"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Mother Earth News has a great urban gardening site. I have a 8x10 deck and plan do grow strawberries in hanging baskets, tomatoes, cukes, flowers, and herbs. I also plan to grow lettuce. There are a ton of options!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Master Chef

In addition to herbs, you might think of edible flowers -- pretty to look at, peppery to add to a salad. Marigolds and nasturtiums come to mind. Can be done in a window box or even a small pot.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
Head Chef

If you want to try the Topsy Turvey way of growing things, you can always get a heavy cast iron umbrella base and put one of those multi-armed pole things in it, with plants underneath it on the floor of the balcony.

We grew herbs in window shelf plantars on a plastic shelf unit outside for several years with a drip irrigation system set up in it. Course you have to remember to make sure to put something heavy on the bottom.

I've been thinking about setting up a shelving unit inside in front of a window that gets bright morning sun in the summer to grow lettuce and argula year round as it's too hot by mid-april for either here.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Is there a reason that you can't just grow tomatoes in a hanging basket and let them "flop" over the edge and grow sort of upside down?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Senior Cook

My theory is the Topsy Turvey works better in northern climates because the roots are on top and allowed to warm up better during the day. We can have problems with overheated roots in potted plants down here.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Is there a reason that you can't just grow tomatoes in a hanging basket and let them "flop" over the edge and grow sort of upside down?
I was thinking the same, but with strawberries!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
Sous Chef

fwiw, in south central PA and earlier in northwest Phila burbs, I had zip comma zero success with the updside-down-theory/plants/kits. sounded like a neat idea, didn't work out in the end. and I'm an avid gardener - as in hundreds of sq ft in veggies. as in "root crops" I love.... as in "had a 18x24 hobby greenhouse.... and paid to heat it . . .

tomatoes need full sun; so far as I can guessimate - the exposed pot/basket/container basically overheats and cooks the roots. I've raised tom. seedlings from seed - some put in the ground, actually in less than "full sun" but that's more hair of a shaggy dog story - same batch of seedlings in a 3 gallon 'upside down" arrangement. results were pretty much "ground plants were late (sun thing)" upside down plants.... well, they made good compost, but that's about it.

up at 5:00 am, peruse/tend the greenhouse, water the garden, water the hanging garden, still no worked for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I tried hanging one tomato plant last summer...it turned itself "upside down" and tried to grow right-side up. No luck with that.

I have an amazing plant starter rack that has grow lights and trays. I just don't have a window big enough for it--except for the french doors going out to the backyard at the "other house." The problem--the french doors are the doors the dogs use to go outside. True, the rack has wheels on it, but it would be a real pain to move it out of the way all the time for the dogs to go out. I use it to start seedlings in the spring, but had the same idea, lettuce and radishes in the winter...I've done the Belgian endive thing--that was a lot of fun. We harvested the endive for Christmas that year.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a friend who grows upsidedown tomatoes and has had great success, and she lives in Mexico, where it gets extremely hot! Do not know what her secret is.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

my guess is larger diameter buckets (5 gal. or better) and the fact that real tops turvys have an insulating wrap that looks like tyvek, and there's probably something about growing the right variety of tomatoes that way.

for those who've had success upside down, were the plants a determinate variety, or indeterminate?

were they heat resistant hybrids, or closer to an heirloom?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote