Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you don't get the key soon I'd pass on the peas. They take about 60 - 75 days to mature and produce after they germinate (7-10 days). As you know spring here can switch to summer heat very fast and peas don't like the heat. If you don't get them in this spring, buy the seeds, put them in a jar with a tight lid, drop in one of those silicone packs to stop moisture, seal the jar and put it in the back of your refrigerator on the bottom shelf. Then plant them in early August for a Fall harvest. I think our first-frost date is October 15th, but I have to check. I find I get better results with the cool weather veg as fall plantings, at least down here.

Dave, I'm down here in S. Fla so our seasons are different, but I wanted to ask you a question about saving tomato seeds until next season. Last year I let tomato seeds dry on a paper towel, sealed them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer. I did get a couple of them to grow this season but am wondering if your silicone/jar/refrigerator method or maybe another way would be better. I have a nice candidate ripening on the vine right now :mrgreen: so this is very timely. Thanks.

I have never saved tomato seeds from a tomato. I think one of my gardening books has instructions on seed saving. I'll check it out tonight and let you know what I find out. FYI - depending on what variety the tomato was, you might not get the same plant/tomato as the parent/original.

Its a lovely sunny day today DSCF0005.jpg

I have never saved tomato seeds from a tomato. I think one of my gardening books has instructions on seed saving. I'll check it out tonight and let you know what I find out. FYI - depending on what variety the tomato was, you might not get the same plant/tomato as the parent/original.

Thanks a lot, Dave. And the variety of my seed-saver candidate is "Lowe's has got tomatoes already" -- I lost the plastic stick with the name on it in the frenzy to get it planted last winter, but they're a nice, sweet salad tomato.

I also have the plant from saved, frozen Brandywine heirloom seeds from the farm stand crop last year that's putting out quite a few small tomatoes, stripedy, still all green. So they just may be Franken-maters, huh? :)

Thanks a lot, Dave. And the variety of my seed-saver candidate is "Lowe's has got tomatoes already" -- I lost the plastic stick with the name on it in the frenzy to get it planted last winter, but they're a nice, sweet salad tomato.

I also have the plant from saved, frozen Brandywine heirloom seeds from the farm stand crop last year that's putting out quite a few small tomatoes, stripedy, still all green. So they just may be Franken-maters, huh? :)

I would expect heirloom seeds to be less franken-likely. Well, maybe there were another variety of tomatoes within pollination distance and they are cross breed. Maybe that's what brandywine tomatoes look like as babies?

We save seeds from everything except squash because squash cross polinates if the squash are planted too close to another variety. The pepper seeds sometimes work, sometimes don't. We've dried pepper seeds from peppers we've bought in the store and they've produced.

But to save the tomato seeds, we just seed them, wash the seeds (rinse them), dry them on a paper towel (near the wood stove), and store them in envelopes. Given that we plant about 300-350 tomato plants each year and harvest about 3000 lb of tomatoes, I'm guessing how we save the seeds works. We plant Brandywines, Purple prince, a yellow heirloom one I can't remember, and Romas, yellow pear, grape, and one I call "MN heirloom" (saved the seeds from tomatoes I bought at the organic farmers market when I was there and it was an heirloom--but I can't remember the variety--nice tomatoes). Brandywines aer ugly, have thin skins, but oh, the flavor...maybe we could all do a seed exchange next fall?

I'm still looking. It wasn't in the book I thought it was in. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of having lots of books and a not-so-great memory. :wacko:

I'm still looking. It wasn't in the book I thought it was in. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of having lots of books and a not-so-great memory. :wacko:

Hey, Dave - call off the dogs if you like. CWS says it's possible to use the paper towel method (I never rinsed off the seeds before saving - interesting), and sounds like the voice of experience here. Thanks for looking, but unless it's keeping you awake.... ;)

The only seeds we have a problem with germinating are pepper seeds (seeded, washed, and dried). We get some to germinate, but definitely not the same percentage that the tomato seeds germinate. I'll have to ask the DH if he's ever counted the number of seeds vs. the number of seedlings re: tomatoes vs. number of pepper seeds vs. germination rate. There are other ways to save seeds, but we've been saving seeds this way for over 10 years...and, we don't have to go to the nursery to buy tomato plants <g>.

