"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Upside-Down Tomatoes?

I was watching TV the other night while sitting with Mom at the hospital and saw a commercial that really interested me - and reminded me of the thread about planting tomato plants sideways. How about upside-down?

The product was the Topsy Turvy™ Upside-down Tomato Planter - they made a claim that got my attention - that since the plant was upside-down more nutrients traveled to the fruits easier ... but, after doing a Google on upside-down tomato plants ... it seems this just might be a valid technique - not only for tomatoes but other vegetables as well!

Humm ... could I really just build an arbor and hang my vegetable garden upside-down from it?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

Interesting, we could hang these off the side of the garage and house and they would be decorative and productive.
Kinda reminds me of hanging gardens, but I don't think they were planted upside down, just allowed to cascade down.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Michael,
I saw this several years ago and am really considering doing several plants just to see how it goes. Since I have to be careful what I do now, I plan to hang the plants from the patio. They will get full sun as requested and we shall see what I get..
I think it's going to be fun for the grandkids...

kadesma
Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

I have to tell you - this idea works!!

My dad saw the commercial and decided to try it for himself. I don't think he bought them - he's the kind of guy that can figure out how to make virtually anything. Anyhow, the tomatoes grow out of the bottom of the pot, and he planted annuals on the top. The tomatoes are super healthy and need no stakes! Also, since the pots are hanging, they are beautiful additions to the landscaping.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Head Chef

My mom brought me an upside down tomato about 5 years ago--she just put it in a big terracotta pot, and it did fine.

A plastic pot would hold water better, and be lighter to hang.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Senior Cook

seems like those planter would be easy to make out of plastic buckets with lids or even garbage bags..lol..just not as pretty.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage™ View Post
seems like those planter would be easy to make out of plastic buckets with lids or even garbage bags..lol..just not as pretty.
Well, I don't know about trash bags (they would need a wire cage to support them probably?) but a 5-gallon bucket would work fine (see here for instructions) and if you leave the lid off - you can grow herbs in the same container!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I was watching TV the other night while sitting with Mom at the hospital and saw a commercial that really interested me - and reminded me of the thread about planting tomato plants sideways. How about upside-down?

The product was the Topsy Turvy™ Upside-down Tomato Planter - they made a claim that got my attention - that since the plant was upside-down more nutrients traveled to the fruits easier ... but, after doing a Google on upside-down tomato plants ... it seems this just might be a valid technique - not only for tomatoes but other vegetables as well!

Humm ... could I really just build an arbor and hang my vegetable garden upside-down from it?
hanging plants would be good, animals would not be able to get to it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Sure would keep the furry visitors out of them, now wouldn't it?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
DC Grandma

Very interesting reading Michael...
How is your Mother doing?
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote