March 15) but if it gets cold you can place the pot next to the house and the radiant heat should keep it. You can also toss a sheet over them.