"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #221
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quite a haul!
For the zucchini, you might try this:
Slice lengthwise, a little egg wash, dredge in seafood breader mix (failing that, use some flour or corn meal mixed with Old Bay Seasoning to taste), salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly fried till golden.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #222
Head Chef

I grew pattypan squash this year for the first time, and I absolutely love them. They are so pretty, white with scallop-y edges, and very tasty and productive. I pick them when they are teeny and cook them like zucchini--browned in butter, or grilled, or steamed.

The garden is struggling--we have had almost no rain all summer, and my water bill is outrageous, just trying to keep my perennials alive. Thank goodness for natives like coneflower and coreopsis. The lawn is brown, and even the trees on the mountainsides are losing their leaves. No much chance of rain in the forecast, hay crops down by half, pastures burnt up. We don't grow many row crops in this county, but in the neighboring counties the corn is pretty much a total loss. Beef prices may go down for a while, because people don't have enough hay to last thru the winter so many cattle are going to market, but corn and bean prices will likely skyrocket.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #223
Senior Cook

I seeded two, only two, Giant Kohlrabis. And boy are they doing well. I covered them with netting as Cabbage Butterfly will soon be here. Why I love growing these giants:

They will at maturity be about 8" in diameter if things continue well.

Being solid, they make much more sauerkraut than cabbage and are easier to grate than cabbage.

In spite of being so large compared to normal, little kohlrabi, they are smooth, tender and fine inside, no stringy-ness or coarseness. Amazing for a large variety of anything. And delicious, of course.

They keep well in a cool place for a long time! A couple of months anyway.

Now if that isn't the perfect vegetable...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I grew pattypan squash this year for the first time, and I absolutely love them. They are so pretty, white with scallop-y edges, and very tasty and productive. I pick them when they are teeny and cook them like zucchini--browned in butter, or grilled, or steamed.

The garden is struggling--we have had almost no rain all summer, and my water bill is outrageous, just trying to keep my perennials alive. Thank goodness for natives like coneflower and coreopsis. The lawn is brown, and even the trees on the mountainsides are losing their leaves. No much chance of rain in the forecast, hay crops down by half, pastures burnt up. We don't grow many row crops in this county, but in the neighboring counties the corn is pretty much a total loss. Beef prices may go down for a while, because people don't have enough hay to last thru the winter so many cattle are going to market, but corn and bean prices will likely skyrocket.
They are very prolific and, they keep well. We grow those every year. I too treat them like zucchini.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #225
Chef Extraordinaire

The dragon beans (from Sunday) and green beans were put in a 3-bean salad (had some garbanzo beans/chick peas left over from the weekend). Added red onion, some hot pepper flakes, feta cheese, juice of 1 lemon, 3 slices bacon, crumbled, bacon fat, EVOO, kosher salt.

I'm turning the zucchini into zucchini slaw.

Recipe Details

The beets are going to be grated and dressed with EVOO, vinegar, S&P--my favorite way to eat beets.

These are all going to be eaten tonight with stuffed pork chops.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #226
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, CWS that is a lot of vegetables, that is great that you have so much fresh produce just out back
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #227
Chef Extraordinaire

I sit here and read about everyones gardens. My heart aches to get out and dig in the soil again. We have a place to grow whatever we want. They are patches that look like grave sites. You can reach across them from either side. No one has grown anything there for the past two years now. One resident died and the other is getting up there is years. So I am going to see if I can get the grounds people next year to at least turn over the soil for me on about five patches. Most of the residents here are Italian. So I would love to grow some heirloom tomatoes along with Romas, cukes and eggplants. I know there will be too much for me to use, so I will make it so that the residents can pick what they want. I also want to plant a patch of herbs. Specially basil and flat leaf parsley. And maybe one patch for flowers. I will have to start nagging in March to get what I want. I can get seeds with my EBT card as long as the seeds are for food items. And I can buy food plants that are already started. Son #1 doesn't know it yet, but he is going to help me. I will let him know about it around May.

Management provides the hoses and water hookup. I should ask if they have any tools I can use. My SIL has mine. Maybe I should get them back. I also want management to provide a shed to keep tools in.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #228
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I sit here and read about everyones gardens. My heart aches to get out and dig in the soil again. We have a place to grow whatever we want. They are patches that look like grave sites. You can reach across them from either side. No one has grown anything there for the past two years now. One resident died and the other is getting up there is years. So I am going to see if I can get the grounds people next year to at least turn over the soil for me on about five patches. Most of the residents here are Italian.
addie, do you know anyone in prison?

if so, send them a letter saying that theier secret is safe, and you buried the evidence in your garden plot.

since all prison mail is screened, the feds will show up the next day and dig up the plot, obviously finding nothing.

but you'll get your garden turned over for free.

pretty clever, huh?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #229
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
addie, do you know anyone in prison?

if so, send them a letter saying that theier secret is safe, and you buried the evidence in your garden plot.

since all prison mail is screened, the feds will show up the next day and dig up the plot, obviously finding nothing.

but you'll get your garden turned over for free.

pretty clever, huh?
You know bt, you might have something there. I once worked on the One to One program for prisoners that were being released from a Federal Prison at McNeil Island in Washington State. We helped prisoners acclimate to living out in the real world. The prisoner my girlfriend was working with ended up at the Federal Prison in Marion, Ill. He went mad and is now insane. My prisoner ended up committing suicide. He couldn't adjust to living on the outside. Too much noise. Terrified of crossing the street. But I did get to know some of the other prisoners. I will have to try to remember the names of some lifers.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #230
Executive Chef

Addie, you sound like my DxW-- "Son #1 doesn't know it yet, but he is going to help me. I will let him know about it around May. " She never clued me in on any plans she hatched right up until it was time for the action to start. heheh.

I've got green beans, cucumbers and green tomatoes but no red ones yet. Basil, tarragon, mint and a few tabasco peppers coming in. I'm still picking blueberries ( got buckets frozen) and raspberries are all done and frozen waiting to make preserves when it's a tolerable bit cooler.