CWS, when you say you put them in an envelope -- do they go in the freezer or fridge then?
TL, when and if I save seeds I just pit them in an envelope ( after they are dry) then throw them in a drawer ti stash them.
What type of peppers do you use? I tried a sweet pepper called cubanelle last summer...Wonderful sweet and when yoou throw them in a skillet with evoo they come out and with a dash of salt are to die for I got another Italian on I can't remember the name of when it turns RED do the same as the cubanelles I was told they are heaven

kadesma

FWIW here is what my book says for tomato seeds:

Cut open the tomato and scoop out all the seeds and pulp. Place in a bowl or jar and add add a little water. Let sit at room temperature for 4 days and stir once a day to prevent mold from forming. Each day pour off the pulp and seeds that float to the top. The viable seeds will have sunk to the bottom.

After 4 days remove the viable seeds from the bottom, rinse well, drain and spread the seeds out on news paper and allow to dry for one week.

FWIW here is what my book says for tomato seeds:

Cut open the tomato and scoop out all the seeds and pulp. Place in a bowl or jar and add add a little water. Let sit at room temperature for 4 days and stir once a day to prevent mold from forming. Each day pour off the pulp and seeds that float to the top. The viable seeds will have sunk to the bottom.

After 4 days remove the viable seeds from the bottom, rinse well, drain and spread the seeds out on news paper and allow to dry for one week.

Thank you very much, Dave. Sounds foolproof (fortunately for me). Wish I could have my seeds and eat them, too. I love the juicy part of the tomato. I've heard people say they're too gooey & icky - not so here. Hate a tomato? Im-poss-i-ble.

And for kadesma, I don't do peppers -- that was CWS. Peppers being all the rage these days, maybe I should try harder to like them. Actually, I'm waiting for the next ingredient fad; hope it'll be something I do like.

Thank you very much, Dave. Sounds foolproof (fortunately for me). Wish I could have my seeds and eat them, too. I love the juicy part of the tomato. I've heard people say they're too gooey & icky - not so here. Hate a tomato? Im-poss-i-ble.

And for kadesma, I don't do peppers -- that was CWS. Peppers being all the rage these days, maybe I should try harder to like them. Actually, I'm waiting for the next ingredient fad; hope it'll be something I do like.
Sorry TL I better pay closer attention. And I hope the next rage is something you love.
kadesma:)

Try julienning peppers. I don't like getting a chunk of pepper in my mouth, but it is certainly a nice ingredient. I love putting julienned bell peppers in salad cut the julienne strips to less than 2 inches long). I also don't like stuffed peppers, because there is just too much pepper.

I like hot peppers.

I finally got my key to the community garden. After working all day to try to work the soil, I was so pitiful that Frank hoed, shoveled, and tilled the soil. He even was able to work compost in to a fourth of my plot! :wub:

I met two resident gardeners, who had lots of advice to share!

I was also able to get a few baby plants into the ground. Here are a few pictures of the plot and process! :)

Attachments

• First View of Plot March 26.jpg
    First View of Plot March 26.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 144
  • After Weeding and Tilling March 27.jpg
    After Weeding and Tilling March 27.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Starting to Waken March 27.jpg
    Starting to Waken March 27.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Attempting Square Foot Gardening.jpg
    Attempting Square Foot Gardening.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 141
  • March 27 2011.jpg
    March 27 2011.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Looks great. Don't be surprised if you and your dh are sore as all get out tomorrow. But it goes away and you can have a little fun giving each other back rubs. Enjoy your garden.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom