"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Executive Chef

so far I have growing 12 celery, 6 flat leafed parsley, 15 broccoli and cabbage, 3 hot peppers, 9 green peppers and about 600 onion plants. I am still 8 weeks away from my last frost date. That means I will start tomatoes and basil in about 2 weeks.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
Master Chef

My deck is far too shady for growing herbs, but I do have room for a one large and one small herb pots on the steps to the front entry, which faces the south. I put Italian parsley in the smaller one, and the larger one holds rosemary, thyme, and oregano. As those are all perennials, when it gets cold, I move it inside the entry, and leave it there until the temps start getting below 20. I bring them in to the greenhouse then, because I want to use the herbs all winter.
But they could stay in the protected location all winter, as long as it doesn't get too dry. The water in the soil freezes at 32, and stays that temperature, protecting the roots from colder temps. Don't over-water though, or the roots will rot.
My greenhouse employees used to think I was crazy when I sent them out in January to water the perennials in the cold frames, because the plants looked dead. But when they starting popping up the next spring, they were amazed.

I plant sweet basil, sage, and more Italian parsley out in the vegetable garden. They grow much better in the ground than they do in pots.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
Interesting on the blueberries in H-Town wonder how they will do in all that heat and humidity I am surprized that you do good with grapes. I need to find a grape variety that will do well here in cold hot humid dirty philly....

I know, they said it was a variety good for this area. We grow something called muscadine grapes which are native to Texas and the SE. There's actually tons of species of wild grapes in Texas. We usually just make jelly out of 'em.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When we lived in an apartment, DH wired window boxes to the outside of the fire escape railing - that was my first herb garden Maybe if you can put the herbs on the railing around the verandah (since presumably the containers are smaller and lighter), you'll have more room on the verandah for the larger tomato and chile plants? HTH.
i REALLY like that idea....
have a SO who's not so keen on greenery hehehe, im pushing it with the corner of the balcony and am growing him chillis LOL
*wonders how to incorporate the idea* *wonders really really hard*
ok now i just have to a Railing Herb Garden
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #25
Senior Cook

So far just...cilantro and cherry tomatoes...some basil,garlic chives and vidailia onions are next an the agenda. I have to plant in pots as I live in an RV named "Herbie"-on a lake in the Florida Panhandle...42/72 here and beautiful.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
Senior Cook

muscadine wine...

I live in the Florida Panhandle and mucadine grapes are bountiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anau View Post
I know, they said it was a variety good for this area. We grow something called muscadine grapes which are native to Texas and the SE. There's actually tons of species of wild grapes in Texas. We usually just make jelly out of 'em.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
Executive Chef

yesterday I sowed my basil and a bunch of zinnias. Am getting ready to start the tomatoes, just a few, maybe 12 to 15 plants.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
yesterday I sowed my basil and a bunch of zinnias. Am getting ready to start the tomatoes, just a few, maybe 12 to 15 plants.
You aren't planning on eating the zinnias are you?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
You aren't planning on eating the zinnias are you?
hmm my dog seems to think daffodil buds are yummy!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I always plant flowers among my veggies and herbs. They add a lot of color, attract butterflies and insects that pollenate the veg and they make the garden look great There are many edible flowers to choose from too. Just to a web-search for edible flowers.