Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kathleen good job, the grow your own addiction has another victim, soon you will be using the famous Bob Flowerdew composting method and reading seed catalogues in bed:)

I put the seeds in envelopes, label them, and then put the seeds in a spare canning jar. This way, mice can't get into the envelopes (mice love seeds, old farmhouses are havens for mice ...). When I put the envelopes in a drawer, the mice got into some of them.

Kathleen good job, the grow your own addiction has another victim, soon you will be using the famous Bob Flowerdew composting method and reading seed catalogues in bed:)

Famous Bob Flowerdew composting method??? What is it? I need compost! I would have not got anything in the ground without Frank's help.

I'm wondering if she has seen, "The Good Life (Good Neighbors)."

I missed that one!

I put the seeds in envelopes, label them, and then put the seeds in a spare canning jar. This way, mice can't get into the envelopes (mice love seeds, old farmhouses are havens for mice ...). When I put the envelopes in a drawer, the mice got into some of them.

Good idea! It's how I keep any treat I have mouse-free at work!

Good idea! It's how I keep any treat I have mouse-free at work!
The farmhouse where the garden is dates back to about 1880. Even though the DH gutted the house and re-did it, we still have the ocassional mouse between the walls and the ceiling between the lower level and the 1/2 storey above. No matter how much I yell--they still like being up there. We haven't had any in the "house proper" but I don't want to tempt them. I also keep all the flour, grains, etc., in glass jars, tin (metal) cans (in plastic bags) or the freezer (if there is room). To make sure the mice don't get at the seeds, I keep the seeds in jars. Mice can eat through plastic containers/bags, but I haven't met one yet that can eat through glass or metal (or get in the freezer). Don't know that I want to meet that mouse...

Last edited:
The farmhouse where the garden is dates back to about 1880. Even though the DH gutted the house and re-did it, we still have the ocassional mouse between the walls and the ceiling between the lower level and the 1/2 storey above. No matter how much I yell--they still like being up there. We haven't had any in the "house proper" but I don't want to tempt them. I also keep all the flour, grains, etc., in glass jars, tin (metal) cans (in plastic bags) or the freezer (if there is room). To make sure the mice don't get at the seeds, I keep the seeds in jars. Mice can eat through plastic containers/bags, but I haven't met one yet that can eat through glass or metal (or get in the freezer). Don't know that I want to meet that mouse...

You need cats. :LOL:

You need cats. :LOL:
Problem is--the DH's two dogs are "not cat friendly." Not a safe environment for cats. I had a cat before "they" arrived. Didn't have mice then.

Even though I'm allergic to most cats (not all--I've had cats and enjoyed having them) but I have a "thing" about subjecting cats to dogs that are "cat negative." Fortunately, his dogs arrived after my 22-yr. old cat had gone to Rainbow Bridge. I'm not getting any cats while those two are still around. Fortunately, they are old--so it won't be too much longer before I can have a cat again. Mouse control, and a cat is cosy to cuddle up with on the sofa. Just can't have one that has any Siamese in it.

And--cat, skunk, porcupine, all the same to those two. At least the Saints know the difference and run the other way from skunks and porcupines. And, they like cats--in a positive way.

Last edited:
Problem is--the DH's two dogs are "not cat friendly." Not a safe environment for cats. I had a cat before "they" arrived. Didn't have mice then.

Even though I'm allergic to most cats (not all--I've had cats and enjoyed having them) but I have a "thing" about subjecting cats to dogs that are "cat negative." Fortunately, his dogs arrived after my 22-yr. old cat had gone to Rainbow Bridge. I'm not getting any cats while those two are still around. Fortunately, they are old--so it won't be too much longer before I can have a cat again. Mouse control, and a cat is cosy to cuddle up with on the sofa. Just can't have one that has any Siamese in it.

Then when hubby gets puppies later, the cats can teach them who's boss.

Famous Bob Flowerdew composting method??? What is it? I need compost! I would have not got anything in the ground without Frank's help.
Kath you will need Franks help again, Bob Flowerdew is a host on the BBC's gardeners question time, he is very old school, you build your compost heap using equal amounts of brown(dead leaves ect) green (grass mowing's) kitchen waste including egg shell then you urinate on it regularly.The pic about 8th from the end of these is one of my compost bins I made it out of wood, the pic is a year old and the heap was about a year old so I plant courgettes in them at that stage, when the crop is finished I just leave the plants to rot down. I will dig it into the beds this weekend. garden pictures by Hvar2010 - Photobucket if this works put the page on slideshow.

You know that makes you Lisa and Kathleen Oliver, so she gets to play with the gas powered tools while you make the hot cakes. :ROFLMAO:

Kath you will need Franks help again, Bob Flowerdew is a host on the BBC's gardeners question time, he is very old school, you build your compost heap using equal amounts of brown(dead leaves ect) green (grass mowing's) kitchen waste including egg shell then you urinate on it regularly.The pic about 8th from the end of these is one of my compost bins I made it out of wood, the pic is a year old and the heap was about a year old so I plant courgettes in them at that stage, when the crop is finished I just leave the plants to rot down. I will dig it into the beds this weekend. garden pictures by Hvar2010 - Photobucket if this works put the page on slideshow.

I don't have that kind of space!

@ DaveinMD - He can make some pretty strong coffee.

@ PF - We don't have pigs either.....or chickens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom