"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #1
Executive Chef

What variety Onions do you grow, and want do you do to ensure success ?

Ive been gardening for 25 years , and grew up helping my father with his garden , so I consider myself a relatively experienced home gardener ( except when it comes to onions ).

I was just curious what varieties work for you, and if you have any techniques that ensure predictability and success from year too year.

Due to my location, Long Day varieties are advised ( and what ive been doing consistently)

Ive tried Alisa Craig, Copra, walla walla, Spanish yellow and a few other varieties.
Ive used high nitrogen fertilizers ) as directed).

As far as I know, Im following all the growing directions accurately.

I grow them in raised beds with controlled soil and irrigation

I order from: https://www.dixondalefarms.com

Its not that I never have luck, just very unpredictable. Maybe 1 out of every 4 years is good ( and never great). If it was 1 out of 4 I'd chalk it off as maybe just not ideal weather conditions, but its too frequent to give Mother Nature all the blame. Ive had other crops do well in the same location over the years so I dont think its a sun issue.

IM thinking maybe Im just putting too much thought and effort and over thinking. I just laugh when I do all this reading and prep work, follow directions and then someone I bump into, with little experience just tosses them in without a care and has a much greater year than I do.

Same thing happened with my neighbor across the street. Ive been trying to grow watermelons for years, with little or no luck ( usually they just dont have enough time to ripen fully). Anyway, he was sitting on his front stoop, spit a seed into the dirt next to his driveway, and a few months later, was sharing his harvest with al the neighbors. I just dont get it.

Anyway, back to Onions, any tips or suggestions id appreciate

Thanks

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
Head Chef

Of those varieties that you listed, Copra is one I have seen listed many times on some gardening forums, as a favorite of some of those growing onions.

I had the same problems with onions many years ago, with them being unpredictable, as well as most not being good for storage. I gave up on them, for these reasons, plus the fact that they are so cheap, and one of the safer veggies to buy non-organic, since little is sprayed on onions. I grow onions for scallions, and when I have some extra space, I'll plant some shallots (had too many cloves of garlic on this planting, to plant shallots, but I might, still) - saves me more money, and more predictable.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Of those varieties that you listed, Copra is one I have seen listed many times on some gardening forums, as a favorite of some of those growing onions.

I had the same problems with onions many years ago, with them being unpredictable, as well as most not being good for storage. I gave up on them, for these reasons, plus the fact that they are so cheap, and one of the safer veggies to buy non-organic, since little is sprayed on onions. I grow onions for scallions, and when I have some extra space, I'll plant some shallots (had too many cloves of garlic on this planting, to plant shallots, but I might, still) - saves me more money, and more predictable.
Pretty much my attitude, I just hate when I do everything right ( theoretically). and it just doesn't work as expected.

I already started planning next years garden and have cut amount of onions significantly, but I, still going to give it the good old college try and see if I can make any progress ( I have similar issues with beets and carrots, just not as predictable as other crops I grow, but like an ass, I keep growing them).
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onion, onions

« Today's harvest | - »