Starting Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I've started some Roma Tomato and the 5 Peppers (Burpee brand) seeds 3 weeks ago.Nothing from either flat has started to grow.

I started them in the plastic 6 packs with potting soil.Didn't plant them too deep.
Kept the soil moist,not wet or soggy.
Brought the flats in at night and covered them in plastic
It's been in the high 70's and low 80's here lately.
They go outside early morning.Placed in a sunny spot to where they will get full sun for at least 8 hours.Brought them in at night.

Any ideas of what I could try besides patients?

Thanks.

Munky.

Last year I covered mine and didn't give them any sun and they sprouted in two weeks. I just gave them a warm spot to do their thing and I didn't have any problem. Are you removing the plastic each day? I was told keeping them covered was key.

Munky'
I start my seeds about the same way you do. It's always cold here in MI when I start them so I place the tray on a cookie sheet on a heating pad set to low. When the seeds begin to germinate I place another tray on the heating pad. I leave the pad on at night and turn it off during the day. Be sure and check under the plastic from time to time and vent it so air can circulate a bit. If I leave them totally covered mold begins to grow and that's bad news for the seed! My tomatoes germinated within a week and a half but the peppers took two weeks to start. If I don't have anything up in the pot by a months end I simply reseed the pot and start again. Good luck.

Munky'
I start my seeds about the same way you do. It's always cold here in MI when I start them so I place the tray on a cookie sheet on a heating pad set to low. When the seeds begin to germinate I place another tray on the heating pad. I leave the pad on at night and turn it off during the day. Be sure and check under the plastic from time to time and vent it so air can circulate a bit. If I leave them totally covered mold begins to grow and that's bad news for the seed! My tomatoes germinated within a week and a half but the peppers took two weeks to start. If I don't have anything up in the pot by a months end I simply reseed the pot and start again. Good luck.

Thank you for the info.I'll check into the heating pads.
I'll give them 2 more weeks.Then I'll try a few alternate ideas of germination.The ziplock method, or the smaller roll your own pots.

I'm beginning to think I should have left them in the bay window in my kitchen.It's a huge glass window with plenty of light with 2 smaller side sliding windows for ventilation.
At night the heating vent blows in that direction.
Every morning I took the flats outside.It's a possibility that the seeds might have moved down too deep in the packets.

If it doesn't work I'll just chalk it up to "It happens" no worries,we have nursery's for ppl like me :)

Munky.

I did mine last year without any direct sun. I actually put them on top of my fridge and they had no problem sprouting. I don't know that sun is necessary for sprouting. Once they've sprouted they need the sun, but not necessarily before. I did a "set it and forget it" thing with mine and I had great success.

I agree that moving them might not have been the best thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom